Wiki Posts
Search

Whats next...Quarter and half segments?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP
Whats next...Quarter and half segments?

For those of us that do almost exclusive short-haul flying and qualify based on segments, is it hard to fathom that USAirways may actually start giving quarter and half segments? Even in todays industry i cannot believe they're getting rid of the EQM Bonus so I guess nothing should surprise us anymore. I figured US was in better shape than United but apparently not so...why aren't they trimming capacity?!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 5:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
US cant trim a lot because of minimum requirements dealing with some contracts with the pilots, etc...
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Don't be stunned if the entire DM program is abandoned. That way it's clean and easy.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich
Don't be stunned if the entire DM program is abandoned. That way it's clean and easy.
My thoughts exactly...zero...
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:01 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I can see that happen. Most likely with a 12-18 month notice to "use them or lose them" announcement. However, I think the next "branch" they hit as they fall into the abyss will be their expulsion from Star Alliance.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by WhozerFlyer
For those of us that do almost exclusive short-haul flying and qualify based on segments, is it hard to fathom that USAirways may actually start giving quarter and half segments? Even in todays industry i cannot believe they're getting rid of the EQM Bonus so I guess nothing should surprise us anymore. I figured US was in better shape than United but apparently not so...why aren't they trimming capacity?!
CO already has half (and, to be fair, double) segments, WN has quarters (well, 1.25 on their new Business fares short haul), and DL has no segment qual at all.

US does not have much slack for cutting capacity because their pilot contract requires them to maintain a minimum active mainline fleet size. They cannot change that without a new pilot contract, and they cannot get a new pilot contract while the pilot East and West sub-groups remain at war.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: US1
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I can see that happen. Most likely with a 12-18 month notice to "use them or lose them" announcement. However, I think the next "branch" they hit as they fall into the abyss will be their expulsion from Star Alliance.
Sadly it's going to have to take a little more than changing their DM program to get them kicked out of *A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.