Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
superking: seems the best outcome might be to ask Asiana to seat you in the F cabin (F cabin with J service).
they're willing to move me to a different plane/date
but Asiana said 74E does not have any F class, That's the easiest solution

Originally Posted by KVS
It is true -- both sections are being sold as a C Cabin
What does that mean? Just request for the first class seat?

Originally Posted by stargold
The request is not only overly ambitious, but also totally not gonna happen. Either from OZ or US.

Think about how much extra you paid for the Smartium seats vs. the regular seats, and you'll have the answer for the appropriate "compensation" for this supposed "downgrade". Yes, that's right - exactly zero.
Yes, you are right, but people who paid for these flights certain paid more for
Smartium seats vs. old seats!
OZ is willing to move me to a different time/date,

but I also need US Airways to move me on the first flight, but they said they don't have access to Star Alliance seat anymore, they could cancel free of charge.

Perhaps, I can get have them call Asiana while I'm on the phone with them, change the Asiana flight to one day early and then US Airways to change the first leg and then US Airways to re-validate the ticket?
Do-able? It sounds pretty difficult
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:57 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

superking: seems the best outcome might be to ask Asiana to seat you in the F cabin (F cabin with J service).
Originally Posted by superking
Indeed:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.4.6/Diamond - Enhanced Seat Map: 15 Nov 2014/OZ 203/LAX-ICN/74E/Business]
Code:
     A   |   E   |   F   |   K    
 1   X                       X    
 2   +                       -    
 3   -                       -    
 4   -       -       -       +    

[+] Available     [P] Preferred   [G] Galley
[-] Unavailable   [X] Blocked     [|] Aisle
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
they're willing to move me to a different plane/date
but Asiana said 74E does not have any F class, That's the easiest solution

you are after a full flat bed in business class right?

the 74E service is a three class plane, but they are not selling First class fares. Instead, some passengers with business class bookings will be seated in the First class cabin, but will still receive business class service.

If you can secure a seat in the F cabin, you will get your full flat bed (a much better bed than the business class smartium seat), and still be able to have your stopover in Seoul.

You won't need to make any changes to your existing ticket or flights, and still have the same benefits.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:35 pm

you are after a full flat bed in business class right?

the 74E service is a three class plane, but they are not selling First class fares. Instead, some passengers with business class bookings will be seated in the First class cabin, but will still receive business class service.

If you can secure a seat in the F cabin, you will get your full flat bed (a much better bed than the business class smartium seat), and still be able to have your stopover in Seoul.

You won't need to make any changes to your existing ticket or flights, and still have the same benefits.
Angle bed, hence I need to change to lay flat
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Angle bed, hence I need to change to lay flat
what we have been trying to explain is that the first class cabin on the 74E has full flat first class beds.

as this cabin is open to passengers with business class tickets, you should call Asiana and ask them to seat you there.

normally the first class seats would be reserved for top tier frequent flyers, or for passengers who have paid full fare business class (as opposed to award tickets or special business class fares).

however, as you have been moved from full flat to angled, and as there are spare seats in the first class cabin, simply call them and ask them to seat you there.

that way you don't have to change flights, and can still have a full flat bed.

given you seem reluctant to ask for a full flat bed on your existing flight, no changes to your existing ticket required, are you actually after an excuse to change your flights to a day later?

it is worth pointing out that a first class seat on the 74E is actually better than a business class seat on the a380.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:09 pm

what we have been trying to explain is that the first class cabin on the 74E has full flat first class beds.

as this cabin is open to passengers with business class tickets, you should call Asiana and ask them to seat you there.

normally the first class seats would be reserved for top tier frequent flyers, or for passengers who have paid full fare business class (as opposed to award tickets or special business class fares).

however, as you have been moved from full flat to angled, and as there are spare seats in the first class cabin, simply call them and ask them to seat you there.

that way you don't have to change flights, and can still have a full flat bed.

given you seem reluctant to ask for a full flat bed on your existing flight, no changes to your existing ticket required, are you actually after an excuse to change your flights to a day later?

it is worth pointing out that a first class seat on the 74E is actually better than a business class seat on the a380.
I apologize, I did not initially understand that 74E has "first class" seat as they kept telling me no first class were available, now I understand they have "first class" seat but did not have first class cabin/tickets.

So I think asking for a first class seat on 74E is my best choice , I would not have change any dates.

I will give Asiana a call tomorrow and report back.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I apologize, I did not initially understand that 74E has "first class" seat as they kept telling me no first class were available, now I understand they have "first class" seat but did not have first class cabin/tickets.

So I think asking for a first class seat on 74E is my best choice , I would not have change any dates.

I will give Asiana a call tomorrow and report back.

