How is Us Airways PHL-MAD?

Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Question How is Us Airways PHL-MAD?

Hi everyone, I've never flown on Us Airways for an international flight. In the past I've just used them for short domestic trips, as their fares were always the lowest out of BUF, and their service has always been good enough. I'm taking a trip to Spain, and as usual, US Airways is giving the best fare, so Im seriously considering them. I was just wondering how their European service is. The flight to Madrid from PHL is on an A330, will that plane have personal seat back televisions? Im traveling with someone who isnt the greatest flyer, so any entertainment like that would be awesome. Also is the meal service anything worth eating, or should i just stock up at PHL?

thanks in advance!
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:06 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
no idea, just had to go to MAD from SFO, UA put this up on its web-site and I said, no F--ing way. Got the same Fare on UA to FRA, then on to MAD on LH. (that said I have SWU as a 1K). If I were you, and wanted a pleasent trip, I would look arround, and gladly pay more for some other airline, I bet UA/LH will match the fare, as will others....

just my 2 sents worth.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:46 pm

On demand personal seat back video screens are provided on A330 (but bring your own headset or $5 to purchase one). Food is OK, not spectacular. On time performance has been good as of late. If you are fine flying US domestic, you will probably be comfortable with them internationally.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
I just went PHL-MAD last week. My flight over was unfortunately on the 767 which has no in-seat entertainment. We ordered special meals because it's been my experience that sometimes those are better than the regular fare. By ordering the Moslem and Hindu meals (we figured we'd mix it up), we got the exact same item, a yellow curry with chicken and rice. I believe there was some mysterious green vegetable as well. We wished we had ordered the regular meal once we saw it. Ours was accompanied with bread and butter. Service was fine, but I don't normally require a whole lot from my FA.

Coming back we had the 330. The in-seat entertainment was nice. It had about 8 movies, 20 TV shows, and 20 albums to listen to. Make sure you bring your own headphones and adapter (the jack in the armrest has two prongs), otherwise you'll pay $5. We changed our meal preference back to the normal meal. My girlfriend got roasted chicken with potatoes and spinach. I got cheese tortellini with green beans. Both came with bread and butter, cheese, a spicy rice salad, a caramel mousse, and a Toblerone. I thought the pasta wasn't half bad. Service again was fine, unfortunately it appeared none of the FAs spoke Spanish.

Overall, seat comfort was fine. Food was fine. Service was fine. Certainly a more comfortable seat than LH Y since no one can recline into your face.
I'd prefer UA E+, but if forced to take US again overseas, I wouldn't hesitate too much. I'll give it a solid B. Free booze would make it an A-.

Chris
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:50 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Service again was fine, unfortunately it appeared none of the FAs spoke Spanish.
GalleyWench can clarify this, but I thought all TA flights had at least one LODO F/A.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll give another search of alternatives over the weekend, but probably take the Us Airways flight. The fare they're offering is much better than the others, especially considering there isnt a huge layover like on AA. Thanks again for all the replies! Makes the decision process much easier I just have to hope I don't end up the 767!
Old Mar 15, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: US, AA
Originally Posted by rte66kid
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll give another search of alternatives over the weekend, but probably take the Us Airways flight. The fare they're offering is much better than the others, especially considering there isnt a huge layover like on AA. Thanks again for all the replies! Makes the decision process much easier I just have to hope I don't end up the 767!
So you are connecting through PHL? Are you checking any luggage? If yes, I would pack such that you can survive for a few days with what you have in your carry-on. PHL is a black hole for luggage. Yes, entertainment in A330 is good - if it works without crashing that is.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jagadheep
Yes, entertainment in A330 is good - if it works without crashing that is.
I assume you mean the IFE might crash, not the A330.

Old Mar 16, 2008, 7:23 pm

So you are connecting through PHL? Are you checking any luggage? If yes, I would pack such that you can survive for a few days with what you have in your carry-on. PHL is a black hole for luggage.

haha dont scare me

really that bad?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rte66kid
Hi everyone, I've never flown on Us Airways for an international flight. In the past I've just used them for short domestic trips, as their fares were always the lowest out of BUF, and their service has always been good enough. I'm taking a trip to Spain, and as usual, US Airways is giving the best fare, so Im seriously considering them. I was just wondering how their European service is. The flight to Madrid from PHL is on an A330, will that plane have personal seat back televisions? Im traveling with someone who isnt the greatest flyer, so any entertainment like that would be awesome. Also is the meal service anything worth eating, or should i just stock up at PHL?

thanks in advance!
If you are not worried about earning miles, I wouldn't fly a American carrier to Europe. Fly a European one - British Airways, Air France, Swiss or SAS come to mind. LH is uncomfortable in coach. But even Iberia (which flies non-stop from JFK) is better than US.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by sts603
But even Iberia (which flies non-stop from JFK) is better than US.
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that one. IB is the pits!!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by cedric
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that one. IB is the pits!!
I flew IB last fall IAD-MAD-BOS and didn't find it too bad. Free booze, edible food. Entertainment was awful. Crew wasn't too helpful when a woman on the other aisle lost her lunch all over the place.

That said, Iberia's saving grace is the beautiful (and empty) new terminal at MAD. US uses the older terminal at the airport.

I'd also skip BA. Transiting LHR after flying transatlantic is never fun.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: US, AA
Originally Posted by smokey12
haha dont scare me

really that bad?
I'm really serious. That doesn't mean that luggage gets lost permanently, but a higher than normal fraction of luggage doesn't make it to the connecting flight at PHL. So, if transiting through PHL, pack essentials in your carry-on so that if your checked baggage doesn't make it, you can still survive for a couple of days.

And I will second the suggestion of flying a European rather than American carrier if you have a choice.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Hey, thanks for all the advice and tips ^ If I end up connecting through PHL ill pack a few extra things with me. I was just leaning towards the Us Airways flight because their times were a lot more convenient than other carriers, and it only involved one connection. Going from BUF to MAD on most non-American airlines took a couple connections. Heh, and the Us Airways fare is really good. So I'll have to weigh cost vs. quality a little I suppose.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:44 pm

I'm really serious. That doesn't mean that luggage gets lost permanently, but a higher than normal fraction of luggage doesn't make it to the connecting flight at PHL. So, if transiting through PHL, pack essentials in your carry-on so that if your checked baggage doesn't make it, you can still survive for a couple of days.

And I will second the suggestion of flying a European rather than American carrier if you have a choice.
PHL is way better with baggage than even a couple of years ago. If you look at the stats, US is similar to UA, DL in terms of lost baggage. In other words, these days there's no need to worry about lost baggage compared to the other US based carriers. PHL has had massive improvements in the last 2 years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.