Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by vincentvan
It is points.com. The miles post almost immediately.
As of 23 June 2010 points.com discontinued this signing bonus.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat
does ANY transaction from points.com keep your account alive ???

For example I transferred 10 miles OUT of USairways into something else.
I forget, but it was to keep something else alive.

Anyways the transaction is in my usairways account as "exchange miles" "-10"
will that count to keep the account alive or do you need to be ADDING miles only ?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
It's any transaction, whether positive or negative. So transferring points out should count. I know others have redeemed a small chunk on a magazine subscription to keep an account active so I see no reason why a points.com transfer out of US wouldn't count as well.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Dividend miles dining. Points should post within a week of your dine.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, SkyPesos peon
Dividend Miles Expiration Date

As a very infrequent US flyer, Mrs. Catdad runs the risk that her Dividend Miles account mileage might expire. Before the end of 18 months from the date of her last activity, she needs to fly, dine, charge, donate, or in some fashion patronize any Dividend Miles partner.

She complains every time she logs into Dividend Miles that her miles expiry date is nowhere clearly stated. Yes, with multiple points and clicks, she can research prior Dividend Miles postings from past periods, using the awkward
"filter changes" bar on the YOUR MILES page. She can then derive on her own the date her Dividend Miles will likely expire.

Wouldn't it be easy for US Airways to add to the member summary: "Your miles expire on ___________." I believe the Dividend Miles computer knows precisely when to take away those expired miles. Why would the DM Programmers not want to make the expiry date easy to find and visible on the
YOUR MILES page?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:11 pm

Ah but then that would help customers. If more people were aware of their expiration date fewer accounts would expire and US would lose the potential to charge someone a fee to reinstate their recently expired miles. Can't have that in the age of fees now can we?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by catdad
...Wouldn't it be easy for US Airways to add to the member summary: "Your miles expire on ___________." ...
I understand that some US DM members have trouble getting the monthly e-statements, but for some time now, in the e-statement member summary section is the following reminder:
To keep your account active, earn miles before xx/xx/year.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:27 am

Also, I track all my points balances across the various airline and hotel programs at awardwallet.com - and they list an expiration date if it's in the airline's site or can be calculated based on last activity date.

There's a thread about awardwallet in MilesBuzz.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:31 am

+ 1 for awardwallet. I use it to track my programs plus various family members.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I also use awardwallet to track all of my expiration dates, but a "loyal" member shouldn't need to pay a 3rd party to find data that US should make easily accessible. It shouldn't be that hard to put in on your home DM page, as many others do.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:08 am

Thank you CPRich! That's the point of the post. Why not list the expiration date for all DM members, and particularly for the relatively inactive DM members? I have read here that US sends a letter near the expiration date. This confirms that they, at least, see the need. Wouldn't it be better to avert complaints by making the expire date part of the basic information?

Remember that inactive DM members with no activity do not receive a statement to help with the record keeping.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:15 am

One further salient point: I certainly have no doubt that the failure to list an expire date on the member's DM log-in page is some sort of web design or space available issue.
Let's not kid ourselves. This is just another little deception US Airways has gotten away with. Tempe thinks the more expired miles the better. Why tell the customer about an impending expiry date, when DM wants the miles to go away quietly.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
One further salient point: I certainly have no doubt that the failure to list an expire date on the member's DM log-in page is some sort of web design or space available issue.
Let's not kid ourselves. This is just another little deception US Airways has gotten away with. Tempe thinks the more expired miles the better. Why tell the customer about an impending expiry date, when DM wants the miles to go away quietly.
If they're trying to hide the expiration date then why email it every month to every member? I'd be more inclined to think that whatever IT leadership is there, hasn't yet thought of putting it on the website. The revenue-generating features are always going to be the first ones added in but honestly if Tempe was hoping to pull a fast one on folks and slip the expiration by unsuspecting pax, why on earth would they be sending a reminder to them each month?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...Remember that inactive DM members with no activity do not receive a statement to help with the record keeping.
I disagree. I keep up the US DM account for an elderly aunt who hasn't flown for a long time, and her e-statments keep on coming monthly.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by kudzu
I disagree. I keep up the US DM account for an elderly aunt who hasn't flown for a long time, and her e-statments keep on coming monthly.
Just out of curiosity how long has her account gone without any activity. For example, if she has the DM credit card that is used monthly it would make sense that the monthly DM statements would be sent.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.