Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old May 5, 2009, 12:50 pm

Programs: American Gold; SW A list; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Thanks!

thnx so much, kudzu and vysean. Will try and let you know!
Old May 5, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by vysean
...Singaporian (is that a word?)...
Yes, though they prefer it spelt "Singaporean" ....the other spelling reminds some of the controversial "durian" fruit found there
Old May 5, 2009, 1:31 pm

You've gotten some great advice here, but I wanted to add that I've had a couple of experiences with the "hub carrier" stopover rule that differ from what vysean and planeluvr were quoted, i.e. I've been allowed stopovers where I've arrived on a random *A carrier and departed on the hub carrier. If you have the same luck I did, that would open up some carrier/routing possibilities for the first leg of your trip, which could mean the difference between getting it ticketed and not getting it ticketed. So it's worth giving it a shot if you haven't already.

Also, adding to vysean's routing suggestion, I'd recommend checking AC for award seats--either for the first leg if you find that flexibility in the hub carrier rule, or for the last leg if you don't. In my experience they've had the best availability to/from the specific stopover points you've mentioned going to/from the west coast (connecting in YVR).
Old May 5, 2009, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by preguntas
I would love the answer to this question, too. Just tried to book a flight with a stop on the outbound and a stop on the return (to Asia, all via Star Alliance gold) and was told, pretty crisply, that I could not do that. Two cities, OK. Three, no way. Please advise, or other FTs, tell me what am I doing wrong? Want to go from Los Angeles to Seoul, then Tokyo, then Hong Kong, then back to US. Thanks for any help!
It's USAir we're talking about, don't bother with the rules - the agents sure don't. Instead, pick your start city, pick your destination city, pick on outbound stopover city and an inbound stopover city, then use the online ANA tool to find award availability, then call USAir and tell them exactly what you want. If anyone throws out any rule or says you can't do something, there is a good chance they made the rule up or don't know how to force the segment in the system, so just hang up and call back.

The important thing is that you have the miles in your account and are ready to ticket then and there. Once you get someone to put through all your segments, stopovers included, you don't want to risk having to call back and be told that you're not allowed to ticket that routing.
Old May 19, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: American Gold; SW A list; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Smile An update and good news

thnx so much, kudzu and vysean. Will try and let you know!
Finally got back to booking and in truth spent less an 30 minutes with a CP angel. He allowed a stopover on the way and a stopover back without question; said he checked with a supervisor and this is a "new interpretation of the policy." I said fine and booked two tickets LAX-ICN, ICN-HKG, HKT-NRT and NRT-LAX without a problem. Used FC mileage, but only got FC on the first segment (OZ). Then it's OZ, NH, and SQ all in business (which doesn't look bad on their websites.) Made the choice on the return between United and SQ. I do need to call each separate airline to pick seats, but that seems a small price to pay. Thanks for all your help and maybe others will benefit from this "new interpretation of policy"!
Old May 19, 2009, 11:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Used FC mileage, but only got FC on the first segment (OZ).
Keep an eye on your flights with the ANA tool and if an F seat opens up, call them and they'll upgrade you to F and reissue the ticket. No charge, since you used F miles.

In my experience, a lot of inventory tends to change on these flights as you get closer to travel (especially within a couple of weeks of departure). If you're diligent, and jump on the opportunities as you see them, there's a good chance you'll end up in F for several more segments. Good luck.
Old May 25, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
Ignorant question...

With regards to the "stopover" what is the maximum length allowed for the stopover?

Trying to book PHL-ZRH-DUB, DUB-FRA-PHL and interested in spending some time in around FRA.
Old May 25, 2009, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jordieboy
Ignorant question...

With regards to the "stopover" what is the maximum length allowed for the stopover?

Trying to book PHL-ZRH-DUB, DUB-FRA-PHL and interested in spending some time in around FRA.
That's a good question. A quick review of the oft-referenced webpage on usairways.com doesn't list anything related to minimum/maximum stopover lengths.

