Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

This is a quick and updated (periodically, by members) summary of post 1 that will be visible at the top of all pages of this thread.

Check-in times Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
CLT airport website: https://www.cltairport.com/

Link to older archived posts.

American operates flights out of concourses (sometimes) A and (always) B, C, D and E.

Ticket counters
Main Terminal - Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Concourses:
  • Concourse A is used by mostly other airlines (Air Canada, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Via) but American uses Concourse A for some flights
  • Concourse B is usually used for flights to the West
  • Concourse C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
  • Concourse D (The International Concourse) Most transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa and Volaris included)
  • D4 (A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
  • Concourse E is the American Eagle concourse (Regional flights RJs)
Maps
From Airport Website

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

Getting from Concourse to Concourse

There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. [Obviously not applicable for those pre-cleared at selected overseas locations such as DUB] Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least, there is a moving walkway at the beginning of each concourse, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E).

Other moving walkways include:
  • Across the atrium between concourses A, B and C.
  • Between the security checkpoint C exit and concourses D and E.
Note: One does have to take stairs/escalator or elevator to get to concourse E as it is on ground level.

Security at CLT
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines. Checkpoints A and B are often the most crowded. When this is the case it's worth the walk to checkpoints C through E to avoid the long lines.
Since all the checkpoints share access to the secure area it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all gates.
Below is a break down of where the TSA precheck lanes are and where the checkpoints drop you off within the airport.
  • A Checkpoint: Standard 4 a.m. 8:15 p.m.
  • B Checkpoint: Standard, Main Pre✓ 4 a.m. 8:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Standard, Flex Lanes 5 a.m. 9:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Employee 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
  • D Checkpoint: Main Pre✓ , Preferred 6 a.m. 10:15 p.m.
  • E Checkpoint: Standard 4:30 a.m. 10:45 p.m.
Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.
  • Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
  • According to ExpertFlyer, the current MCT for American Airlines International-Domestic are:
AA-AA ID .50 AUA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 BDA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00 COUNTRY CA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY IE - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.15 REGION EUR - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00
  • MCT for anything involving international flights is 90 minutes; that will work for domestic to international, but:
  • I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?
    A: MCT is 90 minutes, but you should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LHR-CLT-PHX)
Parking at CLT
--Parking info can be found at this link.
*Security Note: If you park using curbside valet your car will be searched.

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLTs Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
Rental cars are in the parking deck directly across from the terminal. Follow the signs to the deck and take the escalator or elevator to the second level where you'll find the rental car counters. You no longer have to take a shuttle to the rental cars.
--More info on Rental Cars

Public Transportation
CATS offers service from CLT:
  • Route 5 Sprinter Airport Express - To Center City (Uptown)

Visit the CATS Website for more details and schedules.

Where to eat in the airport
--Good map of CLT Dining

CLT Lounges
  • American Airlines has two Admirals Clubs in CLT: A larger one between concourses C and D and smaller newly renovated one in concourse B.
  • AMEX is adding a new Centurion lounge, at CLT. It will be located after security at the intersection of Concourses D and E, on the top floor of a new airport expansion. Opening Monday, February 24, 2020
  • The Club CLT. Priority Pass lounge located in the A gate connector.
Currency Exchange
There are two Currency Exchange locations in CLT, both operated by Travelex:
  • One location in the center court atrium inside the secured area (airside). This location is open from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.
  • A second currency exchange location has been added at the entrance to the D concourse in front of gates D1 and D2. This location is open from 6:30 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.

How quick is baggage claim in CLT?
  • Baggage claim returns in CLT tend to run a little longer than most airports. Expect a wait time of 20 to 25 minutes on average after deplaning. Depending on workload baggage returns can run upwards of 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Baggage returns for flights arriving on the E concourse and the A Concourse extension can take up to 45 minutes.
Is there a Chapel/Prayer Space? Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. The Admirals Club provides free access for club members through AT&T.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab or the city bus (see post Public Transportation above for info). I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.
Lyft and Uber can both pick up at the airport.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
  • Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.
  • Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.
Are there pet relief areas airside?
There are three:
  • Concourse A Connector
  • Concourse A/B Connector
  • Concourse D
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: LH HON
I'm not sure. CLT feels like an immigration mess around 2-3pm. Unless you have GE, APC doesn't speed up the process since they make everyone queue in the same freaking line after clearing the machines. Honestly, even LAX or DFW is faster as you'll go to a different queue, once you've done APC. In CLT everyone is using the same line in the end, APC or not. Doesn't make any sense at all.

I've just got into CLT the other day with a companion that had not yet received his GE. From the moment we got into the immigration area it took us 60 minutes to clear it. Inefficiency at its best.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
But you made your connection?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: LH HON
Only because for whatever reason we made it to the gate before AA705.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by ckx2
I'm not sure. CLT feels like an immigration mess around 2-3pm. Unless you have GE, APC doesn't speed up the process since they make everyone queue in the same freaking line after clearing the machines. Honestly, even LAX or DFW is faster as you'll go to a different queue, once you've done APC. In CLT everyone is using the same line in the end, APC or not. Doesn't make any sense at all.

