Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Old May 15, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Note: this Wikipost is a quick summary of what dcpatti put together in post 1, on page 1 of this thread. Feel free to make changes to this post, or PM aztimm, if you find something incorrect or needs more detail.

Shuttles are the nonstop flights between DCA (DC-Washington National), LGA (NY-LaGuardia) and BOS (Boston-Logan).

What's different about the shuttle?
You'll get an early morning snack on departures before 9 am, and free beer or wine in coach all day long. First Class refreshments are similar to other US flights of a similar length.

I heard some stuff about not being able to pre-assign seats.

The Shuttle used to work a little differently to other flights but has recently changed to using the same pre-assigned seating as all other flights. You should be able to select your seat at the time of booking now. In addition the Shuttle is no longer open-seating, instead it follows the normal US seating procedures with varying charges for ChoiceSeats. As with other flights these seats are not available for free at T-24.

What about upgrades?
They'll work just like regular flights, with the first comp upgrades being given at the 7-day Chairmans window. Upgrade seats will be available for non-elites at check-in or by calling at 24-hours before the flight.

I heard they have weird ideas on boarding.
NOTE: In addition to what is below, GalleyWench posted the following (post #91 on 5/12/13):
just read that starting May 22nd the shuttle will start boarding like mainline, no more front to back. Will try to get the specifics in the next couple days.
The Shuttle flights don't board by zone even if there's one on the boarding pass. You'll find a ton of elites on these flights, and if most of the plane holds Zone 1 or 2, then boarding doesn't go very fast. So they revert to the old-school boarding by rows. Folks who need assistance first, then First Class, then the last rows of the plane, working forward to the front.

I heard they have weird ideas on deplaning, too.
In some cases, they will deplane Shuttle flights from both the front aircraft door via jetway and the rear aircraft door via stairs.

Anything else that's different?
In NYC-LaGuardia you'll exit the terminal through a different exit, in the center of the gate area and down a flight of stairs. You'll be on the curb in about 4 minutes.

Can I go home early?
Sure. With the exception of the very peak travel times, you can usually get a seat on an earlier Shuttle. US charges a $50 fee for a confirmed stand-by for an earlier flight. This fee is waived for Elites and for certain passengers on full-fare Y/B tickets.

Can I go home late?
Technically, US Airways does not offer any accommodations to those who "miss" a flight; if you want to change into a later flight with a confirmed seat, you'll need to pay the change fee plus any fare difference. But in many cases, passengers who are tardy for their flights are re-ticketed onto the next available flight as a courtesy.

Where are my gates?
  • At BOS, you'll be at Gates B16-B19.
  • At LGA, you'll be at Gates C17-C22.
  • At DCA, you'll be at Gates 41-44 (North Pier/C Concourse)

Can I hang out in a club or lounge?
Each airport has a US Airways Club and an Admirals Club. Your US Club membership (annual or 30-day) will allow you access to any of these, but US day passes will only work at US-branded clubs. Note that not all Admirals Clubs are easily accessible from US-operated gates.

Club locations:
  • At BOS (map)
    • US Club in Terminal B, between security checkpoint and Gate B4.
    • Admirals Club in Terminal B, near Gate B30 next to Swatch store (requires lengthy walk airside through UA concourse).
  • At LGA (map)
    • US Club in Terminal C, next to Gate C28.
    • Admirals Club in Concourse D, near Gates D1-D2 (requires landside connection, with boarding or gate pass).
  • At DCA (map)
    • US Club in the North Pier/C Concourse, Mezzanine level.
    • Admirals Club in the Central Pier/B Concourse, Mezzanine level (airside shuttle bus service available).

Anything else I need to know?
Taxi fare from LGA to Midtown Manhattan will be $30-40 depending on traffic and route; DCA to downtown DC/ K Street area will be about $20; and BOS to downtown Boston will be about $30. There are public transport options as well.

There is a separate Shuttle baggage claim and check-in desk at LGA and separate kiosks at DCA. Separate Shuttle check-in desk at DCA is located downstairs near Security. There is supposed to be a separate security lane for Shuttle at DCA but it's almost never open. Passengers can also check in at regular US Airways kiosks and counters.
Print Wikipost

LUS: (Almost) Everything you wanted to know about the LUS / AA Shuttle

Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by UAL250
One more question for you guys.

What's the chance of a flight from DCA-BOS being delayed on Black Friday? I don't want to miss my next flight from BOS to SFO. Are cancellations and/or delays common or only unlucky?
Luck or bad luck.

