Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I don't understand the automatic upgrade system!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
I don't understand the automatic upgrade system!

I'm currently traveling with my fiancee - we're on the same reservation - or at least were.

On the way from Boston to San Francisco we were upgraded on one flight but not the long one from PHL to SFO. I was chatting with two people around the gate - both of them Gold - who were upgraded during the automatic upgrade period. Well, as a Platinum member, if there were two seats available for upgrade, why were they not given to me and my companion since we were on the same reservation we should have been eligible? I would have thought that Plat should get preference over Gold or do they do things in reverse at US Airways now?

Now, for the trip home, I was notified of the automatic upgrade. I called to enquire about seat assignments as they wouldn't show it online. They gave me a seat. I asked "what about my fiancee traveling on my itinerary" and was told "you're the only one on your reservation." So this concerned me - happy about my upgrade, but now they've lost my fiancee. Turns out they split the reservation, assigned her a new reservation number (and didn't tell anyone) and upgraded me but not her - and they won't upgrade her now because she's on a separate reservation.

I just don't understand - it reminds me of 2001: A Space Odyssey - the computer's taken over and the people can't do anything about it. What are the rules? Where do companion upgrades fit into the system? Why would they have split the reservation and not told anyone (had I not called we would have had a hell of a time getting checked in I'm sure.) I just don't understand this!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:18 pm

Programs: US1
Even though you might be on two different RES numbers. They have been able in the past to cross reference RES numbers. I am not sure if SHARES can do this. You would hope it could but probably can't.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: PC Plat / US Gold / Hertz 5* / Avis First
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
Even though you might be on two different RES numbers. They have been able in the past to cross reference RES numbers. I am not sure if SHARES can do this. You would hope it could but probably can't.
I have had no problems upgrading companions who were not on my itenerary. I find that it is much easier just call the perfered line and have them added to the wait list.
Also, if their are not seats available in first class when they go to process your upgrade, you will not automaticly be upgraded to first class if they later become available. (They are then first come first serve) For example:
The day before your flight, a first class seat becomes available...they would not automatically give that ticket to the senior preffered person on the wait list. It would remain available until people start checking in, or any silver or higher prefered member could call and take that seat.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
To the op--its all about the timeframe with olci. If you have not been automatically upgraded you have to hit the standby list via olci. Bottom line? A silver at the 24 hour mark can get that seat over a plat, and in my case (its happened twice) a CP.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Originally Posted by Dan_the_Man
I have had no problems upgrading companions who were not on my itenerary. I find that it is much easier just call the perfered line and have them added to the wait list.
Also, if their are not seats available in first class when they go to process your upgrade, you will not automaticly be upgraded to first class if they later become available. (They are then first come first serve) For example:
The day before your flight, a first class seat becomes available...they would not automatically give that ticket to the senior preffered person on the wait list. It would remain available until people start checking in, or any silver or higher prefered member could call and take that seat.
I was talking to the Platinum line and they were the ones who said they couldn't upgrade her because she was not on the same itinerary. I also called 3 times before the outbound flights to see if upgrades had become available for the PHL-SFO portion. I could see someone checking in and getting the upgrade, though I did check in pretty close to 24 hours in advance - I always do when I have not yet received an upgrade.

I just think they should do a better job of giving upgrades based on status level - I don't mind seeing all CP in first - I do get a little pissed when Silver is in 1st and I'm stuck back in coach. I don't know, but it seems other airlines have much better ways to ensure that upgrades go to those that deserve it most and I really don't think their "new and improved" online upgrade system really gives upgrades the way they tell us it does.

I realize it's a "free" perk and that the more comfortable seat and cheap meal are given as a bonus. I shouldn't complain, I just wish the system would upgrade in order, keep you in that order and if not given out according to upgrade rules before flight day, give it over to airport control and have the upgrades handed out at the gate.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
It's hard to imagine Gold's getting upgraded on PHL-SFO in ANY situation - that's a tough route!
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by ECOTONE
It's hard to imagine Gold's getting upgraded on PHL-SFO in ANY situation - that's a tough route!
The key is to continuously check to see if 1st is available. You can check this on your blackberry. As soon as you see one available just call the perfered line, and they will put you in that seat (never wait on a ticket or gate agent). People often change their flights or are re-routed. It is very rare that I am not upgraded. DCA-PHX, DCA-SAN, PHX-SEA.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by BostonMark
I was talking to the Platinum line and they were the ones who said they couldn't upgrade her because she was not on the same itinerary.
I would have called back and talked to someone else. Someone who had a clue.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis President; Marriott Platinum
When we had SABRE you were able to tell the CSR to either upgrade just yourself first or only both. SHARE just suxs!
Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by EddieG
When we had SABRE you were able to tell the CSR to either upgrade just yourself first or only both. SHARE just suxs!
What is SHARE? I am not familiar with the terms SABRE or SHARE.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:35 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This has been common in 2007 - lower level elites getting seats over the higher tiers who SHOULD have gotten them. Tempe's response? "Here's how to game the system - just call regualrly to check". No thanks. I have a job and demands on my time. The system should WORK AS ADVERTISED. Since I can just game the system, why bother to make more than SP anyway?
Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:22 pm

Next time request a sup if the agent is unwilling tp put your companion in an upgraded seat if avail. I can and should be done. Mama
Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
This has been common in 2007 - lower level elites getting seats over the higher tiers who SHOULD have gotten them. Tempe's response? "Here's how to game the system - just call regualrly to check". No thanks. I have a job and demands on my time. The system should WORK AS ADVERTISED. Since I can just game the system, why bother to make more than SP anyway?
Understand your frustration; however, you don't have to call to check. You can see if seats are available with the click of a button at your PC or blackberry (Under 15 seconds of your time waisted).
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:05 pm

Programs: None
What is SHARE? I am not familiar with the terms SABRE or SHARE.
They're reservation systems.....

Sabre, originally developed by American in the 60's, was the system used by "old" US Airways until March 4 of this year.

Shares is the underlying system that was used by America West and by the entire "new" US Airways starting March 4. HP, and now the entire airline, use a "fill in the blanks" overlay on top of Shares called QIK so the system that res and airport agents use is really QIK/Shares.

Jim
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:28 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Understand your frustration; however, you don't have to call to check. You can see if seats are available with the click of a button at your PC or blackberry (Under 15 seconds of your time waisted).
Since when (or where) can one find O inventory published? F and P can be indicators, but they're not guarantees of O being there. .... AND I'd still have to call to grab the seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.