Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:30 pm

Quick q - so after enrolling in the trial preferred challenge last month, I mistakenly flew a couple of flights using my AA # instead of my new US Airways #. Is there any way to rectify this?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: US CP, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Arsey00
I've read the bulk of the thread (mostly the 2014 part) and I don't know the answer to my question...

Is it confirmed anywhere that CPs will get 8 more SWUs deposited into their account when the accounts are merged?
Yes. You will get 2 immediately upon earning CP, which will expire when the programs merge; then 8 after the merge (as an EXP). You technically get 10 total, but you should use the 2 from earning CP as soon as possible, before the merge.

ref: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...p#eliteupdates (click under "On American")
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Janhaus
Quick q - so after enrolling in the trial preferred challenge last month, I mistakenly flew a couple of flights using my AA # instead of my new US Airways #. Is there any way to rectify this?
I don't think so...? according to the AAdvantage T&C:

- After your flight departs, you will not be able to change your selection of a frequent traveler program for earning mileage credit.

- You will not be able to transfer mileage you accumulate in the AAdvantage program to any other carrier's program, nor can you transfer mileage you accumulate in another carrier's program to the AAdvantage program.

ref: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...Conditions.jsp (search for "frequent")

But I could be wrong... I've never actually tried. But my gut says it's not possible; esp. in your case, where the flights had happened in the past.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
If you already got your miles, the answer is No, but if they haven't deposited your miles yet, you can contact Customer Relations and ask them. Usually you may able to change your # when you arrive at your destination (many did it after they got their upgrade), but since you already flew a couple of flights... your chances are very, very slim.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:13 am

If i decide to go for the UA status challenge -- can i book my flights through Chase Ultimate Rewards and still have those miles flown on UA or AA count towards the status challenge? Or do tickets bought from third parties not count towards the goal?

Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I haven't tried getting miles redeposited into a different account from the US side, so the advice you've been given may be correct, but from AA's perspective it's fine. You have to call the airline where the miles were mistakenly credited first and get them 'released', then call the airline you want them shifted to. Often they ask you to send a copy of your boarding pass.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Didn't you realize when you didn't get the upgrade emails that something may be wrong?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Circuits
I never cleared a single significant upgrade flying my trial as gold (all on AA metal), even with family ponying up SWU for my international legs. US GP simply doesn't have enough priority to get very high on the list for C seats. I cleared some domestic F upgrades, which I had to pay a fare-based upgrade for, vice using E500s from my AA account, since the itineraries were booked under my US number to count towards the trial. The domestic F will be free if you're flying US metal, of course, and I've got no experience as to what your upgrade chances will be on US operated flights.

Most of my trial flying was international, and buying up to the gold trial does give you complimentary MCE on AA, and sapphire OW lounge access for your extra $200. Between my translant (PRG) and transpac (HKG) MR destinations, that was probably worth $700 or more in MCE charges, and arrival lounge access for showers and such was a nice bonus.

Remember you'll be earning 50% bonus halfway through your trial no matter whether you start a silver or gold challenge, and 75% 3/4 of the way through as you make gold and platinum, respectively, so the 25% vs 50% really only applies to the first 15k miles of your trial. Cash value of the extra bonus is gonna be 3750 miles whatever cpm you assign to your miles earned - roughly $50 to $100 in my case.

I thought it worthwhile to purchase the gold trial, just for the MCE access.
Thanks....

I am leaning towards doing a long haul on AA (60-70% of 30k trial) first and the MCE factor and OW lounge access adds to my decision to start at Gold. Then balance (30-40%) on US domestic transcons where(hopefully) upgrades will be nice bonus...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by askyfullofstars
If i decide to go for the UA status challenge -- can i book my flights through Chase Ultimate Rewards and still have those miles flown on UA or AA count towards the status challenge? Or do tickets bought from third parties not count towards the goal?

