Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Probably has less of an effect than h/s/j, free silver, DEQM, etc., etc.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 6:39 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GamecockFan
I wonder if the $200 fee for this would be covered under the new American Express Platinum travel benefit.
I was wondering that also, but we already used that this year for our Continental flight to pay for our 3 bags since I'm Silver Medallion on Delta and will get 2 free bags for a year. I don't think it works for this kind of thing but it would be pretty cool if it did, it might get me to fly US air more often than i do now
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
This isn't new. There are a number of threads on the "Try Preferred" or "Try Preferred On For Size" program. It's been around for several years with slight modifications to the rules. For example, it used to be available to elites: Silver could pay $200 to move to Gold, $400 to move to Platinum. But still have to fly 15K/22.5K in 90 days to retain it.

It's comparable to an airline status match - they simply charge for it. And then you have 90 days to maintain or exceed the level you purchased.

As far as upgrades, those with higher status obviously trump those in a trial at a lower level and for equal level the usual rules apply: YTD mileage.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: US AIr, Continental
US Airways Trial Preferred Program Ques

Hello,
Long time lurker, but first time poster. Hope to be able to contribute more in the future, but my first post is for advice--of course.

Based in New Orleans & take approx 10-12 flights out of MSY each year. Flying mostly US Air & am a member of Dividend Miles program. Considering the usair trial preferred program this year. Cost is $200, but gives you silver preferred benefits for 90 days & if you hit 7,500 miles or 10 segments in first 90 days you are granted Silver Preferred status for rest of the year. I will be hitting those marks in the first 90 days, but want your thoughts before joining.

http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/divi...preferred.html

I generally need to check one bag, so would def make back the $200 on the first 2 round trips, but I am more interested in upgrades. I have purchased upgrades to First class at the check in kiosk for $50 a few times & they seem to be generally available for purchase at the kiosk or gate--don't know if that's because I am flying out of MSY or because I am not flying routes at times when many business travelers due, my flights are however generally.
full.

Questions, will Silver Preferred status get me these same upgrades to First Class for free & is preference given to those who purchase the $50 per leg upgrade? And is Silver Preferred the most reliable way to get upgraded to First (outside of reaching a higher preferred tier?).

Based upon my info, any reason I should not go for silver preferred through this program? Thanks to all for your advice!
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by nolaflyer504
Hello,
Long time lurker, but first time poster. Hope to be able to contribute more in the future, but my first post is for advice--of course.

Based in New Orleans & take approx 10-12 flights out of MSY each year. Flying mostly US Air & am a member of Dividend Miles program. Considering the usair trial preferred program this year. Cost is $200, but gives you silver preferred benefits for 90 days & if you hit 7,500 miles or 10 segments in first 90 days you are granted Silver Preferred status for rest of the year. I will be hitting those marks in the first 90 days, but want your thoughts before joining.

http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/divi...preferred.html

I generally need to check one bag, so would def make back the $200 on the first 2 round trips, but I am more interested in upgrades. I have purchased upgrades to First class at the check in kiosk for $50 a few times & they seem to be generally available for purchase at the kiosk or gate--don't know if that's because I am flying out of MSY or because I am not flying routes at times when many business travelers due, my flights are however generally.
full.

Questions, will Silver Preferred status get me these same upgrades to First Class for free & is preference given to those who purchase the $50 per leg upgrade? And is Silver Preferred the most reliable way to get upgraded to First (outside of reaching a higher preferred tier?).

Based upon my info, any reason I should not go for silver preferred through this program? Thanks to all for your advice!
You would actually get upgraded to FC for free, two days prior to those who are given the opportunity to purchase that $50 per leg upgrade. I don't see any reason you should not do the Trial Preferred program, especially since you will more than make up the difference in baggage fees.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:45 am

Thanks tothetrail & I meant to say I would make up baggage fees on first 4 roundtrips. I think I will sign up soon! Another question, do you receive an email from US AIR confirming the upgrade to F?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
Thanks tothetrail & I meant to say I would make up baggage fees on first 4 roundtrips. I think I will sign up soon! Another question, do you receive an email from US AIR confirming the upgrade to F?
Yes, it's actually pretty nice how they do it. You'll get an email about two days before your flight with the subject "Your upcoming itinerary." Then you'll zero in on the section that says "Status." With anticipation building, you may see "An upgrade was not available" or "Your upgrade is confirmed."

I must admit, seeing those four little words, "Your upgrade is confirmed," sure brings a smile to my face.

Ironically, my first First Class trip was in November. Three days after signing up for the Trial Preferred program, with zero miles flown on US Airways, I was upgraded.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:09 am

I was hoping they'd continue the trial to higher preferred for elites (it was avail Oct or Nov, I think), but now it states only non-preferred can trial...
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Lets see, I am PP and out of all of my upgrades for 2010 I can count on one hand how many emails I got telling me a upgrade was avaliable. But the route I flew PHX-STL I never had a problem getting an upgrade.

Originally Posted by tothetrail
Yes, it's actually pretty nice how they do it. You'll get an email about two days before your flight with the subject "Your upcoming itinerary." Then you'll zero in on the section that says "Status." With anticipation building, you may see "An upgrade was not EXT38IP (4 friends, send message) wrote: 2h 19m ago
" or "Your upgrade is confirmed."

I must admit, seeing those four little words, "Your upgrade is confirmed," sure brings a smile to my face.

Ironically, my first First Class trip was in November. Three days after signing up for the Trial Preferred program, with zero miles flown on US Airways, I was upgraded.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:02 am

US Metal/Trial Prefered

I have seen a few mentions of how only US Metal counts toward preferred trial status qualification.

What exactly is US Metal? If a flight is US Air operated by republic, would this count?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: None
Any flight on US mainline or US Express, so a Republic operated US flight would count. The t&C's say "Only elite qualifying flights [I think they meant miles] earned on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program."

Jim
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by et_phonehome
I was hoping they'd continue the trial to higher preferred for elites (it was avail Oct or Nov, I think), but now it states only non-preferred can trial...
Interesting. I was Gold and started a Plat challenge mid-October. Didn't know that they stopped offering it for preferred members. Guess I got lucky.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:57 pm

upgrades better to just buy?

Hi,
I posted for advice on trying the Silver Preferred trial with US for $200. I looked into it a bit more today & realized I generally just buy the cheapest ticket avail on the usairways website (coach non refundable) & I believe that those tickets are not eligible for upgrade with Silver preferred status. Is that correct? I might still join just for the mileage bonus & free checked bags & just pay the $50 per leg (<799 miles) when its avail at the kiosk or at the gate for First Class. Is my thinking sound on this??
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Hi,
I posted for advice on trying the Silver Preferred trial with US for $200. I looked into it a bit more today & realized I generally just buy the cheapest ticket avail on the usairways website (coach non refundable) & I believe that those tickets are not eligible for upgrade with Silver preferred status. Is that correct? I might still join just for the mileage bonus & free checked bags & just pay the $50 per leg (<799 miles) when its avail at the kiosk or at the gate for First Class. Is my thinking sound on this??
All fares purchased from usairways.com are eligible for Preferred Status unlimited complimentary upgrades.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid.../upgrades.html
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:11 pm

ahh, thanks Mark!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.