Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does US have a 24 Hour Penalty Free Cancellation/Refund Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:30 pm

In regards to their understanidng for emeergencies, I remember about a year ago CO handling a change of destination (due to an emergency) excellent. The agent was real understanding didnt want anything except the difference in fair (and he made sure it was a low fare - so it turned out to be $8). I had not status and not even a FF # in their...that was classy!

US on the other hand told me I could pay full fare since I am guarnteed a seat as an elite. I hold nothing against US as it is their policy and I willing fly them as an elite. However, I just give appluase to CO for their understanding and professional handling of the situtation to an essentially dirt traveler on their ariline.

I tried to cancel a ticket once on US three hours after ticketing, but the agent said it was past midnight I couldnt without penalty.

I understand eliminating the holding of reservations as it does take a lot of resources and there is probably a high amount of nonbookins from those res that are held. However, the 24 hour cancellation policy is fiar for all and should be adopted by US.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:33 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Clincher
I've wondered why USAir doesn’t have a 24-hour cancellation policy. What is the advantage to them?
they have your money, end of story.

BTW, good question OP, I've always wondered about various *A partners policy on this.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:01 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & Companion Pass, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Prez Circle
Is was unaware that UA and CO had this as an official policy for individual travelers, if so great. What it sounds like you are referring to and one other poster mentioned this, is the agreement that almost all carriers have with their travel agent partners to cancel/void reservations with 24 hours of booking. This is not an official policy that is typically extended to reservations made by an individual, but obviously airlines can and will accommodate individuals on a case-by-case basis.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: US AIR Chairmans, HHonors, CO Gold
I have always been able to cancel within 24 hours as a CP
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by trappermartin
I have always been able to cancel within 24 hours as a CP
That's been my limited experience at cancellations as a CP too, but I'm not sure whether it's an unpublished benefit or a courtesy.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:54 am

Found a cheaper flight 12hr after purchase, can I refund?

Hi,

I've done this through CheapTickets.com, but not on USAirways.com. Do they have a 24hr refund policy? With Cheaptickets, I just lost a $10 fee or something like that - I just had to put in a request with the website, but can't find any info about it on the USair website. It will save me over $150. Thoughts....ideas??
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
US has no such policy. If you find a cheaper fare, you must pay US $150 for the "privilege" of using their "Lower Fare Guarantee".

Your best bet is to call US and try to cancel your ticket for a full refund (don't mention the lower fare). For that to happen, you'll need (1) a really good excuse and (2) a sympathetic phone agent. The latter is highly unlikely, but it happens.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
I happened to ask a hypothetical question to the chairman's desk last night...asking if I could cancel within 24 hours. She said that it's not policy, but typically when people call in shortly after booking and explain that they made a mistake, they'll get a full refund. I've done this once without any problem (it was an actual mistake). She said that the likelihood of getting a refund the next day is quite low, though.

Good luck.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Cheaptickets offers a best price gurantee but ironically it brings up a 404 error when clicking on the link in the website.

Maybe try calling them?

Edit: I think it might only be for hotels....
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Here's a link to cheaptickets.com cancellation/change policy:

https://faq.cheaptickets.com/app/ans...VIM2FZag%3D%3D
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
allow the customer either to hold a telephone reservation without payment for 24 hour

Originally Posted by tommyleo
US has no such policy. If you find a cheaper fare, you must pay US $150 for the "privilege" of using their "Lower Fare Guarantee".

Your best bet is to call US and try to cancel your ticket for a full refund (don't mention the lower fare). For that to happen, you'll need (1) a really good excuse and (2) a sympathetic phone agent. The latter is highly unlikely, but it happens.
When how does this apply?
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/about...rviceplan.html
Allow reservations to be held or canceled
Each airline will allow the customer either to hold a telephone reservation without payment for 24 hours or (at the election of the carrier) to cancel a reservation without penalty for up to 24 hours, in order to give customers an opportunity to check for lower fares through other distribution systems, such as travel agents or the internet.

US Airways will hold a customer's reservation without payment or penalty for a maximum period of 24 hours. This policy applies to refundable as well as non-refundable fares.

A telephone reservation is defined as an itinerary or trip for which payment has not been received. Purchased, refundable tickets (paper or electronic) will be refunded via the US Airways refund department regardless of when the tickets were purchased. Changes made to the itinerary after purchase will be assessed the current change fee regardless of when the tickets were purchased.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by Braswch
When how does this apply?...
It's been some time since I had a reservation on 24 hour hold, but I believe it's still the same: Call, reserve the flights you want, price quote given, PNR issued, auto-expires in 24 hours unless you call back in with credit card payment.

No phone fee for me as CP, and the price quoted was the same when ticketed (I mention this because others have complained that their hold price had increased when ticketed...this has not been my experience).
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kudzu
It's been some time since I had a reservation on 24 hour hold, but I believe it's still the same: Call, reserve the flights you want, price quote given, PNR issued, auto-expires in 24 hours unless you call back in with credit card payment.

No phone fee for me as CP, and the price quoted was the same when ticketed (I mention this because others have complained that their hold price had increased when ticketed...this has not been my experience).
I thought you could hold a flight for 3 days? I've done it before and the price increased, but they had the rates desk open the older fare for me.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Does US have a 24 hour cancellation policy?

Like with UA, can one cancel resv booked through US without a fee within 24 hours of booking.
Old May 12, 2010, 2:00 pm

Nope. You can hold a telephone reservation though.

From the Terms of transportation

4.4 24 Hour Hold Policy
US Airways will hold a customer’s telephone reservation without payment or penalty, upon request, for a maximum period of 24 hours. This policy applies to domestic refundable as well as non−refundable fares.

A telephone reservation is defined as an itinerary or trip for which payment has not been received. Once a domestic ticket is purchased using a nonrefundable fare, the applicable fees will be collected for any itinerary change and refunds will not be issued

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.