Thanks
It doesn't matter how or where you buy the tickets (as long as they are AA or US metal flights; no other partner airlines). What you need to make sure of is that you attach your US Airways Dividend Miles number to your AA flights (and obviously your US ones as well).
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Repeating my question:

OK - I'm currently CP + Plat on the 2 airlines, with a 17K trip over Thanksgiving.
If I post 17K to US, I'll be Silver US + Gold AA pre-merger in 1Q2015.
I'd be at least 2nd tier / 50K+ combined at merger (since school curtailed travel on US/AA this year), but not 100K total.
However, if I credit the 17K to AA, I could "boost" to Plat, but that has no miles' credit associated with it, and there is no 75K tier post-merger, so I had decided not to do that. I'd be 2nd tier anyway post-merger.

QUESTION TO YOU FOLKS:
I'll not requal for CP this year (esp. w/o triple PQM promo email), so shall I:
1) let the trip miles go to AA instead, fall out of any status on US, and then hope there is still the opportunity to challenge CP for 30K miles in March before merger in 2Q2015? or
2) send the trip miles to US, make Silver again on them (and Gold on AA), and be AA Platinum in 2015 post-merger?
Will Option #1 work?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:57 am

I just called AA to release the miles and then US Airways to shift them in. The changes have been submitted, just have to wait for AA to approve now. Whew, looks like it might work out within the next couple weeks. FYI for anybody who made the same newbie mistake I did

Originally Posted by Arsey00
I haven't tried getting miles redeposited into a different account from the US side, so the advice you've been given may be correct, but from AA's perspective it's fine. You have to call the airline where the miles were mistakenly credited first and get them 'released', then call the airline you want them shifted to. Often they ask you to send a copy of your boarding pass.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by jamesnine
It doesn't matter how or where you buy the tickets (as long as they are AA or US metal flights; no other partner airlines). What you need to make sure of is that you attach your US Airways Dividend Miles number to your AA flights (and obviously your US ones as well).
If it's ok to be a little pernickety, I was under the impression it does matter, that other-airline marketed, AA/US operated flights would not count. But travel agent bookings with AA/US ticket numbers should be fine, as it's the ticketing carrier that is relevant. Is this right?

And thanks for the source info about SWUs. I didn't get that in anything from AA.

Last edited by Arsey00; Nov 25, 2014 at 10:13 am
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Silver
For the trial it's got to be US/US Express/AA/Am. Eagle OPERATED flights, regardless of codeshare status, or what the ticket says.

I flew a few segments on BA in Europe, and they counted as US PQMs and I got my US elite bonus, but they did not count towards my 30K for making CP in the trial.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:12 am

I just called AA to release the miles and then US Airways to shift them in. The changes have been submitted, just have to wait for AA to approve now. Whew, looks like it might work out within the next couple weeks. FYI for anybody who made the same newbie mistake I did
Wow! Nice to know... keep us updated!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyzabit
Repeating my question:

OK - I'm currently CP + Plat on the 2 airlines, with a 17K trip over Thanksgiving.
If I post 17K to US, I'll be Silver US + Gold AA pre-merger in 1Q2015.
I'd be at least 2nd tier / 50K+ combined at merger (since school curtailed travel on US/AA this year), but not 100K total.
However, if I credit the 17K to AA, I could "boost" to Plat, but that has no miles' credit associated with it, and there is no 75K tier post-merger, so I had decided not to do that. I'd be 2nd tier anyway post-merger.

QUESTION TO YOU FOLKS:
I'll not requal for CP this year (esp. w/o triple PQM promo email), so shall I:
1) let the trip miles go to AA instead, fall out of any status on US, and then hope there is still the opportunity to challenge CP for 30K miles in March before merger in 2Q2015? or
2) send the trip miles to US, make Silver again on them (and Gold on AA), and be AA Platinum in 2015 post-merger?
Will Option #1 work?
Is it not possible to challenge now, while you know it's still available, and have over 50% done by year end and then fly another 13k in the new year? If not, I'd probably just get whichever gets you the highest status now and hope for the best. I doubt anyone can do more than guess when US might end the ability to challenge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.