Wiki Posts
Search

E190 Ride...GREAT plane, HORRIBLE config

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2007, 3:46 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
What did you mean by Ctrl-Alt-Del?
Just like your computer (PC, don't know about Mac) - reboot.

Jim
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:12 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Was there a hot meal in First Class?
I think that the phrase 'casualty of war' is going to be applied to the concept of a meal in FC here.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by etch5895
I think that the phrase 'casualty of war' is going to be applied to the concept of a meal in FC here.

I thought US stopped serving meals on all flights??? That has been my experience

As for the mechanical delay we had....the f/a said it was that the pilots had issues with a "completed computer shutdown". Now, this is not the first flight of this plane...and it certainly isnt as old as the cr@ppy 737's us has...so what gives?

Jim--they said something about the computers being way to sensitive to the plane in front of you and the thrust from it??? Any possible info???
Old Mar 29, 2007, 5:35 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
For the first part- they should have done Buy on Board. It is not good that they have not. They promise it via the website, and also when you book a reservation, then they were obligated to sell food.

As for the second part- there are many reasons that this plane, although it could have spent the night in PHL, for a delay. Most common which come to mind. Delay due to customer service and/or boarding, delay in crews, delay due to weather, delay due to mechanical(even though nothing was announced which seems to become more and more typical with the airlines-i.e. the lack of vital communication).

...- I know exactly how you feel- you are saying What's That For @:-)
So, wonder why pax apparently weren't let in on the reason(s)? It's hardly going "above & beyond" to keep pax informed....
Old Mar 29, 2007, 5:36 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy

Jim
And when things get real despite, you use the BRS - Big Red Switch. (Gee, I'm dating myself here.)
Old Mar 29, 2007, 5:58 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
For the first part- they should have done Buy on Board. It is not good that they have not. They promise it via the website, and also when you book a reservation, then they were obligated to sell food.
Yes, they sold the Fun Box for $5. Not many takers. I didn't ~really~ pass out from hunger, I just wasn't paying attention to what was happening up front.
(Edited to add: I did see the snack basket making its way around thru F. They don't close the curtain on this plane? There definitely was a curtain.)

As for the second part- there are many reasons that this plane, although it could have spent the night in PHL, for a delay. Most common which come to mind. Delay due to customer service and/or boarding, delay in crews, delay due to weather, delay due to mechanical(even though nothing was announced which seems to become more and more typical with the airlines-i.e. the lack of vital communication).
Trust me, I know about delays in Philly. My point was...ugh...nevermind.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
And when things get real despite, you use the BRS - Big Red Switch. (Gee, I'm dating myself here.)
Also affectionately known as the "three finger salute"
Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:21 am

Jim
I've been in a cockpit 3 short times in my life. Once on a a 767-300 on LOT when I was like 6.

2nd, on a 321 once after we landed and everyone deplaned.

3rd, on a 320 on HP.

Is it QWERTY style keyboard? If so, I've never seen one.

You're BoeingBoy, so you know so much more about Boeing's then I know words in Polish, so you got me really interested on this.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Jim--they said something about the computers being way to sensitive to the plane in front of you and the thrust from it??? Any possible info???
Just word of mouth....

The angle-of-attack sensor can give rapidly changing readings because of the "jet blast" from other planes. That apparently drives the computers crazy.

Originally Posted by jimcfsus
And when things get real despite, you use the BRS - Big Red Switch.
Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
Also affectionately known as the "three finger salute"
Yup - Ctrl Alt Delete. Reboot the computers to clear the glitches. Apparently the 170's, and I assume the 190's, don't like to be without electricity. So if all power is disconnected overnight, the computers will sometimes not boot up properly in the morning. The only cure is supposedly to just power everything down and reboot the plane from scratch.

Jim
Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:37 am

I've been in a cockpit 3 short times in my life. Once on a a 767-300 on LOT when I was like 6.

3rd, on a 320 on HP.

You're BoeingBoy, so you know so much more about Boeing's then I know words in Polish, so you got me really interested on this.
Oh my.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:51 am

No - the Ctrl-Alt-Del was somewhat in jest since there's not a "traditional" computer keyboard with those keys. The FMS has a "keyboard" of sorts, although it's really a keypad and completely different from you computer keyboard. You reboot by removing electrical power from the computers - sorta like if you computer had no on/off switch so all you could do is unplug/replug the power cord.

Jim
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:07 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
The only cure is supposedly to just power everything down and reboot the plane from scratch.
Can't you just add memory and resubmit? (and now I'm dating myself )
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by bitburgr
Can't you just add memory and resubmit? (and now I'm dating myself )
The FMS/FMC retains the data from the previous flight...the only way to start fresh is by a complete system reboot. (APU on of course)
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold

3rd, on a 320 on HP.

Actually, it is a little known fact on the Airbus series of aircraft that pressing down and holding the lowest outermost two buttons on the FMC while simultaneously moving the flaps to the takeoff position will cause the plane to completely shut down and simultaneously reboot (even if in midair). You have the rest of your life to get the engines restarted and the plane back under control. Now on the Boeings, there is an entirely different sequence of controls.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by etch5895
Actually, it is a little known fact on the Airbus series of aircraft that pressing down and holding the lowest outermost two buttons on the FMC while simultaneously moving the flaps to the takeoff position will cause the plane to completely shut down and simultaneously reboot (even if in midair). You have the rest of your life to get the engines restarted and the plane back under control. Now on the Boeings, there is an entirely different sequence of controls.
Interesting Info...Can we let the terrorists know that...seriously please do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.