Wiki Posts
Search

Jeans in First - Threatened to be moved to coach

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Jeans in First - Threatened to be moved to coach

Is this a new policy for paying customers?

My wife is Silver with US, and was flying PDX-PHL last night on the redeye (flight 303, operated by America West). Her ticket was for coach, but scored the all-important upgrade for a redeye flight (yay!).

However, once on the plane, she gets up to use the restroom. Upon leaving the restroom, the flight attendant stops here and makes the statement (and I quote my wife):

"She (the FA) said, 'You're not allowed to be wearing jeans in First Class. I normally remove people and reseat them in coach for this. However, I'm going to let it slide just this once, but be sure you don't wear them next time.' As we were deplaning shortly after 7:00 AM, the same FA mentioned to me 'Be sure to remember next time! No jeans!' "

I'm not sure how to react, and neither is my wife. Is this the policy? Neither of us work for US; we're just simply paying customers, so the non-rev dress code doesn't apply here.

Thoughts? Is this to be expected? Is this policy, or just an over-reaching FA?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:04 am

That's insane. The only dress code that I know of is for US employees sitting in First. You're a paying customer, you could show up with only a barrel and black straps and they should let you on the plane. I'd report that issue to Customer Service immediately.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I guess you could show up wearing shorts next time. They're not jeans, after all.

Seriously, I'm sure we could all cite examples of slovenly people on planes, but I don't think wearing jeans on a red-eye is a cardinal sin. I think the FA was out-of-bounds.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:05 am

I wear jeans in first on most of my flights and have never had a problem. I would like to know also if this is policy.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
The only scenario that makes sense to me is that the FA thought the OP's wife was a non-rev for some reason.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Perhaps the seat your wife scored was originally assigned to a non-rev and the FA was working off an old manifest.

It's absolutely not US policy to remove paying pax from F for not adhering to some sort of dress code (which does not exist). I often fly in F (on both the East and West sides), and wear jeans (although look presentable), and I've never once had a FA make a comment to me.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by par8thed
... I normally remove people and reseat them in coach for this...
This makes me think that the FA thought your wife was a non rev. Not sure why though?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:13 am

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
for all the FC flights i've taken, i've only worn sweatpants....so, yeah, something is a bit fishy here.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
This makes me think that the FA thought your wife was a non rev.
I agree -- that's the only reasonable explanation, even though making that assumption and making a statement like that to a F passenger without checking it out first is completely unreasonable.

But is the dress code rule even still in effect for non-revs?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:18 am

I can't get over the image of Steve-O sitting in First Class in a jock strap.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Plat
I frequently wear jeans in F. I suspect that she didn't want to create a scene, but did your wife happen to seek clarification by identifying herself as a revenue PAX? I strongly suspect that the FA mistook her for a non-rev. Perhaps she had an incorrect/outdated manifest or some such.

Another possible (and I'm really speculating) explanation would be she was traveling on an IATA discount. This would only happen if she booked thru an agent and obtained a discount (either intentionally or thru the agent's mistake). It is my understanding that on some carriers travel agents using an industry discount to travel in F are usually asked to abide by a dress code similar to non-revs.

Last edited by DCAorBust; Apr 9, 2007 at 11:34 am
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by DCAorBust
I frequently wear jeans in F. I suspect that you didn't want to create a scene, but did you happen to seek clarification by identifying yourself as a revenue PAX? I strongly suspect that she mistook you for a non-rev. Perhaps she had an incorrect/outdated manifest or some such.

Another possible (and I'm really speculating) explanation would be if either of you was traveling on an IATA discount. This would only happen if you booked thru an agent and obtained a discount (either intentionally or thru the agent's mistake). It is my understanding that on some carriers travel agents using an industry discount to travel in F are usually asked to abide by a dress code similar to non-revs.
Yes, it had to be one of those or a loony FA. I would have responded, had I been in that situation, by saying, "but this really isnt first class now is it?"
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: UA, AA
I'd like to see an FA try to comment on my wardrobe while I'm flying paid F.

My first comment would be something along the lines of "You just served me a wrapped up pizza and chilled red wine in a plastic glass, and I'm the one who's degrading the atmosphere here?"
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:35 am
Original Poster

The initial thought I had was that the FA was under the impression that my wife was a non-rev. My wife should definitely have requested clarification at the time, but the sleep-wake cycle of a redeye precluded it. I think she was just so taken aback by it, that it didn't occur to ask further.

Perhaps the letter that is being written will garner an offical response from US.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
My first comment would be something along the lines of "You just served me a wrapped up pizza and chilled red wine in a plastic glass, and I'm the one who's degrading the atmosphere here?"
Perhaps the post of the day, right there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.