Zone 2 = "Priority" Boarding?

Old May 1, 2008, 8:24 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: United
Zone 2 = "Priority" Boarding?

As Gold Preferred, now demoted to Silver, with a BA Visa Signature card, I've become accustomed to Zone 1 boarding, but now I've also been demoted to Zone 2. Though I can still find space in an overhead bin somewhere near my seat, it thoroughly annoys me to continually listen to the FA's shilling this credit card and "Priority Boarding" as one of its benefits. How much of a "priority" is Zone 2? Isn't this something like deceptive advertising? Question has been posted to Customer Relations. Looking forward to their spin on this one.
Old May 1, 2008, 8:33 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
I believe Zone 1 is Gold, Plat, CP and *G. Zone 2 is the rest of the preferred and non-elite card holders. You still get priority over general boarding but after higher level elites. I think that's perfectly reasonable - why should non-elite card holders get the same benefit as people who put a lot of BIS miles on US? You still get priority - just not as much as some others.
Old May 1, 2008, 8:33 am

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Originally Posted by KenCT
How much of a "priority" is Zone 2? Isn't this something like deceptive advertising?
I wouldn't call it deceptive...it is priority boarding. In Y you will always board zone 2 regardless of where you sit--beats the heck out of zone 17 or whatever it goes up to. Of course if you catch the u/g you'll be z1.
Old May 1, 2008, 8:37 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Of course everyone looks at things differently but, IMO, zone 2 is priority boarding especially since zone 2 is the boarding zone for SPs. It's certainly not zone 1 but much better than zone 6.
Old May 1, 2008, 8:57 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Thanks for the almost immediate input. Believe me, I have the utmost sympathy for those of you who need to travel way more than I do. What precipitated my original post, though, was a conversation with a seatmate who asked for a credit card application, assuming, as I would think many would, that "priority" would mean "first." I guess that "priority," "preferred" and "elite" all have unique definitions when it comes to USAirways.
Old May 1, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Huh?

Priority doesn't mean first.

Zone 1 = First/Business class, *A G, CP, PP, GP

Zone 2 = *A S, SP, Signature

Zone 3-x = whatever based on the seating chart.

So yes Zone 2 is priority seating over general seating/boarding.

I /think/ exit seats are also priority seats. Not sure but I /think/ it is Zone 1 as well.
Old May 1, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Thanks for the almost immediate input. Believe me, I have the utmost sympathy for those of you who need to travel way more than I do. What precipitated my original post, though, was a conversation with a seatmate who asked for a credit card application, assuming, as I would think many would, that "priority" would mean "first." I guess that "priority," "preferred" and "elite" all have unique definitions when it comes to USAirways.
Huh? How is this different than UA where top elites, global service and F board first as priority - then seating 1 which is lower level elites? There are plenty of other airlines that prioritize their top elites over lower level elites and card holders. Hell, AA doesn't even allow their card holders to board early - I know I try it every time I fly AA hoping it will work
Old May 1, 2008, 9:47 am

Isn't Zone 2 also based on seating charts?

Or is it ONLY SP and card holders? I see a lot of non SPs with Zone 2 - they can't ALL be cardholders.
Old May 1, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
With the way they are hawking those credit cards on US flights, I'm surprised there are any zones after Zone 2.

Now that they are about 75% consistent on calling the F cabin to board prior to Zone 1, I think that they should group the Silvers with Zone 1, and classify Zone 2 for just the credit card holders. I think that Silvers, who still fly alot of BIS miles (with the exception of those who bought their status), should be able to board before the credit card holders.
Old May 1, 2008, 10:43 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iztok
Huh?

Priority doesn't mean first.
In the real, non-airline world, where some of us live, "priority" has the following synonyms: precedence, greater importance, preference, preeminence, predominance, primacy, first place. (My emphasis. Source: Oxford American Dictionary-Thesaurus)

Originally Posted by olenkaz
Isn't Zone 2 also based on seating charts?

Or is it ONLY SP and card holders? I see a lot of non SPs with Zone 2 - they can't ALL be cardholders.
That's where I was going with this.
Old May 1, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: SW, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents
I was demoted to Silver this March and have sort of gotten used to seeing Zone 2 on my BP. But - this morning I printed out my BPs for a trip tomorrow and it says Silver at the top and Zone 1 at the bottom. I wonder if this is maybe because both flights are RJs?
Old May 1, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
In the real, non-airline world, where some of us live,...
Hah! Ever try mailing "Priority Mail" at the Post Office (what better example of the real world )? Priority Mail is No 2 to "Express Mail", I believe.

Meaning/nuances change with time and usage.
Old May 1, 2008, 2:48 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kudzu
Hah! Ever try mailing "Priority Mail" at the Post Office (what better example of the real world )? Priority Mail is No 2 to "Express Mail", I believe.

Meaning/nuances change with time and usage.
Touché

Last edited by KenCT; May 1, 2008 at 2:51 pm Reason: To add the accent mark
Old May 1, 2008, 9:09 pm

My thoughts take em or leave em

Silver should get to board with zone one or at least before the credit card types. Half the plane is zone 2 nowdays. Silvers get no respect. 30-49 segments flown is still a heck of a lot more than the casual traveler.

Zone 2 is not just silver and CC it is part of the general boarding. Back of the bus by the windows is also zone 2. So it isnt exactly "preferred" boarding

Exit row does not get zone 1 or 2 automatically or preferred boarding. It may seem so becuase usually its elites sitting in the exit row.

On lots of my flights as of late the GA have been calling preboards then First Class then preferred including "chairmans platinum gold silver and star gold and silver" so you get to board with Zone 1 even if your BP says Zone 2 just as long as it says silver on top.

I also have seen an increase in Zones 6 or 7 or whatever boarding with Zone 2 as some GA just dont enforce the rules.
Old May 1, 2008, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
In the real, non-airline world, where some of us live, "priority" has the following synonyms: precedence, greater importance, preference, preeminence, predominance, primacy, first place. (My emphasis. Source: Oxford American Dictionary-Thesaurus)
Seems to me the other 6 definitions confirm a higher importance, earlier ordering, not first. In my real world, 6 usually beats 1 (especially when that 1 is last)

After many years enjoying Zone 1, I have no issues being Zone 2 in exchange for staying off planes.

btw, I just filed a Low Priority issue with my project team. Explain that one

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.