Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Staff meeting- Management concerned no other airline cut elite bonuses

Staff meeting- Management concerned no other airline cut elite bonuses

Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Renard
Hopefully it will be rescinded quickly by US and other the other airlines will learn from US' stupid, stupid move.
That's always possible since they've rescinded DM changes before. I can imagine the email to DM members:

"We've heard you loud and clear . . ."
Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
That's always possible since they've rescinded DM changes before. I can imagine the email to DM members:

Barn door? Horse --- Gone!!!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
The e-mail will be similar to the one sent out when then rescinded their decision to remove the power ports from the airbus aircraft.

"We heard you loud and clear ... aren't we cool for listening to you? See? We totally listened! See? Wow - we're awesome! See? See how we listened? Doesn't that make us really cool? We think so."
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
"We heard you loud and clear ... aren't we cool for listening to you? See? We totally listened! See? Wow - we're awesome! See? See how we listened? Doesn't that make us really cool? We think so."
Travis, is that you?
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
I actually wrote an email to US on this topic a couple of days ago. I got no fewer than THREE separate replies saying they were forwarding the email to upper management. That's FAR more response than I was expecting. Perhaps someone is listening. Or perhaps the lower management employees see the stupidity of this decision and are trying to bring the upper mgmt around.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
saying they were forwarding the email to upper management.
That was the response when I worked in consumer affairs. And, at least then, they did what they said they were doing, but that didn't mean changes were made. If they are smart, which from what I hear and read they aren't, this will be rescinded. Assuming they're still afloat.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles Gold Preferred, Continental OnePass Elite Platinum, FFOCUS
I don't think any airline has the brass to do what US has done to their most loyal customers. Don't forget this is a loyalty program...designed to make you fly the airline more and other airlines less. You stick with it for your own benefit, supposedly. US has given no reason to stay with them and, in fact, has given every reason to leave.

I certainly wouldn't want to be the airline that attempts and fails to set a trend of screwing over your best customers. I think the other airlines are above that. The fallout would be enormous if no one else matches it. This was too much, too soon, and I think the other airlines will capitalize on this latest US Airways blunder...as they have in the past.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jumpgate
The e-mail will be similar to the one sent out when then rescinded their decision to remove the power ports from the airbus aircraft.

So your basically saying they should not do a reversal and drop the change because it won't make any difference, your going to continue to complain about everything anyway. Nice, real nice...now I hope they are not listening.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by USCHAIRMANS
Been told by US Airways staff member that at a meeting last week it was admitted that US senior management very concerned that no other carrier has followed them in cutting elite bonuses and instead responded by offering status matches.

it is really worth piling on the pressure an encouraging friends and family to call the Executive Offices and join Randy's petition. I had 6 other people sign up today.
The plan hasn't even taken effect yet - give it some time. I am still convinced other airlines will take similar action - even if it is a sure fire way to wave bye bye to their most loyal FF's. Time will tell I guess - 5 days and counting...
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta MM, Lufthansa FTL, SPG Gold
Quote: The plan hasn't even taken effect yet - give it some time. I am still convinced other airlines will take similar action - even if it is a sure fire way to wave bye bye to their most loyal FF's. Time will tell I guess - 5 days and counting...

Seems US management will be all too pleased to talk to you about a new position in their talented strategic planning team
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
Originally Posted by USCHAIRMANS
Been told by US Airways staff member that at a meeting last week it was admitted that US senior management very concerned that no other carrier has followed them in cutting elite bonuses and instead responded by offering status matches.

it is really worth piling on the pressure an encouraging friends and family to call the Executive Offices and join Randy's petition. I had 6 other people sign up today.
I'm not surprised, because of this, I've matched to Platinum on CO to Feb 2010, have gotten upgrades on CO and a 125%!! elite bonus mile match.

I've flown US my whole life, but this broke the camels back...

I'm VERY Glad they are concerned but doubt they will change the error of their ways....
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
Originally Posted by TPA us ff

Honestly, even if they reverse, they'll have to offer something else, they've blown it for their best customers.

I just spent nearly 4k on 5 reservations ALL ON CO!!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:22 pm
Suspended

My understanding is US has a significantly higher percentage of its elite level fliers at its various hubs - PHX, CLT, PHL and maybe LAS than other airlines, so the thought was A) they might lose elites in spoke markets but since they are the dominant player in CLT and PHL and the only east-west network carrier in PHL, to leave US, elites would have to choose a connection over a direct flight. In other words, if 80 percent of their elites are in their hubs (I dont know the real number), losing the bonus miles would have to be worth making a connection in an environment of fewer flights, higher loads and more hassles. Therefore US is counting that leakage of elites in spoke markets will be offset by money saved by issuing less miles.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
My understanding is US has a significantly higher percentage of its elite level fliers at its various hubs - PHX, CLT, PHL and maybe LAS than other airlines, so the thought was A) they might lose elites in spoke markets but since they are the dominant player in CLT and PHL and the only east-west network carrier in PHL, to leave US, elites would have to choose a connection over a direct flight. In other words, if 80 percent of their elites are in their hubs (I dont know the real number), losing the bonus miles would have to be worth making a connection in an environment of fewer flights, higher loads and more hassles. Therefore US is counting that leakage of elites in spoke markets will be offset by money saved by issuing less miles.
Well, I'm a PHL based CP and I'm gone. And I don't think I'm alone....
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
The only hub where US is a dominant share player is in CLT. PHX has significant WN presence. LAS is present by everybody. PHL is semi-dominant, but because of the city size, has significant non-US service. LGA and DCA (if you want to call them "hubs") both have alternate airports and both have significant non-US presence.

If this was Delta which basically owns CVG and SLC and has 75% out of ATL, I'd buy it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.