Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Egypt considered Africa or Middle East in the Award chart?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Is Egypt considered Africa or Middle East in the Award chart?

Does anyone know? This obviously would make a big difference to miles needed.

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:45 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I believe it's considered Africa....

It's not that big of a difference in miles required...

From North America - (Coach/Biz/First)
Mid East 80/120/180
Africa 70/110/150

And, in your favor too. I find it interesting that it takes fewer miles to go to Capetown or Johannesburg than it would to Dubai.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
I believe it's considered Africa....

It's not that big of a difference in miles required...

From North America - (Coach/Biz/First)
Mid East 80/120/180
Africa 70/110/150

And, in your favor too. I find it interesting that it takes fewer miles to go to Capetown or Johannesburg than it would to Dubai.
Thanks!

However, it is a big difference if you are wanting to do something along the lines of CAI-DXB on an award.

Bad news, but good to know.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by martian

Thanks!

Last edited by wsflyer; Jun 8, 2009 at 11:58 am Reason: mistaken info
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wsflyer
According to delta.com, Egypt is considered to be in the Middle East:

https://www.delta.com/components/pop...iddle_east.jsp
I suppose, geographically speaking, it is both. It is on the continent of Africa, but in the region of the Middle East. However, at the end of the day what matters is how it is programmed into the USAir computers. It would be nice if they could be a bit clearer about such things!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:58 am

I suppose, geographically speaking, it is both. It is on the continent of Africa, but in the region of the Middle East. However, at the end of the day what matters is how it is programmed into the USAir computers. It would be nice if they could be a bit clearer about such things!
Sorry, wrong forum--my bad. I was able to find an older US chart that listed Egypt in the Middle East, but can't find a current listing. And, for what it's worth, United, a Star Alliance partner, lists Egypt as in the Middle East. I would call US to get a definitive answer.

Last edited by wsflyer; Jun 8, 2009 at 12:38 pm
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:44 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
I did an award in Dec 08 to Egypt and it came up as Middle East.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

Thanks!
A bit more than a year ago, I redeemed my US miles to go to Cairo and it was considered to be in Africa, not the Middle East.

Avoid flying Egyptair long-haul.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
A bit more than a year ago, I redeemed my US miles to go to Cairo and it was considered to be in Africa, not the Middle East.

Avoid flying Egyptair long-haul.
Weird. So apparently they don't know themselves.

As for avoiding Egyptair. Surely they couldn't possibly be worse than US? I'll gladly trade some beaten up planes and crappy airports for most of the mean surly US employees.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Weird. So apparently they don't know themselves.

As for avoiding Egyptair. Surely they couldn't possibly be worse than US? I'll gladly trade some beaten up planes and crappy airports for most of the mean surly US employees.
Actually, on long-haul flights operated by A340 or B777 aircraft, believe me, Egyptair is terrible and significantly worse than US Airways. I would even dare to say that ANY Envoy Class seat is more comfortable than the F seats Egyptair offers on those planes. Quite filthy.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:26 pm

Egypt - ME/Africa?

Sorry to bump, but didn't want to start a new thread on the exact same question.

Just wondering if there have been any more recent (and perhaps consistent) experiences?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by -Heathcliff-
Sorry to bump, but didn't want to start a new thread on the exact same question.

Just wondering if there have been any more recent (and perhaps consistent) experiences?
It would be faster to call US and just ask, no?

It's still ME.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
ME.

And, excellent advice on avoiding Egypt Air. OMG
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by sbtinme
ME.
Ugh. Spent an hour+ on the phone trying to get from CAI to FRA via KWI/BAH, but the agent I spoke with (and her supervisor) insisted on CAI being Africa and thus incurring higher mileage than the ME-Europe *partner award I was going to book (100,000 vs 80,000 in F). She even went as far as to name a list of countries that were considered ME, which did not include Egypt - though I did not ask how she came up with that list.

Also, the rate desk wouldn't allow the routing even for the Africa mileage.

Any chance of lucking out with another agent? Worst case I can find my own way from CAI to the Gulf region, but obviously I'd like to include it in my award itinerary.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Egypt is geographically in Africa. I wouldn't consider it middle east, even if Cairo (clearly west of the Suez) is politically considered a part of that. One could make an argument that SSH or the Sinai as a whole is in the middle east as it's the only part of Egypt that belongs to Asia but I doubt that would work either.

Also, consider this: Where do you determine what part of Egypt is middle east and what is Africa? If CAI is middle east, is ASW Africa? Because that would turn a CAI-ASW 433 mile route into a 70K economy round trip instead of a 35K award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.