Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Mastercard - 50,000 bonus points (40,000 easy)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
anyone have experience with requestion the difference in miles from the respective bonuses? would be nice to earn an extra 5-10k miles since I signed up under the older offer earlier this year.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin
anyone have experience with requestion the difference in miles from the respective bonuses? would be nice to earn an extra 5-10k miles since I signed up under the older offer earlier this year.
I got the 35K offer this spring (approved in late March). Asked for the extra 5K via secure message not long after -- June, maybe -- & was flatly denied.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by beltway
I got the 35K offer this spring (approved in late March). Asked for the extra 5K via secure message not long after -- June, maybe -- & was flatly denied.
I got the card about a month ago, and my secure message last week met the same response.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver
business card same time as personal?

Thank you for posting the 40k bonus link. Just got a personal approval for myself and spouse.

I see the business card link is for only 25k bonus and you have to pay the annual fee of 89$.

I do not see any language stating only one offer person or any other language precluding getting the business card at the same time and getting that bonus too. Yes, The bonus is less and there is a fee so not as good as the personal card.

has anyone heard of problems getting the business card at about the same time as a personal card and getting both bonuses?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by detony
I see the business card link is for only 25k bonus and you have to pay the annual fee of 89$.

I do not see any language stating only one offer person or any other language precluding getting the business card at the same time and getting that bonus too. Yes, The bonus is less and there is a fee so not as good as the personal card.

has anyone heard of problems getting the business card at about the same time as a personal card and getting both bonuses?
I'm not aware of a bar to getting both bonuses, but -- as noted above -- Barclays seems very skittish about extending a lot of credit to any single customer.

That said, if you haven't already done the Starwood cards, they're a better deal right now: 10K first purch + 20K for $4500 spend/3 mos. That's worth at least 39.5K US miles -- more if you wait for one of the periodic transfer promotion bonuses -- with no fee for the first year. (The Starwood hotel program is also pretty sweet, but I digress.) More miles and less cost than the Barclays biz card; if you can manage $4500 in spending over the first 3 months, it's a no-brainer.

(And yes, I'd love to refer you -- worth 5K to me -- but no referral is required.)

Last edited by beltway; Aug 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm Reason: fixed typos
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
thanks guys. i will call to ask anyway, but i won't be expecting anything.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by FOX85
Do you get 3 miles for gas purchase and 2 miles for grocery and utilities?
I am just asking because I usually just see the 1 mile per dollar spent.
No mention of anything higher then 1 mile per dollar spent.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by yuel
No mention of anything higher then 1 mile per dollar spent.
There are occasional short-term bonuses, however. I was targeted via postal mail for double miles May 1-June 30. (As usual for anything associated with US, the T&C were a masterpiece of ambiguity. It wasn't clear whether the bonus applied to all spending in any month where spending exceeded $400, or only on the portion above $400.) Since it hasn't been 6-8 weeks from 6/30, no bonus has posted yet.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, US Chairman's, Star Alliance Gold, Delta Gold, AA Gold
So I just applied for this card on the mostmiles website...

I instantly got accepted and registered on the barclays website..

However, when can I expect to get the physical card or the necessary details to be able to make online purchases?

Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by sacgrad2002
So I just applied for this card on the mostmiles website...

I instantly got accepted and registered on the barclays website..

However, when can I expect to get the physical card or the necessary details to be able to make online purchases?
If memory serves correctly, Barclays is quite slow about mailing the card. I recall that mine took between 1 and 2 weeks to arrive.

If there's some urgency for you, just call them & ask.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yep, about a week and a half from approval to card in hand. I think they offered to rush shipment of the card for a fee.

Only got this as a backup for when DL wants too many miles. IIRC 1st year fee waived, companion cert + lounge pass have already arrived in the mail. 40k 1st purchase, and then the balance transfer was 1 mile per $1 up to 10k, which is a joke at 24.99% APR (not sure how one has a good enough credit score to get a 5 digit limit but an APR like that...)

@#$% award redemption fees on US, too...
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:05 am

There are occasional short-term bonuses, however. I was targeted via postal mail for double miles May 1-June 30. (As usual for anything associated with US, the T&C were a masterpiece of ambiguity. It wasn't clear whether the bonus applied to all spending in any month where spending exceeded $400, or only on the portion above $400.) Since it hasn't been 6-8 weeks from 6/30, no bonus has posted yet.
I got the same targeted deal, for July and August spends over $250 a month. At first I thought it was just double miles. Yay!! Then I saw that it said you have to spend at least $250 for each month. OK, I can do that... Then, upon further and closer examination, it seemed to be saying that only the amount ABOVE the $250 would be doubled. OK, whatever. But they could have said that in the first place...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:51 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, US, RR, HH, SPG, PC
reconsideration phone number

I applied for this tonight and I got the "this requires more review" but you can check www.mystatus....

So I check and it says I am decline. I go in to look at the communication and it says it's declined because I have another pending application for a Juniper Bank product. Huh? It explicitly states the denial is due to already having a pending application and that they never pulled my report.

I just checked my credit reports before applying and I have nothing of the sort from Barclays since 2010 and even then I'm not familiar with Juniper Bank.

Anyone have the reconsideration number for Barclays or can point me in the right direction to get this figured out? I'm curious to see exactly what this mysterious application is.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by haiderodes
Anyone have the reconsideration number for Barclays
I believe it is 866-408-4064. Googling that number certainly produces a number of hits (from multiple sources) so indicating.

I should add that in my experience, this number connects you to a credit analyst in the US who will be far more clueful and helpful than the average Barclays line CSR.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, US, RR, HH, SPG, PC
I believe it is 866-408-4064. Googling that number certainly produces a number of hits (from multiple sources) so indicating.

I should add that in my experience, this number connects you to a credit analyst in the US who will be far more clueful and helpful than the average Barclays line CSR.
Thanks! Apparently the fact that I applied last year (when my credit rating wasnt as high) is what blocked the application from going through. The analyst ran it through himself and approved me.

He couldn't confirm the bonus - I'll just do that when I call to activate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.