Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rzamora
Hello,

Could you use the companion certificate to purchase 2 business or first class tickets or would it be better to use points to upgrade from economy seats? I only have 35,000 points and no elite or silver status. Thanks
You cant purchase first class with this cert. It is valid only for economy class.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca
You cant purchase first class with this cert. It is valid only for economy class.
Ah thanks for pointing that out. I first asked where you saw this, but then noticed I was just not seeing it. I guess we read what we want to hear sometimes.

From the cert
Rates are only applicable on qualifying tickets in certain fare classes in coach
So much for the easy 50% COS bonus. At least preferred upgrades still apply. Can't complain about sitting in first on such a great deal.

Last edited by javacodeguy; Jan 5, 2012 at 9:43 pm Reason: Reread T&C closer
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Belated mea culpa

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I think you are okay re bags either way:
  1. When you check in together, as long as one of you is Silver...
  2. Even if your mom isn't, she will have Barclay's US Mastercard and that should allow you guys free bag checking.

Others will correct me if I am wrong here, but this is basically win/win for your situation. Just make sure that credit card gets paid promptly monthly !
Originally Posted by beachbrew
I'm could be wrong, but I don't think free bags is a benefit of having the mastercard. Let me know if I am wrong though.
Originally Posted by wfdude
Unless something has recently changed with the Barclay's MC benefits, you do not get free checked baggage allowance for having the card. Other airlines cards do this, but US does not yet. (I sure wish they would, but thankfully I'm silver and don't ever check more than one bag.)
No, you guys are right ... I was wrong. Sorry. Hope the "Silver together" thing worked out okay ...
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:42 pm

Thank you all for your assistance.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Miles to UA?

Would it be possible to book the trip with the cert for me and DH, but then change the miles credit to UA before travel? We have a boatload of US miles thanks to Grand Slam and would like to spread the wealth around a bit.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Do you have to use the US Air Mastercard to pay for $250+ flights you are using with the companion certificate? Or can you use another credit card?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Yes, you must used the US credit card.

Last edited by apeortdz; Jan 12, 2012 at 6:28 am Reason: clarification
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by slocouple
Would it be possible to book the trip with the cert for me and DH, but then change the miles credit to UA before travel? We have a boatload of US miles thanks to Grand Slam and would like to spread the wealth around a bit.
You can credit the miles for the companion ticket at check-in for UA*. Did it last month, when I flew on a companion ticket

*I'm certain this can be done for the person flying using the certificate, but I guess the person who actually paid the full price (and gave the CC to the friend) can change it, too.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Can someone post the blackout dates in February 2012? My cert should arrive in the next few weeks but need to know if I'll be able to use it... TIA!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by lt1GM
Can someone post the blackout dates in February 2012? ...
Systemwide: Feb 17, 26

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities:
Feb 2, 3 to IND
Feb 6, 7 from IND
Feb 16 to MSY
Feb 22 from MSY
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:07 pm

Question

Does anyone have experience booking the over-$250 ticket plus the two companion passes for someone other than the cardholder? I can't find anything in the fine print that says it has to be the cardholder flying, just "purchasing" the ticket. My dad got this card and wants to use it to fly my two children and I out for my little brother's wedding. Do you still have to CALL to book the companion passes? That really does seem like false advertising on their part, if the tickets actually cost $124...
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I'm due for my companion certificate any day now. Do you recall whether it arrives after the statement that includes the annual fee or before? I seem to remember that last year the cert came before the annual fee was assessed. I'm ready to book the moment it arrives.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:55 am

I'm unable to locate my companion certificate (misplaced it or it got thrown away). I'm nearing the 6 months expiration date from when I opened my account.

Has anyone had any luck receiving a replacement companion certificate? If so, how did you go about getting one?

Do they send a new certificate after 6 months if you haven't used it, or is it only once per year?

Thanks FT!

Last edited by discretely; Jan 31, 2012 at 9:41 am
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:30 am

I'm purchasing a one-way ticket for 300+ and was hoping to use the $99 companion ticket but from reading this thread i can't use it. Any way around this?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I know the cert says "Contiguous USA". On the back is says not valid to alaska, hawaii, or puerto rico. But what about St. Thomas (USVI)? Has anyone had any luck?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.