I suppose you ask for whatever you want, so long as your travel completes within the next 330 days (or whenever they see award inventory).

FWIW, I've had stopovers last longer than my time at my final destination of record, but I wouldn't be surprised if they balk at that.
Old May 27, 2009, 5:09 pm

Stopover on a *A award ticket to Australia

Greetings;

I am a newcomer to the Dividend Miles forum. Came to learn about the ins and outs of booking award tickets to make the best use of the current SPG transfer bonus.

Does anyone have any direct experience using Dividend Miles to book a *A award ticket to Australia with a stopover in SE Asia ( can be BKK, SIN, KUL ) ?

I have followed several discussions in the AC and UA forums which indicate that this itinerary is not allowed because this routing exceeds the MPM ( maximum permitted mileage ?) for this award.

Does DM have a similar rule, or has anyone successfully booked such an award itinerary ?

Thanks very much in advance.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
can you go RTW with 2 stopovers

Pardon the question, but I dont fly US much anymore, but have many miles left over.

With the 2 stop-overs, can you use US miles and redeem a north america to north asia ticket by crossing one ocean on the outbound and crossing another coming home? Or would this require RTW level redemption?

I was thinking something like LAX - NRT (stop), NRT - PEK (destination), PEK -FRA (stop), FRA - LAX.
I think its possible with AC, but didnt know if all Star carriers allowed it.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by drnp
Pardon the question, but I dont fly US much anymore, but have many miles left over.

With the 2 stop-overs, can you use US miles and redeem a north america to north asia ticket by crossing one ocean on the outbound and crossing another coming home? Or would this require RTW level redemption?

I was thinking something like LAX - NRT (stop), NRT - PEK (destination), PEK -FRA (stop), FRA - LAX.
I think its possible with AC, but didnt know if all Star carriers allowed it.
I've booked South Asia award like this.

CLT-JFK(US)-ICN(OZ)-PEK(CA) (stop) PEK-BKK-HKT(TG) (destination) HTK-BKK-FRA(TG)-MUC-CLT(LH).

All long routes are F, ICN-PEK, BKK-HKT-BKK, and FRA-MUC are C.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
Thanks iztok!
Old May 31, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: Onepass Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Worldperks, AAdvantage
I am getting ready to move some SPG points into DM, but wanted to know if the following routing would be considered valid for an Australia award ticket.

IAH-ORD UA
ORD-PVG UA (23 Hour layover)
PVG-AKL NZ
AKL-CHC NZ Stopover (10 days)

CHC-SYD NZ Destination

SYD-SFO UA
SFO-IAH UA

Thanks for all suggestions!
Old May 31, 2009, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by leejeffrey
I am getting ready to move some SPG points into DM, but wanted to know if the following routing would be considered valid for an Australia award ticket.

IAH-ORD UA
ORD-PVG UA (23 Hour layover)
PVG-AKL NZ
AKL-CHC NZ Stopover (10 days)

CHC-SYD NZ Destination

SYD-SFO UA
SFO-IAH UA

Thanks for all suggestions!
I ran into significant resistance on my last award ticket when I tried to go US->North Asia->South Pacific. That said, one agent will frequently do something another agent will not, and this can be a good thing or a bad thing. It would of course help if there was no availability on any of the direct SFO/LAX-SYD/AKL flights (and you may want to check to make sure YVR-SYD/AKL are not available either).

Frankly, if iztok was able to get a RTW for the normal mileage (and there are a few of us who have done the same, albeit not recently), then I suppose your proposed routing should be just fine.

If you run into trouble, PM me and I'll share some additional tips.
Old May 31, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by vysean
I ran into significant resistance on my last award ticket when I tried to go US->North Asia->South Pacific.
I didn't have any trouble with this sort of routing last winter, connecting in NRT to AKL, however, I must've gone thru half a dozen agents trying to get them to acknowledge that a 23/hr forced layover in NRT was not a stopover. It was an issue because I wanted an open jaw. I was ultimately unsuccessful and decided to just buy a one-way segment from AKL to WLG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.