Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight layover.. what happens to luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by bbbb
Unless you are expecting to get your bag back and need something from it.
If you need your bag back (or have ANY reason to think you will) check it to CLT.

Last edited by coachrowsey; Dec 18, 2009 at 9:01 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Flew ADB (Izmir, Turkey) -> MUC -> CLT earlier this year... Overnight in MUC as the connection was overnight. I asked the bag to NOT be checked to final. No problem, picked it up in MUC that night, rechecked in the morning to CLT.

HTSC
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Just flew LAS to PSP via SFO, and had to argue with the station manager in LAS for 30+ mins to check to my final destination. She said that 4+ hours is considered a stopover and have to pick up your luggage, re check it, and pay an additional $25 fee that I already paid to a gateway city.

She claimed it was a security issue, even though there were many holes in her story.

She finally relented, and forced the system to accept it, but made it very clear that US Airways does not do this.

I can see why people hate this airline, as I have never heard of such a ludicrous rule in all of my travels.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kwflyer
She said that 4+ hours is considered a stopover and have to pick up your luggage, re check it, and pay an additional $25 fee that I already paid to a gateway city.
Your profile says your *A Silver... You shouldnt have to pay any baggage fees regardless?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: None
She said that 4+ hours is considered a stopover
Only if there is an earlier flight and you choose to book an itinerary that has the longer layover.

Obviously, the agent and supervisor were confusing an overnight connection with a stopover. If that 4+ hour layover had been between flights operating the same day, they'd probably have checked your bags through to the destination with no problem. A perfect example is LAX-PHL-LHR - US shows an early departure from LAX with a 6:45 layover in PHL before departing to LHR. That would not be a stopover. But if you booked to arrive in PHL tonight and take tomorrow's LHR flight, it would be a stopover.

Jim
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Your profile says your *A Silver... You shouldnt have to pay any baggage fees regardless?
That was a seperate problem - their system not recognizing my status.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Only if there is an earlier flight and you choose to book an itinerary that has the longer layover.

Obviously, the agent and supervisor were confusing an overnight connection with a stopover. If that 4+ hour layover had been between flights operating the same day, they'd probably have checked your bags through to the destination with no problem. A perfect example is LAX-PHL-LHR - US shows an early departure from LAX with a 6:45 layover in PHL before departing to LHR. That would not be a stopover. But if you booked to arrive in PHL tonight and take tomorrow's LHR flight, it would be a stopover.

Jim
I believe the rules for star alliance are <24 hours is a layover and >24 hours is a stopover. Nevertheless I have never seen this probelm with any other star alliance carrier, and it seems customer service problems are systemic with US than any other *partner.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: None
I believe the rules for star alliance are <24 hours is a layover and >24 hours is a stopover.
I think you're correct, at least on international connections, but since you were dealing with a US agent and checking in for US domestic flight(s) I presume that's where the the agent got >4 hr = stopover. That is the policy per the terms of transportation but it is overridden by the part that says as long as you "take the next available flight" it is not a stopover.

Jim
Old May 19, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
As an elite, is it possible to move up if you have an overnight layover? Let's say you are flying from AAA-PHL-BBB and your flight from AAA arrives at 6pm and your flight to BBB leaves the next morning at 7am.

If there is another flight from PHL-BBB that leaves at 8pm, would you be able to move up to that flight as an elite?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.