Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Slam 2010!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
If you are a HHonors member, don't forget there is a Double Your HHonors promo running through to the end of September. So that means a month overlap of this promo and the HHonors double-double.

A very good FAQ on the HHonors promo is at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...onors-faq.html

Grand Slam rule says: •Hotels (earn 1 hit for every mileage earning stay – max 6 hits)
And while the Rules link goes to last year's rules it says there:
•Each hotel stay counts as a hit, not every other stay.
•Hotel and car activity can be with the same partner each time or different partners.
Since these were changes to the 2008 promo I would hope they remain in place for 2010.

So if you set your HHonors preferences correctly, you could get 100% of the Hilton points based on the stay, use the Hilton Double Dip to get a decent number of US miles *and* one hit per Hilton stay. You could then get another hit by doing a transfer of your earned Hilton points over to USAir (or multiple hits by doing multiple transfers).

Read the HHonors faq linked above. You need to register for the promo to get double credit but reservations booked before registration do appear to count. The "Earnings Preferences" for double dipping make a big difference in what you end up with.

If you are not already a HHonors member I would love to refer you; please PM me your email address and I will send over the referral email. I have to go to Hilton's site and give them your email address so I need your addy to refer you!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:45 am

I just went to the AAA Carolinas website

Originally Posted by treznor
Anyone see details on AAA Carolinas on the site? I see it listed as a partner but can't find any details.
went on line to the AAA Carolinas website. Without putting any information in, only clicked on 'new membership application'. Was taken to my local county association's application page.

ralph
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
There are 46 different hits to be had. Of these, some of them are "difficult" to get, either monetarily or for other reasons.

The ones that are "difficult": (13)
Singapore Airlines - Requires purchase of flight
ADT Home Security - 3 year contract required
Energy Plus - Only available in a few states
getAbstract - $450 subscription cost
Hilton Grand Vacations Club Ownership - requires purchase
Homeloancenter.com - requires obtaining a home loan
iNest.com - requires obtaining a home loan
LendingTree - requires obtaining a home loan
Marriott Vacation Club - requires purchase
Realestate.com - requires obtaining a home loan
Starwood Vacations Ownership - requires purchase
TD Ameritrade - have to invest $2500
US Airways Cruises - requires purchase of cruise

The ones that are difficult for me: (3)
21st Century Auto Insurance (2) - Not available in my state
Netflix - Only available for new members
Credit Card (5) - Don't have the cards

The hits with no details on the site: (4)
Chronomed
Trackitback.com - I know people know the link, but I'm not sure I trust it without a link on the US page
Select Warranty
AAA Carolinas Auto Club

This leaves 26 options:
US Club
Car Rental (6)
Hotel Stay (6)
Hotel Transfer (10)
US Airways Shopping Mall
Buy/Gift Miles
Share Miles
Points.com
Biscoff
Dividend Miles Dining
Dividend Miles Wireless
e-Miles
e-Rewards
FTD.com
ING Direct - ShareBuilder
LifeLock
Network Solutions
OfficeMax
Sentry Insurance
SkyMall
SuperShuttle & ExecuCar
Thanks Again
USA Today
Vinesse
Wine Insiders
Magazines for Miles

These 26 options represent 40 hits, 48 hits if the hits that are difficult for me to hit are available for others.

I can get to 30 with an incremental outlay of $230.43 (i.e. not counting things I was already purchasing, like hotel rooms or gift cards to places I shop). Getting the next 6 is going to be a bit difficult.

Last edited by treznor; Aug 23, 2010 at 4:49 pm Reason: Adding details for Magazines for Miles
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rxralph
went on line to the AAA Carolinas website. Without putting any information in, only clicked on 'new membership application'. Was taken to my local county association's application page.

ralph
Yes, I know what AAA is and know how to join (actually a member already). However, what I don't know is what I need to do (either join, renew, possibly buy a trippack book thing, etc) in order for it to count for the Grand Slam and how to link it to my US DM number so I get the points, and thus get it counted.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by treznor
The hits with no details on the site: (5)
Magazines for Miles (I know I've seen it before, but can't find it now)
Because you have to spend miles for that one, it's under the "Use Miles" link instead.

