Non-US Air Miles Member POUG (paid upgrade) question

Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Non-US Air Miles Member POUG (paid upgrade) question

Hi to all on this board - A newbie question for here (didn't find any answers on the sticky)

I am flying PHL-LAS next month - have a cheap economy ticket at the moment. I am interested in upgrading to First for an additional payment.

What is the best way on US Airways and the best price - in advance via the website, via customer services or at the airport on the day?

Is there a usual price?

Thanks alot,

Irubi
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Look to see if "low first" award inventory is available on the USAirways website. If it is you can call in and use miles and co-pay.

Alternately, buy silver preferred and then you can use only miles and forego the copay.

If you don't have miles then this strategy obviously won't work.

Otherwise there's a near zero percent chance you will get upgraded on this flight because there will be enough preferred members to fill all the first class seats. It's possible there will be no shows I guess then they could sell F at the gate but pretty unlikely.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I don't have miles - so will call to see if I can pay - failing that, nothing I can do then
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Irubi
Thanks. I don't have miles - so will call to see if I can pay - failing that, nothing I can do then
You could always buy miles. US regularly does promos to buy miles, share, etc. As you sign up for the DM program, make sure you get marketing emails.

Another option is to do a trade through the Coupon Connection forum. With US eventually joining oneworld, BA miles could be of value to a DM member.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:34 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Aside from using points to upgrade in advance (when upgradable seats are available), the only ways to do this are:

1.) Change your ticket to a true First class fare
2.) Hope there are seats still open on day of flight and purchase the upgrade during the online check-in process(will cost about $250 USD each way)

The coupon connection is not a bad suggestion. Basically, if you find "low" first class award availability on us airways.com(which is difficult in the first place), a US member with points can request an upgrade for you. In exchange, you would offer a trade for points you do have.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, will look into those options. No Low First Class availability.

So, looks like I will go down the payment route if they let me and if there are any seats left.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Irubi

So, looks like I will go down the payment route if they let me and if there are any seats left.
For a PHL-LAS flight, I think if there's a seat left and they sell it to you, once you get to LAS bet all you can...it is your lucky day.
For seats to be left at boarding, it would mean that all US elites have been upgraded...including Silvers.

Another option for you is to do a trial preferred. I think the fee is $200, and you'd get Silver status. I think you can do Gold for $400, but if you pay the Silver rate, and fly enough for Gold, you'd get Gold anyway. If you're checking a bag, and you manage to get F (pretty slim as a Silver), it would be money well spent on a Silver trial.
There's a thread somewhere about trial preferred, with all of the details.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.