Thanks for your help!
^

let's hope they can give you a good seat!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
Peoples expectations are way over the top if they believe they are entitled to free changes based on change of equipment where they will still be carried in the same class of service as booked. No carrier guarantees the on board product regardless of paid ticket or redemption ticket.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by travelislife
Peoples expectations are way over the top if they believe they are entitled to free changes based on change of equipment where they will still be carried in the same class of service as booked. No carrier guarantees the on board product regardless of paid ticket or redemption ticket.
Exactly. Especially when using miles accrued on a partner airline, and after that partner airline has left the alliance... how exactly is it US's fault that Asiana crashed a 777, and so now they're shuffling around equipment?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Here's a new one:

I booked a flight for my mother, pre-merger, while USAirways was still part of *A.

A long itinerary, all in biz, but relevant to this discussion: the next leg of the trip is taking her from Johannesburg to Paris, via Accra and Lisbon.

Was booked JNB-ACC on South Africa this Thurs, Oct 23, ACC-LIS on TAP Portugal this Thurs, Oct 23, and LIS-ORY on TAP Portugal this Fri, Oct 24 (it was all that was available at the time...) There was subsequently a schedule change, and now the ACC-LIS flight was canceled on the 23rd, moving the schedule back a day, and putting them in Accra for 24 hour and 45 minutes instead of 90 minutes.

Would be an easy one, except (1) the itin has already begun, and this is the second part of their trip, and (2) USAirways is no longer a part of *A, and says can't touch the *A ticket.

Talked to TAP Portugal, said nothing they can do since not their ticket. USAirways says nothing they can do because it's a *A ticket now and the trip has begun. My mother is going to flip out -- first time big international trip.

Ideas?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbs80
Here's a new one:

I booked a flight for my mother, pre-merger, while USAirways was still part of *A.

A long itinerary, all in biz, but relevant to this discussion: the next leg of the trip is taking her from Johannesburg to Paris, via Accra and Lisbon.

Was booked JNB-ACC on South Africa this Thurs, Oct 23, ACC-LIS on TAP Portugal this Thurs, Oct 23, and LIS-ORY on TAP Portugal this Fri, Oct 24 (it was all that was available at the time...) There was subsequently a schedule change, and now the ACC-LIS flight was canceled on the 23rd, moving the schedule back a day, and putting them in Accra for 24 hour and 45 minutes instead of 90 minutes.

Would be an easy one, except (1) the itin has already begun, and this is the second part of their trip, and (2) USAirways is no longer a part of *A, and says can't touch the *A ticket.

Talked to TAP Portugal, said nothing they can do since not their ticket. USAirways says nothing they can do because it's a *A ticket now and the trip has begun. My mother is going to flip out -- first time big international trip.

Ideas?
The ACC-LIS flight is operated by TAP which is a European Union carrier, travelling to the EU. Depending on the circumstances, your mother may be covered by EU261. How far out was the schedule change/cancellation notified?

Theoretically under EU261 the operating carrier is supposed to make alternative arrangements to get the passenger to their destination at the earliest opportunity, although it is not necessarily a given that the re-routing must be on another carrier... this is something you'd need to explore directly with TAP, advising them of EU261.

Given the limited alternative flight options however, it might be a possibility your mother has a stopover break in ACC.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Priority Club Platinum
I received the Schedule Change email from USAirways on Oct 12, which was after their trip was already underway, and 11 days before the flight in question.

I should also note - it will not be possible for them to get a visa to stay overnight in Ghana, since it is now too short notice. As such, they would not be able to leave the airport.

The ACC-LIS flight is operated by TAP which is a European Union carrier, travelling to the EU. Depending on the circumstances, your mother may be covered by EU261. How far out was the schedule change/cancellation notified?

Theoretically under EU261 the operating carrier is supposed to make alternative arrangements to get the passenger to their destination at the earliest opportunity, although it is not necessarily a given that the re-routing must be on another carrier... this is something you'd need to explore directly with TAP, advising them of EU261.

Given the limited alternative flight options however, it might be a possibility your mother has a stopover break in ACC.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
My mother is going to flip out -- first time big international trip.

Ideas?
Is your mom a US citizen or national? Ghana isn't Europe (where you can just get stamped on entry into the EU) and cursory examination shows visa on arrival won't be pleasant.

Is she vaccinated for yellow fever? She'll need to show proof of vaccination once she gets to the EU (and probably the USA), based on that itinerary.

I'd press the issue with TAP as suggested above... but I don't think I'd have picked someplace where I need a visa to enter the country (and required proof of vaccinations) for a transit point. One plane going mechanical and you are hosed- let alone what you did (inflexible tickets, ticket issuing carrier leaving alliance, second carrier flying metal changes schedule, rookie international traveler).

