Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Yes, but I couldn't see any mention of the residence. Only mentioned because when I tried signing up, it threw an error on the 'Postal Code'.

Call US and see what they have to say, I would assume it is US based addresses.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: UA GS
I bought a Platinum Preferred trial and will make Silver with my next segment. Will I then be eligible for day-of upgrades on AA-operated flights? Thanks.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Why aren't you already eligible for that?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA GS
Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:45 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
What is "DMS"?

Greetings. I am 2/3 done with (Platinum) Trial Preferred, with 21 segments so far. Within the past week, my status now shows both the "P" inside a little platinum-colored circle for platinum and "DMS" inside a gold-colored box...

First thought was "Dividend Miles Silver", but it's a gold box and I have 20 segments credited, so would already have earned gold status through the trial.

I tried search, but it won't allow 3-letter key words, so...

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by AAir_head
Greetings. I am 2/3 done with (Platinum) Trial Preferred, with 21 segments so far. Within the past week, my status now shows both the "P" inside a little platinum-colored circle for platinum and "DMS" inside a gold-colored box...

First thought was "Dividend Miles Silver", but it's a gold box and I have 20 segments credited, so would already have earned gold status through the trial.

I tried search, but it won't allow 3-letter key words, so...

Thanks in advance!
"Dividend Miles Select" - represents that you're getting benefits from your US Mastercard. 5k mile discount on awards, and at high spend the award processing fee waiver.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by jsl42
Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.
I'm not sure that is accurate as far as the upgrades, I would assume you are eligible for Day of Upgrades on AA even with a trial since they technically give you Silver Status if you do a Silver Trial. I am not sure anyone tested it but if you can pick MCE seats I would assume a First Class Upgrade would work.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Terms & Conditions

I believe that these quoted terms are incorrect and that you can upgrade as an US elite:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid.../upgrades.html
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by gruss
"Dividend Miles Select" - represents that you're getting benefits from your US Mastercard. 5k mile discount on awards, and at high spend the award processing fee waiver.
Thank you! Interestingly, I've never seen this anywhere; a search on the full term yielded exactly one post with the full term in it and only one thread about it.

Apparently not too big a deal unless you're redeeming a lot of miles for award travel...

cheers!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by dalessandrct
Hey everyone, newly registered but long time reader of flyertalk!

I'm currently Gold Preferred (63 segments/23,000 miles) on US Airways, I fly 4 segments a week for work so it has taken me about 4-5 months to get to 63 segments.

With the Preferred Trial being $600 to get Platinum, should I just make a new account, pay the $600 and then fly the 40 segments to get Chairman?

Buying Platinum status as a Gold Member costs $2500. Then I still need to fly 30 segments and spend all the money on flights. Makes sense to just start over, right?

What can I do with my current miles? Can I transfer those to my new account or to someone?

Thanks everyone!
-Chris
I don't think you can start over. The T&Cs specifically say you can't use it to requalify for status that you didn't qualify for the previous year. I know you can't have more than one FF account. Can't claim it's "lost" if you have current status.

What you're doing would skirt the program, which I don't see US smiling upon.

I got a late start on travel this year at work. Had I done what you did, I could have just dumped my account, bought a trial and started flying and requalify for chairman as there's no way I'll make it otherwise. US won't allow that.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I had an INVOL reroute on *A after my connection got blown in PHL. I'm guessing it's possible to get ORC. Will ORC count for the challenge?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, IHG RA, AA PLT
Another data point, bonus PQM from paid first/business class does not count toward trail preferred qualification, only butt in seat miles on AA/US metal count.

Here is my history:

Beginning of Sep, Applied silver trail.
3 days later, SAN-CLT-FRA on US metal in Y.
last week, PEK-ORD-SAN on AA metal in paid first class(P)

The PQM listed on my account now is 18928 miles, I called US airways and the agent told me I am 14775 miles on my trail, that is my butt in seat mileage.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Palal
I had an INVOL reroute on *A after my connection got blown in PHL. I'm guessing it's possible to get ORC. Will ORC count for the challenge?
Where your orignal flights on US or US Ex Metal? If so yes, just called to perferred line and let them know what happened. Now if the orignal flights were NOT on US or US Ex metal it wont count.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bloodymary
Another data point, bonus PQM from paid first/business class does not count toward trail preferred qualification, only butt in seat miles on AA/US metal count.
Nothing new, it has been posted here many times that only Butt miles count.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Terms & Conditions

Hi all, it was discussed earlier in the thread that you can enroll in the trial preferred program after you have booked the flights, but the bolded part above in the T&C says that prior bookings won't reflect the new preferred status, does it mean that you won't get the bonus points or be upgrade eligible on those flights you booked (and obviously haven't flown yet) before you enrolled into the trial preferred program?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.