Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:37 pm
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
I signed up on line for Trial Preferred on Friday. This morning I got the following email from USAir:

Trial start date: October 11, 2014
Trial end date: January 9, 2015

Welcome to the Trial Preferred program

Thank you for joining the Dividend Miles Trial Preferred program. We upgraded you to Silver Preferred status. To keep your Silver Preferred status through February 29, 2016, you need to fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments on US Airways or US Airways Express flights by January 9, 2015.*

See all your Silver Preferred benefits. Be sure to call Reservations at 800-428-4322 to update your future reservations with your new status. We hope you enjoy being Preferred and look forward to seeing you on a flight soon!
I was under the impression that any existing reservations would automatically show the status, but I called anyway. The agent was very nice and said she changed my information on the four existing reservations I have, and even called American and changed it for a flight I had with them. So I don't really understand what the agent was doing, but it does seem you need to call if you sign up for Trial Preferred and have existing reservations.

AGS
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jlars77
I didn't, and am only now considering an appeal based on this information:

..Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program.

I'm not sure it's even worth a call based upon what Silver Elite will look like going forward.
Why would you call in the first place, you flew on a codeshare flight, on an airlines other than US and USX flights...
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AGS
I signed up on line for Trial Preferred on Friday. This morning I got the following email from USAir:

Trial start date: October 11, 2014
Trial end date: January 9, 2015

Welcome to the Trial Preferred program

Thank you for joining the Dividend Miles Trial Preferred program. We upgraded you to Silver Preferred status. To keep your Silver Preferred status through February 29, 2016, you need to fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments on US Airways or US Airways Express flights by January 9, 2015.*

See all your Silver Preferred benefits. Be sure to call Reservations at 800-428-4322 to update your future reservations with your new status. We hope you enjoy being Preferred and look forward to seeing you on a flight soon!
I was under the impression that any existing reservations would automatically show the status, but I called anyway. The agent was very nice and said she changed my information on the four existing reservations I have, and even called American and changed it for a flight I had with them. So I don't really understand what the agent was doing, but it does seem you need to call if you sign up for Trial Preferred and have existing reservations.

AGS
It usually take 24 hours after you sign up before you can book preferred seating and with AA is usually take 2-3 days before One World see's your new status. This has been talked about in their thread also.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Why would you call in the first place, you flew on a codeshare flight, on an airlines other than US and USX flights...
Codeshare yes but they mentioned that the flights were operated by US and AA.

"My Iberian ticketed flights on US and AA metal did not count toward the trial program but did count toward elite qualifying miles. I think I'm SOL on those flights but might try an appeal."
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Codeshare yes but they mentioned that the flights were operated by US and AA.

"My Iberian ticketed flights on US and AA metal did not count toward the trial program but did count toward elite qualifying miles. I think I'm SOL on those flights but might try an appeal."
Code share flights DO NOT COUNT. You were ticketed on iberian but flew US/AA that is a codeshare flight.. For the flights to count towards the trail, you HAVE to be ticketed on US/AA and fly US/AA metal.. Pretty simple and straight forward.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:57 am
Formerly known as jlars77

Code share flights DO NOT COUNT. You were ticketed on iberian but flew US/AA that is a codeshare flight.. For the flights to count towards the trail, you HAVE to be ticketed on US/AA and fly US/AA metal.. Pretty simple and straight forward.
Holy ALL CAPS, simmer down...I really don't care and was just relaying my experience to OP. The policy lacks clarity as the fine print only says the flight must be operated by US and does not delve into codeshare or ticketing specifics. It's great to share your knowledge but I think you could be a bit more tactful as things are a bit nuanced with FFP's mid-merger.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:47 pm

Where in the terms and conditions does it say that codeshare flights do not count?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Where in the terms and conditions does it say that codeshare flights do not count?
It doesn't but in my experience and others codeshare flights do not count, unless something has changed, however, nothing has posted to your account so it means that codeshares do not count.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
I believe that you don't understand the definition of code share. AA/US are considered one airline. The terms specifically say ticketed and flown on AA/US a ticket on IB flown on Aa or US is not eligible for this trial preferred discussed many times
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by nytango
I believe that you don't understand the definition of code share. AA/US are considered one airline. The terms specifically say ticketed and flown on AA/US a ticket on IB flown on Aa or US is not eligible for this trial preferred discussed many times
I fully understand what a codeshare is. My original point is the same. It only says in the terms and conditions that the flight must be operated by US/AA. The fact that you have discussed it many times means nothing to someone reading the terms of the trial and using that as a guideline. I didn't see anything regarding ticketing just operated by.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Platinum, MLIFE Platinum
Help with US Platinum Trial

I just signed up for the challenge as I've qualified for 1k a bit earlier this year and have 2-4 international trips planned. The cities I need to go to are: Berlin,&Munich (or Frankfurt). Sydney . Amsterdam and Copenhagen

I need to fly either AA or US metal (no partners) to qualify and 30k miles from SFO

I'd like to get the 30k miles as soon as possible, and in as much comfort as possible (ie Layflat).

From what I can tell, Sydney is out as part of this as no flights go with either of these carriers . This really seems to leave SFO-FRA-MUC..-SFO etc.. but no layflats on this route. I'm not necessarily on a budget but need the pricing to equal out with United and be reasonable.

Any suggestions on good routes?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: WFBF
I suggest not bothering with US Platinum, as today's announcements mean it is a worthless status to earn.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Platinum, MLIFE Platinum
The 30,000 miles will push me to Chairman which appears to move to AA Premier Exec which is well worth it unless I'm missing something...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:39 pm

I have several questions related to Trial Preferred which I hope someone can answer:

1. Would a flight marketed by AA (eg ticket bought as flight number AA 7434 which is a flight from LHR-KUL operated by Malaysian Airline) qualify as a legitimate flight for miles accumulation for Trial Preferred Status?

2. I already have tickets for travel in December and January with my AA frequent flier number attached to them. Who do I call (is it AA or US) to try and have my AA number replaced with my US Dividend Miles number?

3. I am AA Platinum so I have access to premium seats on flights booked with AA. Once I replace my AA frequent flier number with US DM number, I presume I will lose that benefit - correct?

Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flyme2theriver
From what I can tell, Sydney is out as part of this as no flights go with either of these carriers . This really seems to leave SFO-FRA-MUC..-SFO etc.. but no layflats on this route. I'm not necessarily on a budget but need the pricing to equal out with United and be reasonable.

Any suggestions on good routes?
AA and US do not fly to SYD, so you are SOL but if you flew SFO-PHL-MUC the PHL-MUC will be layflat seats. Or SFO-DFW-FRA on AA. If you are looking for non-stop then you are SOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.