Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat assignment changed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Seat assignment changed

I have an upcoming award trip that I have booked in First Class. On both the Out-bound and In-bound, I selected and confirmed an aisle seat.

Inexplicably this past weekend, I found that somehow my aisle seat had been changed to a window. Anyone have any ideas how this could hapen?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Dollars to dougnuts it's a FAM.

Out of US' control.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:43 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
FAM or QIK!
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:45 am

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by hazelrah
I have an upcoming award trip that I have booked in First Class. On both the Out-bound and In-bound, I selected and confirmed an aisle seat.

Inexplicably this past weekend, I found that somehow my aisle seat had been changed to a window. Anyone have any ideas how this could hapen?
Same thing happened to me, booked last August and had my coveted 3C....day of first segment found out I had been moved to 2F. Then the debacle on March 11 came and I missed the connection altogether and ended up in 19B. I wrote to them 3 weeks ago asking for a credit of miles, no response yet.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:40 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Platinum
I also had my seat change today, for a flight I'm taking tomorrow. Mine wasn't FAM, though, at least that's what I'm guessing. I was in 3F when my upgrade cleared yesterday... but when I did OLCI today, I was moved to 3D. 3F was still open, so I moved right back to it.

For me, I think it may be because my pref lists aisle - but lately, I've wanted window seats, so that I can avoid someone crawling over me when my laptop is open and I'm hard at work in my seat. When the upgrade cleared, all the aisle seats were taken, but it looks like 3D opened up since then.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:40 pm

One thing that needs to be borne in mind is that seat assignments are merely requests. Even if seats are assigned, there may be a schedule/aircraft change which means seat assignments have to be altered. Usually, the seats assigned at time of booking are honoured, but there's no way this can be guaranteed - they may be changed/cancelled for operational reasons. No airline will guarantee that you will be in a particular seat.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
warbo -- yes, we agree with you. But there should be no reason for pax with seat assignments to find that their seats changed when there were no other changes to the flights booked. (i.e. if the flight number stayed the same, the aircraft type is the same, etc, one shouldn't be surprised to learn that the seats requested have been lost or changed.)

Admittedly, this happens rarely, but when it does, it can be very frustrating.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:11 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by warbo
One thing that needs to be borne in mind is that seat assignments are merely requests. Even if seats are assigned, there may be a schedule/aircraft change which means seat assignments have to be altered. Usually, the seats assigned at time of booking are honoured, but there's no way this can be guaranteed - they may be changed/cancelled for operational reasons. No airline will guarantee that you will be in a particular seat.
So how does this work with regards to the European LCCs like Air Berlin or TUIfly where you can 'buy' your seat assignment for a couple of Euros? I'd be a little upset if I paid extra for a seat assignment only to have it unceremoniously ripped away from me (doubtful the airline would be too worried about processing a refund, either)

Last edited by etch5895; Mar 27, 2007 at 7:58 am
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Thanks much to all who responded with all the good information. I am assuming it is FAM; I did go back into the seatmap and my formerly assiged seat had been taken.

One thing I did notice is that my profile for seating was marked "no preferrence". I did go into my profile and change this to "aisle".

Last edited by hazelrah; Mar 27, 2007 at 7:02 am Reason: completeness
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: US Chairmans, Air Tran Elite, NWA Silver, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Gold
One thing that can affect seat assignments (I just recently found this out) is how your reservation is booked. In many cases a travel agent, corporate travel dept, etc. has "seating requests" that get entered into most airline reservations they created. As a result, even though you might select a specific seat, the system does a sweep and when it sees the seating request from the travel agent, it in many cases will change your seat assignment. Most of my travel is booked via a corp travel dept and I seemed to have this problem fairly often on most airlines. Nobody was able to tell me why, until a UA reservation agent looked into the problem and explained to me what was going on. Now I know to call my corp travel dept and have them delete out any seating requests. The problem hasnt occured since.

This may not be the reason for why your problem occured, but its a possibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.