FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Does US have a 24 Hour Penalty Free Cancellation/Refund Policy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/932593-does-us-have-24-hour-penalty-free-cancellation-refund-policy.html)

psychtobe Mar 16, 2009 1:53 am

Does US have a 24 Hour Penalty Free Cancellation/Refund Policy?

Sorry for the newbie question - I have not flown US in many years - do they offer a 24 hour or so refund policy for purchased tickets?

cedric Mar 16, 2009 3:25 am

Unfortunately not. They do let you hold a ticket for 24 hours before purchase, and will guarantee the fare. Currently, this can only be done by phone.

If you search the forum there are reports of FTers getting around this on a "one time only" basis by pointing to specific parts of the website where the wording is ambiguous.

psychtobe Mar 16, 2009 10:27 am

thanks

^

emcampbe Aug 16, 2009 6:44 pm

I'm going to bring up this old thread rather than start a new one. Is the information above still correct - i.e. US doesn't allow cancellations without charge within 24 hours of ticketing? Also, that there is no way to hold a ticket online - that it can only be done by phone.

My additional question would be, if I do place a ticket on hold for 24 hours, do I have to call back to ticket, thus incurring a booking fee for booking over the phone? Or can I complete the booking on the Web site?

me4yankees Aug 16, 2009 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 12235467)
I'm going to bring up this old thread rather than start a new one. Is the information above still correct - i.e. US doesn't allow cancellations without charge within 24 hours of ticketing? Also, that there is no way to hold a ticket online - that it can only be done by phone.

My additional question would be, if I do place a ticket on hold for 24 hours, do I have to call back to ticket, thus incurring a booking fee for booking over the phone? Or can I complete the booking on the Web site?

The information is still correct as you have stated above. A restricted fare ticket is non-refundable once you click purchase.

You can complete a held booking by telephone or you can let that one expire and start a new booking online.

ellinj Aug 16, 2009 8:05 pm

How do you hold a booking online? I don't believe I have ever seen this option.

CDKing Aug 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj (Post 12235733)
How do you hold a booking online? I don't believe I have ever seen this option.

Per the response above you can create a reservation on the phone and hold it. If the price is still the same forget about the one you booked over the phone and create a web reservation. If the price went up the next day you can call and book the held one (with phone fee). They would be two completely different reservations.

notmypetunia Aug 17, 2009 8:41 am

Oh, I thought putting a reservation on hold meant that the airline would guarantee a hold on the seat but not the fare.

kudzu Aug 17, 2009 9:11 am

Originally Posted by notmypetunia (Post 12237688)
Oh, I thought putting a reservation on hold meant that the airline would guarantee a hold on the seat but not the fare.

I remember that used to be the case; in looking again, whatever provision they had about no-fare-guarantee is no longer there and it appears they'll now hold both the seat and the fare....

From US Terms of Transportation

4.4 24 Hour Hold Policy
US Airways will hold a customer’s telephone reservation without payment or penalty, upon request, for a maximum period of 24 hours. This policy applies to domestic refundable as well as non−refundable fares.

A telephone reservation is defined as an itinerary or trip for which payment has not been received. Once a domestic ticket is purchased using a nonrefundable fare, the applicable fees will be collected for any itinerary change and refunds will not be issued.

Chamor Aug 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Am I correc that Orbitz allows cancellation within 24 hours after purchase, with refund? If so, that would be another alternative.

CDKing Aug 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Chamor (Post 12239334)
Am I correc that Orbitz allows cancellation within 24 hours after purchase, with refund? If so, that would be another alternative.

From Orbitz.com

Flight cancellations within 24 hours of booking

One of the exceptions to the cancellation mentioned is:

flights booked with certain airlines.

It doesn't say which airlines they are referring to

nigelloring Aug 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Does US have a 24-hour cancel policy?

Title says it all - I'm a UA flyer usually .... thanks.

me4yankees Aug 27, 2009 6:11 pm

You can hold a reservation by telephone. Otherwise, restricted fare tickets are non-refundable once purchased.

bitburgr Aug 27, 2009 6:16 pm

Some corporate travel agents have negotiated a 24 hr cancellation period on purchased tickets. My last company did.

indo79 Aug 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by nigelloring (Post 12293522)
Title says it all - I'm a UA flyer usually .... thanks.

I am guessing you got in on that deal :D

I searched this forum last night and they do not have a 24 hour policy like UA. You can call and hold but that would give some things away :D