Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade chances PHL - ORD...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Upgrade chances PHL - ORD...

I am sure this is pretty big US route for the business types I just wanted know how good of a shot a Gold has to an upgrade on a mid morning flight.

Going to Green Bay and ORD is only 59 bucks out of RIC and drive the rest of the way. If upgrades are bad I will just use my miles and fly UA straight into GB.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
You expect an upgrade on a $59.00 flight, what are you, NUTS?

I get it all the thime on a full Y fare (about 10 x the amount you are paying)

I would say you chances are slim to none. Except this is the new USAirways where they reward everybody execpt the full fae Chairmans.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:21 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
As a Gold, you probably have an ok chance at it. Doesn't matter that you paid $59. But if you had paid a full Y fare, then you could upgrade at the time of booking. Not really worth it, considering.....
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
65-70% odds. But, its a short-ish flight. The $59 fare far exceeds the value of first class on PHL-ORD.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:34 pm

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
I dont think I have ever got an upgrade on that route. Is that a 737?
When are you flying? You might have a better chance if it's midweek or on a Saturday.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 6:27 am

I always get my ORD-PHL-ORD flights, as a Gold.

Most of my flights ORD-PHL is US982 at 7:05PM. Been on that flight so many times, and almost always clear the Upgrade Q. Dad, as Silver, now Gold cleared once in advance, but the other time was at airport. Mom, now also a clears well on the flight.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:40 am
Original Poster

I would be leaving RIC on a Thursday on a 8am flight and then leaving ORD to come back on a Wednesday on a 6pm flight. I do ask because I just had back surgery in January and can deal with coach seats but a F seat would naturally be better.

I thank Jet Blue and United for the super low RIC to ORD fares!

Still may just use 50,000 miles for 2 of us to fly UA straight to GB to avoid the drive and the super high rental rates out of ORD.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:43 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I always get my ORD-PHL-ORD flights, as a Gold.
Of course, this is heavily day-dependent. On a Thursday or a Friday, fuhgeddabboutit unless you're lucky. Essentially as long as you aren't going WITH the hub based traffic you'll likely be OK.

Of course, that assumes that the "system" does what it should and not what it actually does, but I digress.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 6:28 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Platinum
I'd say it's gotta be day dependant, fare dependant, and time of day dependant. I've flown this route a number of times in the past few years, and have had terrible luck on it. I was 0/4 as CP last year on it (21/21 on all my other routes where first class existed).
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Of course your experience is more realistic. You actually fly the routes you claim.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Of course your experience is more realistic. You actually fly the routes you claim.
What exactly do you mean by that?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Well from what I had seen I will just use 50K miles and get 2 of us right into GRB. If i am gonna be coach, might as well just get where I am going and avoid the 5 hour drive.

How is UA on UG's on award tickets from DM miles? Can you pay for the 500 mile upgrade on awards?

Also are they gonna make me do the two connect to be on US for two flights RIC to CLT/PHL/PIT to ORD and then UA from ORD to GRB? Or will they just let me fly UA RIC to ORD to GRB?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
What exactly do you mean by that?
That I can do math. Really basic math, like addition.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
How is UA on UG's on award tickets from DM miles? Can you pay for the 500 mile upgrade on awards?

Also are they gonna make me do the two connect to be on US for two flights RIC to CLT/PHL/PIT to ORD and then UA from ORD to GRB? Or will they just let me fly UA RIC to ORD to GRB?
Routing depends on award availability, but for the upgrade you'll be nearly certain not to get upgraded on a UA flight as a US elite on a US award. It's probably happened before, but is quite unlikely.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
Can you pay for the 500 mile upgrade on awards?
No, but you might be offered an "upsell" on UA for E+ or F on an award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.