If you are concerned, why not fly IAD-SFO. Eight non-stops on UA. Or at least IAD-JFK-SFO and try the p.s. service if you can swing a C or F ticket? Or, if that doesn't work, give yourself an extra hour and take the next earlier USS.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I already booked it, and I have no issue with IAD but DCA is just way more convienent for me. I will try and get there around 8am for the 10:30 flight. I looked on DCA's website for flight schedules and it looks like there is no 9:30 flight on Friday. Can someone confirm/unconfirm this? There should be one, as the flight schedule said everyday DCA-BOS at 9:30 X67 (Except Sat and Sun)
Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:19 pm
Suspended

I already booked it, and I have no issue with IAD but DCA is just way more convienent for me. I will try and get there around 8am for the 10:30 flight. I looked on DCA's website for flight schedules and it looks like there is no 9:30 flight on Friday. Can someone confirm/unconfirm this? There should be one, as the flight schedule said everyday DCA-BOS at 9:30 X67 (Except Sat and Sun)
If you want to confirm, why not call US and ask?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Expert flyer confirms that there is no 930 on the 25th.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:54 pm

So is there any reason I should get to DCA really early for the 8:30 flight? Like I've said a million times I need to make the SFO flight. Is there a reason or will I be fine with no delays on Black Fri? How early would I need to get to DCA for the 8:30 to make it? 7:45? Thanks again so much!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
One more question for you guys.

What's the chance of a flight from DCA-BOS being delayed on Black Friday? I don't want to miss my next flight from BOS to SFO. Are cancellations and/or delays common or only unlucky?
This is from my personal experience:

I fly DCA-BOS 4 times a month. Delays are pretty common between 1pm and 6pm flights. Lots of air traffic at that time and sometimes weather. I flew DCA-BOS on 18 November and the delay was roughly 25 minutes. I at times, opt to go back to BOS on Saturday mornings on the first flight out to avoid the mess at DCA.

Originally Posted by dcpatti
How's it different from the Delta shuttle?

Delta Shuttle routes also include ORD-LGA; the Delta shuttle is primarily serviced by E175 aircraft but some routes (LGA-BOS) are on A319. The DL A319 on the Shuttle routes, more often than not, has wi-fi service for a fee. Delta Shuttle does not have a first class cabin and does not offer pre-assigned seating. The US shuttle is a mainline flight while the DL shuttle is operated by Shuttle America. At LGA, the DL shuttle lands at the Marine Air Terminal.

[/I]
The Delta Shuttle: DCA-LGA has 6 seats in First and LGA-BOS is a A319 with 16 seats in First with open seating as you noted.

Overall, thanks for putting this together DCPatti ^!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:22 pm

This is a 10:30 am flight. So not in the 1-6 range
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:16 am
Suspended

So is there any reason I should get to DCA really early for the 8:30 flight? Like I've said a million times I need to make the SFO flight. Is there a reason or will I be fine with no delays on Black Fri? How early would I need to get to DCA for the 8:30 to make it? 7:45? Thanks again so much!
Black Friday has nothing to do with anything. What people are trying to tell you is that you are flying out of a busy and congested airport, through busy and congested airspace and into a busy and congested airport at a time of year when there is variable weather.

You can look at the on-time percentages for the flight and make your own judgment, but there is nothing you can do beyond accept the fact that there are many variables and many alternatives.

As scheduled, you have significantly more time than you will need to make your connection. But, delays happen and nobody can predict what will happen.

It's clear that you are stuck with this odd routing and that you are nervous about your connection. So, why sweat it? Take the 8:30 AM, arrive early and have a cup of coffee or buy a day pass at the UC.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Since when does US operate BOS-SFO?

If you are connecting in BOS, then keep in mind that you need a terminal switch to get to either CO or UA.

Are both flights on a single PNR? Which carrier issued the ticket?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Since when does US operate BOS-SFO?

If you are connecting in BOS, then keep in mind that you need a terminal switch to get to either CO or UA.

Are both flights on a single PNR? Which carrier issued the ticket?
OP's post says that he is flying UA xBOS and knows that he has to switch terminals. He asks about interline bag check and checkpoint delays.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Shuttle Still Boards by Row?

Does the BOS-DCA-BOS Shuttle still board by row (vice zone)?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by warreng24:18372677
Does the BOS-DCA-BOS Shuttle still board by row (vice zone)?
Yes, shuttle boards by row instead of zones. Wish every flight did
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:09 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Yes, shuttle boards by row instead of zones. Wish every flight did
And get rid of that ridiculous boarding lane crap..... Atleast the shuttle doesnt use it....
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cwe84
And get rid of that ridiculous boarding lane crap..... Atleast the shuttle doesnt use it....
Why? This has been one of the best improvements in domestic travel recently. Allows elites and F to bypass the masses if they can't/don't make it to the gate for pre-boarding.

Plus it helps full-service carriers differentiate themselves from the heffer haulers for the passengers who really pay the bills.

Last edited by sts603; Apr 12, 2012 at 6:47 am
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
mistake

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.