I've just got into CLT the other day with a companion that had not yet received his GE. From the moment we got into the immigration area it took us 60 minutes to clear it. Inefficiency at its best.
Thank you. I have a couple of questions, if I may.
1) Was this during the week or on a Saturday/Sunday?
2) How was security to access the gate for the connecting flight? In PHL, without APC kiosks, immigration was not that bad but the subsequent queue for the security checkpoint was a huge messy line and took almost longer than immigration.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Well, nothing like a morning jog....

AA DCA-CLT 400 pushed back about 6 minutes early but our captain decided to be the only captain out of all the departures this morning to feel the need to deice. Frost on the wings. That took 25 minutes. Pushing out of gate 37, we did a 270 degree turn to get aligned with the alley facing east. That took 7 minutes. Taxi to base of runway 1 (slow taxi and now #6 in line) only to be put on an additional 15-18 minute hold in the "penalty box" owing to flow control into CLT. En route, flight crew nicely asks all passengers with 9:20 flights to raise their hands - I do as well as about a dozen others. Flight crew then asks all those to haven't raised hands to stay in their seats and let "hand raisers" off - including one passenger who was in row 25 (i.e., the last row). Plane lands at 8:50 and is at C-8 at 8:55. Off plane at 8:57.

-run- to gate B-11 for 9:20 DEN flight. With backpack and roll along bag. Make it with Group 5 queueing up to board.

6 minutes run time.

Attractive female in seat next to me. Passes wedding right check. <grin>
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Well, nothing like a morning jog....

AA DCA-CLT 400 pushed back about 6 minutes early but our captain decided to be the only captain out of all the departures this morning to feel the need to deice. Frost on the wings. That took 25 minutes. Pushing out of gate 37, we did a 270 degree turn to get aligned with the alley facing east. That took 7 minutes. Taxi to base of runway 1 (slow taxi and now #6 in line) only to be put on an additional 15-18 minute hold in the "penalty box" owing to flow control into CLT. En route, flight crew nicely asks all passengers with 9:20 flights to raise their hands - I do as well as about a dozen others. Flight crew then asks all those to haven't raised hands to stay in their seats and let "hand raisers" off - including one passenger who was in row 25 (i.e., the last row). Plane lands at 8:50 and is at C-8 at 8:55. Off plane at 8:57.

-run- to gate B-11 for 9:20 DEN flight. With backpack and roll along bag. Make it with Group 5 queueing up to board.

6 minutes run time.

Attractive female in seat next to me. Passes wedding right check. <grin>
At least your flight didn't use a CLT E gate. Usain Bolt might not have made the connection.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Separately, I walked through the new A gates in CLT last weekend. Very nice, and there is a large space in the long hallway leading up to them that looks like it's made for a small lounge to be added.

Amazing that CLT is such a large airport but has only one lounge (other than a USO one).
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
My thoughts exactly. They need a DELTA Sky Club.

On a related note, the other (older half) of the A Concourse renovations are well under way.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:01 am

Connexion in clt

Hello!
I'll arrive on aa705 next month from Frankfurt to vegas with a stopover in Charlotte. Then i'll take the aa627 to Vegas.

anyone for letting me know how it works with immigration, border, baggage before our second flight to vegas?

i have 2h45 between the 2 flights.

many thanks for your help

Last edited by Usavril; Jan 7, 2019 at 6:07 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Usavril
Hello!
I'll arrive on aa705 next month from Frankfurt to vegas with a stopover in Charlotte. Then i'll take the aa627 to Vegas.

anyone for letting me know how it works with immigration, border, baggage before our second flight to vegas?

i have 2h45 between the 2 flights.

many thanks for your help
Nothing special or out of the ordinary. After you get off your FRA-CLT flight, just follow the signs downstairs where you will clear immigration first, then collect any checked luggage, then clear customs, after which you will drop your checked luggage back off with AA. Then you just walk upstairs to departures, clear security again, and go to the gate or lounge before your CLT-LAS flight. 2:45 will be plenty of time.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:27 am

Great. Thank you!!!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:14 am

SXM - CLT 1 hour connection CLT-ORD

Saturday night in 2 weeks I'm scheduled on AA, arrive SXM-CLT 7pm D3. Depart CLT-ORD 8pm B7. I have Global Entry, no checked bags.
Should I even try to run?
The 10:25pm has lots of open seats. I guess that's my backup plan...
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Fayeflyer
Saturday night in 2 weeks I'm scheduled on AA, arrive SXM-CLT 7pm D3. Depart CLT-ORD 8pm B7. I have Global Entry, no checked bags.
Should I even try to run?
The 10:25pm has lots of open seats. I guess that's my backup plan...
1 hr is right at the min connect time, you will definitely need to hustle, but with GE and no luggage you should be fine assuming you're on time arriving into CLT. If you were to get held up AA will just rebook you on the later flight, as you mentioned.
Fayeflyer likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
CLT C/D Admirals Club: "Lord of the Flies" in real life

I recall reading the novel "Lord of the Flies" in high school: a group of people stranded on an island become savages.

The Charlotte Admirals Club is the real-life version of this.

* People pawing at food, and grabbing it with their dirty hands
* People breaking in line and cutting in front of each other to get close to food
* Teeming with people
* People letting dogs and loud children run wild
* People yapping very loudly on their phones

It's pure savagery.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
How long is it likely to take to get from B17 to C17?

I'm on the domestic minimum 40 minute connection time and these seem to be the gates....

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.