Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Employee Handbook Online

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by jan_az
And many years ago, an AA employee was fired for their postings on FT. A DL employee also lost their job if I remember correctly
Too bad US HR is too busy focusing on staffing PHL up...plus I'm sure contract stipulations for the RTO Staff in the UK are different from stipulations here in the US.

Oh well...Warbo to be or not to be...that's the question of the hour.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ralfp
If I ever get an email from a US employee where they identify themselves as such, say at customer service in reply to a complaint, can I get them fired for that?
e-mail is not "posting comments on the Internet or on other on−line services." (although "the Internet" as an on-line service shows how much US knows about the internet)

Originally Posted by warbo
We live in democratic societies, and are entitled to express our opinions on anything, no matter who we work for. Obviously, if an employee was making improper comments the airline, or any employer, would intervene. Myself and my colleagues offer posts in order to be helpful, and provided we are impartial it is nothing to do with our employer. We don't yet live in a Big Brother state!
You're free to post as many opinions as you want. The government, per the First Amendment, won't stop you from doing anything. Your employer, on the other hand is not the government ("Congress shall make no law respecting ..."). They are well within their rights to protect their reputation and image. You can post any opinion you want. But you technically violate your employers rules by posting "I work for USAirways and I think..."

Sorry, but that's how I understand it (IANAL). See http://www.law.duke.edu/journals/dlt...6dltr0002.html for some good related material.

I'll gladly be corrected by a real lawyer....
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:29 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich
e-mail is not "posting comments on the Internet or on other on−line services." (although "the Internet" as an on-line service shows how much US knows about the internet)
You need to have a bit more imagination: Post [verb]: mail <post a letter>
An creative lawyer could probably use that...
Old Apr 3, 2007, 7:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by CPRich
You're free to post as many opinions as you want. The government, per the First Amendment, won't stop you from doing anything. Your employer, on the other hand is not the government...I'll gladly be corrected by a real lawyer....
I'm a "real lawyer" and you're right. The UK should have similar freedom of speech protections against government interference.

Warbo, continue to post at your own peril.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
A couple of examples of how free speech ONLY applies to government interference:

- Yesterday, the coach of the New York Knicks was fined $50,000 by the league because of his public criticism of the referees.

- The mods on this forum can remove our posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.