Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Note: this Wikipost is a quick summary of what dcpatti put together in post 1, on page 1 of this thread. Feel free to make changes to this post, or PM aztimm, if you find something incorrect or needs more detail.

Shuttles are the nonstop flights between DCA (DC-Washington National), LGA (NY-LaGuardia) and BOS (Boston-Logan).

What's different about the shuttle?
You'll get an early morning snack on departures before 9 am, and free beer or wine in coach all day long. First Class refreshments are similar to other US flights of a similar length.

I heard some stuff about not being able to pre-assign seats.

The Shuttle used to work a little differently to other flights but has recently changed to using the same pre-assigned seating as all other flights. You should be able to select your seat at the time of booking now. In addition the Shuttle is no longer open-seating, instead it follows the normal US seating procedures with varying charges for ChoiceSeats. As with other flights these seats are not available for free at T-24.

What about upgrades?
They'll work just like regular flights, with the first comp upgrades being given at the 7-day Chairmans window. Upgrade seats will be available for non-elites at check-in or by calling at 24-hours before the flight.

I heard they have weird ideas on boarding.
NOTE: In addition to what is below, GalleyWench posted the following (post #91 on 5/12/13):
just read that starting May 22nd the shuttle will start boarding like mainline, no more front to back. Will try to get the specifics in the next couple days.
The Shuttle flights don't board by zone even if there's one on the boarding pass. You'll find a ton of elites on these flights, and if most of the plane holds Zone 1 or 2, then boarding doesn't go very fast. So they revert to the old-school boarding by rows. Folks who need assistance first, then First Class, then the last rows of the plane, working forward to the front.

I heard they have weird ideas on deplaning, too.
In some cases, they will deplane Shuttle flights from both the front aircraft door via jetway and the rear aircraft door via stairs.

Anything else that's different?
In NYC-LaGuardia you'll exit the terminal through a different exit, in the center of the gate area and down a flight of stairs. You'll be on the curb in about 4 minutes.

Can I go home early?
Sure. With the exception of the very peak travel times, you can usually get a seat on an earlier Shuttle. US charges a $50 fee for a confirmed stand-by for an earlier flight. This fee is waived for Elites and for certain passengers on full-fare Y/B tickets.

Can I go home late?
Technically, US Airways does not offer any accommodations to those who "miss" a flight; if you want to change into a later flight with a confirmed seat, you'll need to pay the change fee plus any fare difference. But in many cases, passengers who are tardy for their flights are re-ticketed onto the next available flight as a courtesy.

Where are my gates?
  • At BOS, you'll be at Gates B16-B19.
  • At LGA, you'll be at Gates C17-C22.
  • At DCA, you'll be at Gates 41-44 (North Pier/C Concourse)

Can I hang out in a club or lounge?
Each airport has a US Airways Club and an Admirals Club. Your US Club membership (annual or 30-day) will allow you access to any of these, but US day passes will only work at US-branded clubs. Note that not all Admirals Clubs are easily accessible from US-operated gates.

Club locations:
  • At BOS (map)
    • US Club in Terminal B, between security checkpoint and Gate B4.
    • Admirals Club in Terminal B, near Gate B30 next to Swatch store (requires lengthy walk airside through UA concourse).
  • At LGA (map)
    • US Club in Terminal C, next to Gate C28.
    • Admirals Club in Concourse D, near Gates D1-D2 (requires landside connection, with boarding or gate pass).
  • At DCA (map)
    • US Club in the North Pier/C Concourse, Mezzanine level.
    • Admirals Club in the Central Pier/B Concourse, Mezzanine level (airside shuttle bus service available).

Anything else I need to know?
Taxi fare from LGA to Midtown Manhattan will be $30-40 depending on traffic and route; DCA to downtown DC/ K Street area will be about $20; and BOS to downtown Boston will be about $30. There are public transport options as well.

There is a separate Shuttle baggage claim and check-in desk at LGA and separate kiosks at DCA. Separate Shuttle check-in desk at DCA is located downstairs near Security. There is supposed to be a separate security lane for Shuttle at DCA but it's almost never open. Passengers can also check in at regular US Airways kiosks and counters.
Print Wikipost

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sts603
Why? This has been one of the best improvements in domestic travel recently. Allows elites and F to bypass the masses if they can't/don't make it to the gate for pre-boarding.

