Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time flying 1st class-Going to Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Actually they are with some restrictions where alcoholic beverages aren't permitted. From the FA handbook:

• Beverage service - All beverages are complimentary in First Class (FC).

Predeparture beverage service is offered on every flight where permitted.

— Alcohol may not be served for departures from Florida, New Mexico and some International flights.

• In countries where carts containing liquor are required to remain sealed until after take-off, the soft drink drawer in the equipment cart is used for pre-departure beverages. This drawer remains in the equipment cart and is restocked prior to landing in any country other than the U.S.

• Alcohol is not permitted at any time on flights to and from New Mexico.

GalleyWench has given some common sense examples of situations where the FA may not offer PDB's, but there's no policy that says that.

Jim
Nice use of selective quoting. Did you not see the rest of my quote??
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: None
The parts where you asked about special situations where one shouldn't feel "entitled" to a PDB? Read it all, just quoted the part where your answer disagreed with US policy, which I quoted. What you call "selective quoting" I call only quoting the part that is pertinent to my reply. In this case, the official policy is that FC passengers are entitled to a PDB of their choice with the only qualifiers being places where an alcoholic PDB is requested but the locations laws don't allow serving alcoholic beverages on the ground (or anytime in the case of NM).

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Jan 20, 2011 at 9:57 am
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
Nice use of selective quoting. Did you not see the rest of my quote??
Your post missed a significant point in the post to which you were replying, and that is the manner in which the "No" was conveyed: "The flight attendant refused to give him anything, because 'you will never finish it before takeoff.'"

The FA didn't say "Sir, I'm so sorry, but we haven't been catered yet" or "We've started boarding too late, is it OK if I bring one when we're in the air?"

I'm well aware of the flippant responses one gets from FAs, but I think when the answer is "No" to a request for a service that you're otherwise reasonable to anticipate, the answer needs to be delivered with care, and the reason needs to be provided (and it needs to be reasonable and true). "You'll never finish it" isn't the right way to handle a reasonable request. I'm fine when someone asks for Champagne and the FA appropriately jokes in return, but this is a little different.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Just flew in from OGG, we got delayed out due to a mechanical issue, after waiting to have fuel removed, we had to fly into HNL (after 11pm btw) and the item was fixed in about an hour. We didn't even have to get off the plane. We eventually got into PHX about 3 hours late.

I was seated in 1A, not the best for me since I'm 6'3", but hey, when you're an employee you take what you can get About 2 - 3 hours before landing we got a breakfast, I was one of the last to wake so I got a rather tasty granola with milk, a warm banana nut muffin and a fruit plate.

The movie was enjoyable, was one I hadn't seen, slept for a while, then awoke to enjoy a Simpson's episode and my first Glee episode, then back to sleep till breakfast.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Just flew in from OGG, we got delayed out due to a mechanical issue, after waiting to have fuel removed, we had to fly into HNL (after 11pm btw) and the item was fixed in about an hour. We didn't even have to get off the plane. We eventually got into PHX about 3 hours late.

I was seated in 1A, not the best for me since I'm 6'3", but hey, when you're an employee you take what you can get About 2 - 3 hours before landing we got a breakfast, I was one of the last to wake so I got a rather tasty granola with milk, a warm banana nut muffin and a fruit plate.

The movie was enjoyable, was one I hadn't seen, slept for a while, then awoke to enjoy a Simpson's episode and my first Glee episode, then back to sleep till breakfast.
This Bostonian is jealous, as we await another foot of snow.

To your flight, (MX issue aside) I've flown US to OGG and HNL on the 757's numerous times and to HNL on the 767 twice. While the 767 was certainly an improvement with the Envoy seating, I really don't mind the 757's. All of the crews I've had on my flights to Hawaii have been so stellar that any lack of amenities is quickly out of sight, and out of mind. And you're going to Hawaii, for God's sake! Throw down some cocktails (in your LARGE plastic cup), and have fun!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by USFlyer26
This Bostonian is jealous, as we await another foot of snow.

To your flight, (MX issue aside) I've flown US to OGG and HNL on the 757's numerous times and to HNL on the 767 twice. While the 767 was certainly an improvement with the Envoy seating, I really don't mind the 757's. All of the crews I've had on my flights to Hawaii have been so stellar that any lack of amenities is quickly out of sight, and out of mind. And you're going to Hawaii, for God's sake! Throw down some cocktails (in your LARGE plastic cup), and have fun!
Oh I wasn't complaining. And in fact the FA's service was very attentive and stellar. Sometimes I think about giving out some of the A&B's I get to my fellow employees (but I mail them in cause I could really do with winning that 10k! LOL). Wish we had a similar in-house program...

My post was just to supply info to the OP about the meal and to respond to one post about when flying into HNL for a repair after 11pm. Sorry if it came off as if I was complaining. I was tickled pink to manage to snag the last F class seat Of course, I've enjoyed the -67 envoy seats and wouldn't mind if our west -57 got them installed like those on the east And yes, I threw down my fair share of cocktails on the flight!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Oh I wasn't complaining. And in fact the FA's service was very attentive and stellar. Sometimes I think about giving out some of the A&B's I get to my fellow employees (but I mail them in cause I could really do with winning that 10k! LOL). Wish we had a similar in-house program...

My post was just to supply info to the OP about the meal and to respond to one post about when flying into HNL for a repair after 11pm. Sorry if it came off as if I was complaining. I was tickled pink to manage to snag the last F class seat Of course, I've enjoyed the -67 envoy seats and wouldn't mind if our west -57 got them installed like those on the east And yes, I threw down my fair share of cocktails on the flight!
Oh, I know you weren't complaining!! Sorry if my reply came off that way. My post was more to address some of the nitpicky comments up-thread.

Last edited by USFlyer26; Jan 20, 2011 at 1:33 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:53 pm

And you're going to Hawaii, for God's sake! Throw down some cocktails (in your LARGE plastic cup), and have fun!
+1
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

I was wondering when I take the flight to Maui will I have access to wifi? Is there a charge for it?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:48 pm

Only if your flight to PHX is on an A321, and yes there is a charge for it. All Hawaii flights from PHX are on 757's, and they are not wifi equipped. Only US's A321's are wifi equipped.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:33 pm

All Hawaii flights from PHX are on 757's, and they are not wifi equipped.
Note that for the over-water segment you won't do better on any other airline. WiFi is provided by ground-based systems, and therefore isn't available over water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.