Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by vysean
Frankly, if iztok was able to get a RTW for the normal mileage (and there are a few of us who have done the same, albeit not recently), then I suppose your proposed routing should be just fine.
My agent verified with their manager or whoever is in charge of the *A routing and made double sure that my routing was legal. She did that before she called me with proposed routing. I was dealing with CP line (I can share name in PM if one is CP.). Basically I gave her the time parameter and wishlist and she worked on it for few days and called now and then to see if something would work for me and once she found routing that worked and was legal we booked it. I just got her info and will be sending some A&Bs soon! Plus she will get some postcards from the trip
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Routing question US Air miles

I tried to book a routing today which I thought might be illegal. I was told it was because the only stopover allowed was in either FRA or MUC since I was flying over the Atlantic on LH. I asked 2 different agents.

I wanted to book PHL-FRA-DEL outbound all on LH
and
DEL-IST-CAI stopover in CAI for a few days then
CAI-FRA-PHL.

Since everything is so vague on what's allowed, do you think that if I were flying over to FRA on a US or UA flight, I'd be allowed more of a selection of stopover cities? In this case, if I used Air Egypt going in or out of Cairo would it be allowed or backtracking? I want to have a stopover on the return somewhere, but FRA nor MUC are attractive options.

Rich
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by puchalskir
I tried to book a routing today which I thought might be illegal. I was told it was because the only stopover allowed was in either FRA or MUC since I was flying over the Atlantic on LH. I asked 2 different agents.

I wanted to book PHL-FRA-DEL outbound all on LH
and
DEL-IST-CAI stopover in CAI for a few days then
CAI-FRA-PHL.

Since everything is so vague on what's allowed, do you think that if I were flying over to FRA on a US or UA flight, I'd be allowed more of a selection of stopover cities? In this case, if I used Air Egypt going in or out of Cairo would it be allowed or backtracking? I want to have a stopover on the return somewhere, but FRA nor MUC are attractive options.

Rich
I have had great luck getting very liberal interpretations of the *A award rules when using US miles, but I have yet to be able to stopover in a city if not flying in on that city's hub airline. Sometimes you just need to take what you're given. On my last award I had to use Lisbon instead of Madrid and Zagreb instead of Split.

Be ready, willing, and able to ticket as soon as you find an agent willing to do something like this.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
I tried 4 agent to get the following tickets:

CAN X NRT (stopover) by NH Business
NRT - JFK (destination) by NH Business
JFK X SFO (stopover)by UA First
SFO - NRT - CAN by NH Business

The first agent spent me 40 minutes to search and verify every single segment I want is legal or not, and share some very interesting views with me:

"I can not find any flights from CAN/Cajun to NRT/Tokyo operated by *A carriers, are you sure the airport code is CAN"
Of course you can't, because C-A-N is airport code of Guangzhou (China), I have no idea why CAN will become the airport code of Cajun, and I spell the airport code for you in advance.

"You're only allow to make one stopover in your trip"
Okay, repeat after me "One en route stopover is permitted at a US Airways hub city, a US Airways international destination or ticketed partner's hub city
per direction."... (I should hang-up my call right here)

"NRT is not a hub city so you can not make a stop over right there"
If Tokyo is not the hub city for Japan based airlines, which one could be? ICN or PEK?

I checked with my supervisor as well, you spend me 40 minutes.. ##$%%
Ya, the reason why we spend about 40 minutes cause you always provide a wrong information. I waste my $$ to make international calls but get a helpless agent? I am that person should make a complaint, not you lady!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 8:54 pm

I just called US Airways with the following itinerary in business:

EWR-IAD (UA) IAD-NRT (NH)
[Stop]
NRT-AKL (NZ)
[Destination]
AKL-NRT (NZ)
[Stop]
NRT-IAD (NH) IAD-EWR (UA)

My first questions to the agent were:
Am I allowed a stop over at a partner hub city in each direction on an award ticket? Yes
Is Narita a partner hub city? Yes
Can I route to AKL via NRT? Yes

Anyway she was real nice and got me all the flights I wanted... calculated the mileage at 110K... asked for my info. When she went to price out the taxes, she put on hold for about 10 minutes and then came back and told me that on partner tickets, I am only allowed 1 stopover per itinerary.

She was understanding about it and put the ticket on hold as is but I thought my routing was valid? Can someone please confirm? I'll call back tomorrow morning to check with another agent but where exactly does it say that a partner award can only have 1 stopover?

One en route stopover is permitted at a US Airways hub city, a US Airways international destination or ticketed partner's hub city per direction.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
I just called US Airways with the following itinerary in business:

EWR-IAD (UA) IAD-NRT (NH)
[Stop]
NRT-AKL (NZ)
[Destination]
AKL-NRT (NZ)
[Stop]
NRT-IAD (NH) IAD-EWR (UA)

My first questions to the agent were:
Am I allowed a stop over at a partner hub city in each direction on an award ticket? Yes
Is Narita a partner hub city? Yes
Can I route to AKL via NRT? Yes

Anyway she was real nice and got me all the flights I wanted... calculated the mileage at 110K... asked for my info. When she went to price out the taxes, she put on hold for about 10 minutes and then came back and told me that on partner tickets, I am only allowed 1 stopover per itinerary.

