FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Dividend Miles Multiplier - Information and Questions [MERGED] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1062209-dividend-miles-multiplier-information-questions-merged.html)

ashwinbrao Mar 12, 2010 5:31 am

Dividend Miles Multiplier - Information and Questions [MERGED]

Earlier today while booking my reservations online, I was offered an option called dividend miles multiplier. For 249$, I was given the option of doubling the miles (including the 50% gold bonus) that I could earn for the trip, while for 599$, I could triple it. For my trip (LGW-PGL-LHR), it meant that I could get 12000 additional miles for 249$

Anybody else seen this recently?

honeytoes Mar 12, 2010 6:11 am

Hmmmm...haven't seen this myself, but if it is true, it surely dilutes the elite program even more. :td:

ashwinbrao Mar 12, 2010 6:19 am

I forgot to mention: The bonus miles purchased do not count as EQM's

twa777 Mar 12, 2010 6:46 am

With a little Googling, I found a reference that US did trademark the term "Dividend Miles Multiplier" almost a year ago, so I guess it's been in the making for a while.

http://www.trademarkia.com/dividend-...-77711679.html

No doubt they're jealous of UA, who's been getting people to pay for more miles for a while. Perhaps we'll see a US version of E+ next...

uva185 Mar 12, 2010 7:48 am

Originally Posted by ashwinbrao (Post 13561749)
Earlier today while booking my reservations online, I was offered an option called dividend miles multiplier. For 249$, I was given the option of doubling the miles (including the 50% gold bonus) that I could earn for the trip, while for 599$, I could triple it. For my trip (LGW-PGL-LHR), it meant that I could get 12000 additional miles for 249$

So just to get this straight, for $599 you would receive triple base miles AND they would also triple your Gold bonus?? If so that seems like a rather good deal, for my upcoming MAD trip I could earn an additional 35,448 miles for $599 (1.6 CPM) ^

ashwinbrao Mar 12, 2010 8:04 am

Originally Posted by uva185 (Post 13562347)
So just to get this straight, for $599 you would receive triple base miles AND they would also triple your Gold bonus?? If so that seems like a rather good deal, for my upcoming MAD trip I could earn an additional 35,448 miles for $599 (1.6 CPM) ^

Yes. It is a great deal

CactusFlier Mar 12, 2010 8:53 am

I dont know if it is that good of a deal...for us elites it really might be a great deal depending on how they award the bonus.

Just keep in mind that if US is offering it, they will usually do it because it will benefit them more than us...

uva185 Mar 12, 2010 8:59 am

Originally Posted by CactusFlier (Post 13562782)
I dont know if it is that good of a deal...for us elites it really might be a great deal depending on how they award the bonus.

Just keep in mind that if US is offering it, they will usually do it because it will benefit them more than us...

That depends how people redeem their miles. Those (especially FTers) that redeem for high value awards will benefit more.

ArizonaGuy Mar 12, 2010 9:04 am

Except that you can still buy 100K directly for less than 1.4 cpm through the end of March.

kopflyer Mar 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by ashwinbrao (Post 13561749)

PGL = Trent Lott International? Just curious...how did you route there? I didn't know US has any connections to PGL.

The online booking engine only allows me to choose GPT & JAN in MS.

ArizonaGuy Mar 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by kopflyer (Post 13565413)
PGL = Trent Lott International? Just curious...how did you route there? I didn't know US has any connections to PGL.

Were you serious? I don't think you were but you never can be sure online. LHR-PGL-LGW was just a typo of LHR-PHL-LGW.

BoeingBoy Mar 12, 2010 5:55 pm

for my upcoming MAD trip I could earn an additional 35,448 miles for $599 (1.6 CPM) ^

I guess it depends on how you look at it. You've already paid for the first 11,816 miles at some cost per mile - the cost of the ticket.

Anyway, the best deal is the double miles - 100% more miles for $249. The triple miles costs another $350 to get another 100% of the base/normal bonus miles. Note that it doesn't appear to be triple miles extra, it just triples the miles. So a 10K mile itinerary would give 20K miles with the double miles and 30K miles with the triple miles, not 20K and 30K extra miles.

Of course, the more base/elite bonus miles the itinerary gives the cheaper the extra miles are. Fly PHL-PIT-PHL and they'd get pretty expensive. For an around the world ticket they'd be really cheap. but regardless of the length of the itinerary the double miles is a better deal than the triple miles. But if you want the most extra miles and don't mind paying more per mile to get them, the triple miles would accomplish that.

Jim

ashwinbrao Mar 13, 2010 1:28 am

Originally Posted by kopflyer (Post 13565413)

I meant LGW-PHL-LHR

miakayuuki Mar 13, 2010 3:12 am

Here is an interesting question. If you purchase the double or triple miles and miss youtr flight, what happens? Are you out the bonus money you paid?

-- Mia

ajfitz Mar 13, 2010 9:11 am

Interesting

I just did a dummy booking and sure enough - there is was. The ability to double or triple the amount of miles you accumulate for a fee.

The caveat - The double or triple miles purchased will not count toward preferred status.

I think it's interesting that everyone is trying to sell miles right about now. How do FF's feel about this? I think I can see the appeal for infrequent travelers or those that need a boost for an upcoming award trip. Not sure I get it for everyone.

(But anyway you can make a dime is the name of the game :)