I'd seriously consider calling calling these guys. The "urgent assistance" option. TBH, they might not let her board the plane in JNB if she doesn't have a visa and they twig that her flight is >24 hours out...

http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...sa-and-health/

National USA (US) /Embarkation South Africa (ZA)
Transit Ghana (GH) /Destination Portugal (PT)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

Ghana (GH)

Visa required, except for Holders of a Dual Nationality Card

issued by Ghana, or:
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max.
transit For details, click here time of 24 hours.

Ghana (GH)

Passengers arriving without a yellow fever vaccination
certificate are subject to vaccination upon arrival:

Portugal (PT)

Passport required.
- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
for at least 3 months beyond the period of intended stay.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 90 days for nationals

of USA. (SEE NOTE 51200).
NOTE 51200: The max. stay is granted within 180 days.
Minors:
- Foreign minors (under 18 years of age)
For details, click here For more information see
www.sef.pt
Additional Information:

- Valid visas in full, invalidated travel documents are
accepted provided accompanied by a new travel document.
- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to
cover their stay and documents required for their next
destination.

Warning:
- Passports and passport replacing documents issued more than
10 years prior to date of travel are not accepted.
- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused

entry.

Portugal (PT)

Vaccinations not required.

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - SOUTH AFRICA - REQUIREMENT FOR MINORS TO
HOLD BIRTH CERTIFICATE POSTPONED UNTIL 1 JUNE 2015

Timaticweb Version 1.3
20 October 2014

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 20, 2014 at 4:02 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Here's a new one:

Ideas?
Don't expect any help from TP in this matter, they won't help...

US should sort it out. Kindly inform US that SA and TP were still USDM partner airlines and they can and have to change the ticket. Escalate to a supervisor.

Check yourself for alternative flights and request to be booked on those... i.ex.:

Code:
			Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
			---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
FRI  24 Oct 2014	SA         56      JNB   12:45     ACC   17:10     343  0   FS/  CS-  YS+
FRI  24 Oct 2014	TP         264     ACC   22:00     LIS   04:45 +1  320  0   FS/  CS+  YS+
SAT  25 Oct 2014	TP         436     LIS   06:55     ORY   10:20     321  0   FS/  CS+  YS+
Connection with SA and TP also works for MPM and LAD... DKR would work too, but also require an 24h connection... Check if a SA flight opens up to Europe (FRA/LHR).

It's quite an exotic connection that you booked here and I would even not book such a routing for myself...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:19 pm

Point well taken.

She is a U.S. Citizen, vaccinated for yellow fever (and carrying the documentation), but agree the visa is a no-go or too-hard-to-go.

I did get USAirways to agree to make a change, but it has to be on South African or TAP, both which are current codeshare partners (even though they have left *A.) Good enough. There is space available in economy to get to ACC on Friday morning, which is probably what I'll end up doing.

Thanks, all.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Is your mom a US citizen or national? Ghana isn't Europe (where you can just get stamped on entry into the EU) and cursory examination shows visa on arrival won't be pleasant.

Is she vaccinated for yellow fever? She'll need to show proof of vaccination once she gets to the EU (and probably the USA), based on that itinerary.

I'd press the issue with TAP as suggested above... but I don't think I'd have picked someplace where I need a visa to enter the country (and required proof of vaccinations) for a transit point. One plane going mechanical and you are hosed- let alone what you did (inflexible tickets, ticket issuing carrier leaving alliance, second carrier flying metal changes schedule, rookie international traveler).

I'd seriously consider calling calling these guys. The "urgent assistance" option. TBH, they might not let her board the plane in JNB if she doesn't have a visa and they twig that her flight is >24 hours out...

http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...sa-and-health/

National USA (US) /Embarkation South Africa (ZA)
Transit Ghana (GH) /Destination Portugal (PT)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

Ghana (GH)

Visa required, except for Holders of a Dual Nationality Card

issued by Ghana, or:
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max.
transit For details, click here time of 24 hours.

Ghana (GH)

Passengers arriving without a yellow fever vaccination
certificate are subject to vaccination upon arrival:

Portugal (PT)

Passport required.
- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
for at least 3 months beyond the period of intended stay.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 90 days for nationals

of USA. (SEE NOTE 51200).
NOTE 51200: The max. stay is granted within 180 days.
Minors:
- Foreign minors (under 18 years of age)
For details, click here For more information see
www.sef.pt
Additional Information:

- Valid visas in full, invalidated travel documents are
accepted provided accompanied by a new travel document.
- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to
cover their stay and documents required for their next
destination.

Warning:
- Passports and passport replacing documents issued more than
10 years prior to date of travel are not accepted.
- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused

entry.

Portugal (PT)

Vaccinations not required.

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - SOUTH AFRICA - REQUIREMENT FOR MINORS TO
HOLD BIRTH CERTIFICATE POSTPONED UNTIL 1 JUNE 2015

Timaticweb Version 1.3
20 October 2014

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.