She was understanding about it and put the ticket on hold as is but I thought my routing was valid? Can someone please confirm? I'll call back tomorrow morning to check with another agent but where exactly does it say that a partner award can only have 1 stopover?
It's USAir, whether or not something is allowed by the rules has little to do with whether you can get it done. I give everyone the same advice, call back. Your routing should be obtainable.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johnep1
It's USAir, whether or not something is allowed by the rules has little to do with whether you can get it done. I give everyone the same advice, call back. Your routing should be obtainable.
+1 . Just call back. Since the itin is on hold, it should be relatively quick and painless unless they've stuck notes in your PNR.

All you have to do is refer them to the website statement. I'm certain they have Internet access there as they've frequently quoted content from other websites to me during a phone call.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
If she put the itin on hold and didn't make any notes in it, all you should need to do is call back, get another agent, and say you want to go ahead and ticket it. I'd give it a greater than 50% chance that they go ahead and do so without any further checking since someone else has already built the record.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Has anyone had any luck getting an award from N. America (IAD) to N. Asia (HKG) via Europe. I would like the following...

IAD-MUC
(Stopover)
MUC-HKG
(Destination)
HKG-IST
IST-ZRH
(Stopover)
ZRH-ORD
ORD-IAD

I am one of those that was able to build a "faux RTW" but I booked that a year ago so I'm not sure how they are enforcing routing rules lately.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by uva185
Has anyone had any luck getting an award from N. America (IAD) to N. Asia (HKG) via Europe. I would like the following...

IAD-MUC
(Stopover)
MUC-HKG
(Destination)
HKG-IST
IST-ZRH
(Stopover)
ZRH-ORD
ORD-IAD

I am one of those that was able to build a "faux RTW" but I booked that a year ago so I'm not sure how they are enforcing routing rules lately.
Ticketed one of these last month (US to South Asia connecting in Europe). It took about 6 calls to get done. In the end US was even nice enough to just charge the US-Europe mileage.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:22 pm

Stopovers on *A award

From the US Airways website, the page titles "Dividend Miles membership guide" has been quoted previously in this thread;

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...mberguide.aspx

Roughly a third of the way down the page, in a section titled "Partner Travel" the following statement is made;

One en route stopover per itinerary is permitted for select international travel awards.

Slightly further down the page, in a section titled "Stopovers" it states;

One en route stopover is permitted at a US Airways hub city, a US Airways international destination or ticketed partner's hub city per direction.

Since these two statements that appear to be contradictory appear on the same page on the website, it is probably not a surprise that US Airways phone agents apply varying interpretations of the stopover rules when booking *A award tickets.

Does anyone know with certainty which is correct ?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by thebobmc
From the US Airways website, the page titles "Dividend Miles membership guide" has been quoted previously in this thread;

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...mberguide.aspx

Roughly a third of the way down the page, in a section titled "Partner Travel" the following statement is made;

One en route stopover per itinerary is permitted for select international travel awards.

Slightly further down the page, in a section titled "Stopovers" it states;

Since these two statements that appear to be contradictory appear on the same page on the website, it is probably not a surprise that US Airways phone agents apply varying interpretations of the stopover rules when booking *A award tickets.

Does anyone know with certainty which is correct ?
I called again about my itinerary on Monday evening and asked for it to be ticketed. The agent came back and said again that I can only have 1 stopover on the itinerary. I referred her to this webpage and pointed out that yes it says that in one part and then says in each direction the other part.

She said that was weird but OK and ticketed as is.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:50 am

I called again about my itinerary on Monday evening and asked for it to be ticketed. The agent came back and said again that I can only have 1 stopover on the itinerary. I referred her to this webpage and pointed out that yes it says that in one part and then says in each direction the other part.

She said that was weird but OK and ticketed as is.
^^

We can all bash US but when it comes to *A reward redemption they are one of the most flexible around. It might take a little while and few calls but it works. In my case I just told the CP angel my wishlist and she worked behind the scenes and called me from time to time to ask question and that was it.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by iztok
^^

We can all bash US but when it comes to *A reward redemption they are one of the most flexible around. It might take a little while and few calls but it works. In my case I just told the CP angel my wishlist and she worked behind the scenes and called me from time to time to ask question and that was it.
Yep. I priced out the flights I "bought" on orbitz.com.... $21,000! ^
Old Jun 16, 2009, 2:32 pm

Yep. I priced out the flights I "bought" on orbitz.com.... $21,000! ^
Mine was $45k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.