Plus it helps full-service carriers differentiate themselves from the heffer haulers for the passengers who really pay the bills.
The USS is probably 90%+ elite. Boarding zones make no sense in that situation. Am sure there is some poor slob in Zone 2, but not many.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Often1
The USS is probably 90%+ elite. Boarding zones make no sense in that situation. Am sure there is some poor slob in Zone 2, but not many.
hmmm.. are you sure about that? At least on the BOS/DCA routes, I constantly see AA and DL elites, since US is really the only carrier serving the route. I'm sure there are also plenty of UA elites. I bet the number of actual US elites is lower then a lot of routes such as PHL-SFO which touch US hubs.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by doctor15
hmmm.. are you sure about that? At least on the BOS/DCA routes, I constantly see AA and DL elites, since US is really the only carrier serving the route. I'm sure there are also plenty of UA elites. I bet the number of actual US elites is lower then a lot of routes such as PHL-SFO which touch US hubs.
That's my experience as well - I'm pretty sure a lot of the families traveling are not elites. Of course, I'm usually using it for leisure travel, so travel at non-elite times. The prime-times (morning/evening) likely are more elite-heavy.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
That's the conventional wisdom on FT, but it doesn't ring true from my experience. I flew the DCA-BOS shuttle very frequently for a year. As a lowly silver, I got upgraded all the time. At least 75% of the time. And I flew at peak times (mornings/evenings, often Mondays and Thursdays).
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cactus47
That's the conventional wisdom on FT, but it doesn't ring true from my experience. I flew the DCA-BOS shuttle very frequently for a year. As a lowly silver, I got upgraded all the time. At least 75% of the time. And I flew at peak times (mornings/evenings, often Mondays and Thursdays).
I'll second this. I qualify for Preferred primarily off of the legs I take on this route, and I got upgraded a majority of the time as a Silver. Like you, these were often at peak business travel times.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: US Gold
Are the load factors up significantly since DL pulled out of DCA-BOS? Flights look quite full/$$$ for this Thursday and Friday.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by NESkier
Are the load factors up significantly since DL pulled out of DCA-BOS? Flights look quite full/$$$ for this Thursday and Friday.
I think it has more to do with it being spring break in Boston.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Market share?

I assume that US has the dominant market share between BOS-NY-DCA (compared to Delta and whatever other airlines fly the route)? How does US do vs. the Acela?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:47 am

Thanks for this excellent post! Very helpful.

I have a shuttle flight DCA-LGA on sunday but am looking to maybe return the day before (saturday) so I'm assuming the $50 earlier flight option won't be an option. Or is it? If not, are there any other options for taking a shuttle flight home a day earlier short of a complete re-fare/change penalties?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:06 pm

US Airways Shuttle Boarding Process

Hi,

I am Star Gold (Premier Gold with United) and flew on US Airways this weekend roundtrip from DCA to BOS. I checked-in right at 24 hours to get a good seat (frustrating that this cannot be done at time of booking). I ended up with 5D on both flights.

For both flights my boarding pass printed with Zone 1, but I was one of the last ones to board as they boarded by row, back to front. Annoying but not a big deal. I thought maybe the gate attendants were not following the correct process, until they did the same thing (ignored boarding zone and boarded by row, back to front) in Boston when I was boarding my flight to return to DCA. However, this time, by the time they called row 12, the gate attendant said all roller suitcases needed to be checked-in for pickup at baggage claim at DCA as the flight was full and there would be no more overhead bin space on the aircraft. Reluctantly, I obliged, let them tag my suitcase, and left my suitcase at the end of the jetway as instructed. I boarded the plane and noticed the overhead bins over our seating area rows 4-9 were empty - completely empty. I asked the flight attendant why they demanded we check our bags in with all this free overhead space; she said she didn't know. I asked if I could get my bag from the jetway and bring it on board; she said no as it would be a breach of security to retrieve the bag once it has been tagged. Most of the bins had remained empty for the flight; there was plenty of room for at least six to eight roller board suitcases. When I arrived at DCA, I waited a solid 30 minutes at baggage claim before my bag arrived.

Anyway, is this normal or a fluke? Star Gold means nothing on a US Airways shuttle flight? Boarding zones are ignored, and boarding is by row, with those last to board sometimes required to check-in their carry-on luggage? I was hoping to take these US shuttle flights more frequently since Reagan is more convenient, but if my experience this weekend is the norm, I'll gladly be driving the extra miles to Dulles to fly United.....

Thanks for reading!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
It's been discussed many times on FT that Shuttle flights board back to front and Zone # and status do not matter. I suppose they want to load and go.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Shuttle is pretty much full of elites from back to front. Most are Zone 1

hence boarding from back to front is a standard practice for it.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:32 pm

Thanks, I looked through a week of posts and did a quick search on shuttle flights but couldn't find a thread on the boarding process. Sorry for the duplicate posting.
I don't mind the back to front boarding but it is frustrating that I am forced to check-in carry-on luggage, adding 30 minutes the trip, especially when the overhead bin space is empty. I guess I need to purposely select a seat half-way back to avoid this.
I flew very late Friday and mid-day Sunday; while the planes were full, there definitely did not seem to be a lot of elites. I agree that is not the case during the work week though. Either way, I don't know why they can't board back to front using zones and still keep the elites happy and let them board first (remember the elites are tiered too so can be divided amongst a few zones if necessary). Even though it is considered a shuttle, the A319 is not exactly a small plane; there are 124 seats.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
The shuttle is the opposite of conventional thinking if you're seated in Y, sit as far back as possible - you'll get to board first, and get off the plane first (they push up rear air stairs).

Even as a US Chairman, I've been in the forced to check a bag situation when I've made a last minute change to a reservation and sitting in row 4 - though I've been lucky sometimes and have had gate agents / FA's do me a favor and gate valet or store my bag in the closet.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by ferguson99
Either way, I don't know why they can't board back to front using zones and still keep the elites happy and let them board first (remember the elites are tiered too so can be divided amongst a few zones if necessary). Even though it is considered a shuttle, the A319 is not exactly a small plane; there are 124 seats.
Because elite zone boarding takes extra time. Remember, we're talking about a flight with a total block time of 1:03 operating in the most congested airspace in the country. Every minute counts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.