I'm aiming for 28 hits and I'll be happy with 60K miles if I make it. 36 hits just seems terribly expensive and/or not worth giving up valuable hotel points from 10 different programs (assuming I had enough points in all 10 programs). Will be easier to simply shoot for another 20 to 28 in my wife's name.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:03 am

Hmmm, seems like someone forgot to update the Rules and FAQ pages.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by fangtl
Hmmm, seems like someone forgot to update the Rules and FAQ pages.
That's possibly because the program hasn't officially been unveiled yet so they're likely still building those pages (or modifying the previous Grand Slam pages with changes).

Because this thread is dealing with preliminary and unofficial information, I'd urge caution about doing anything until all the details are made public.

Jim
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Arrow

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
That's possibly because the program hasn't officially been unveiled yet so they're likely still building those pages (or modifying the previous Grand Slam pages with changes)

Jim
US Airways QA process:

1. Plan promo and rules
2. Write website code
3. Leak on Flyertalk and let FT'ers pick rules to bits
4. Close FT-discovered loopholes and write 4 times as many FAQ
5. official launch!

Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:47 am

I love your sense of humor!

Originally Posted by dcpatti
US Airways QA process:

1. Plan promo and rules
2. Write website code
5. official launch!

However, you left off one bullet point:
6) 3 days later adjust Terms and Conditions.

ralph
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcpatti
US Airways QA process:

1. Plan promo and rules
2. Write website code
5. official launch!

I love it! And probably not far from reality!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rxralph
However, you left off one bullet point:
6) 3 days later adjust Terms and Conditions.

ralph
Along with

7) Freeze some accounts for "auditing" when crafty FTers exploit the rules for maximum advantage.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
You guys are so cynical sometimes...although it would be a great idea. I threw together the following list for the Hotel Transfers...feel free to adjust as necessary as I'm not a member in most.

Accor (AClub) – Transfer to US DM at a rate of 4000-2000 (4000 AClub points minimum?)

Best Western Rewards – Transfer to US DM at a rate of 5000-1000 (5000 point minimum?) Earn 10 points per dollar spent on Best Western

Choice Privileges – Transfer to US DM at a rate of 5000-1000 (5000 point minimum?) Buy 5000 points for $50?

Hilton HHonors – Transfer to US DM at a rate of 10000-850 (10000 point minimum?)
buy 10,000 points for $100 (?)

Hyatt Gold Passport - 5000-2000

InterContinental Hotels Group (Priority Club) – Transfer to US DM at a rate of 10000-2000 (10000 points minimum?)
buy 10,000 points for $125

Marriott Rewards – Transfer to US DM at a rate of 10000-2000 (10000 points minimum?)
buy 10,000 points for $125

Radisson Gold Points Plus – 2,000 points for 250 miles
(online bookings earn 2,000 points?)

Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) – Transfer to US DM at a rate of 1-1 (5000 bonus for every 20000 points, 2,500 minimum for preferred, 1500 minimum for gold preferred, 0 minimum for platinum preferred)

Wyndham Rewards – Transfer to US DM at a rate of 8000-3200 (8000 point minimum?)

Thanks to Koroleon for filling in the gaps

Last edited by johndeere19; Aug 27, 2010 at 5:55 am Reason: filling in what was missing
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:35 pm

This is pretty amazing, just wow. I can see myself doing about 10-12 hits without much cost. Another 5-6 with little cost. The rest will need a bit of spending!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by peachy3
Yeah, I've just been through all of the offers and it's very hard to get 36 hits if you are non-us! Do members have any past tips or advice to give? Perhaps lend a US address? More than happy to give free gifts for it ^O^ =)
Please PM me if you'd like a US address to ship items to. I will be happy to donate them for you.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
•The promotion you're trying to access might be invalid or might have expired. Please check the URL you entered and try again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.