Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Caribbean Destination would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler
Which Caribbean Destination would you choose?

I've the unique opportunity to choose any Caribbean destination for a long weekend getaway. The requirements?

* Must be serviced by US Airways.
* Culture. I want to feel as if I've really left the US
* Tranquility and beauty.
* Must have Thursday-Friday/Sunday-Monday service in mid April

Right now, I'm set to travel to STT and stay at the Marriott Frenchman Reef but am convinced that I'll feel as if I'm stuck in a tourist trap.

Also, it looks as if SXM, STT, SJU and AUA are the only destinations that would fit the above schedule. From what I've read, SJU and AUA might be a bit too busy for me leaving SXM and STT as my only choices?

Last edited by Nado; Mar 23, 2007 at 5:00 am
Old Mar 23, 2007, 5:05 am

Programs: SPG Plat, BA Gold
What I would suggest is St. John. It is only a 35 min. ferry ride away from St. Thomas and is much quieter. I recently stayed at the Westin St. John resort and it was a wonderful experience. I see you are SPG gold so if you have some points to burn you could use them there. They allow SPG 50 rates.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 6:15 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
The French side of SXM will fit most of these requirements. Look into the La Samanna
Old Mar 23, 2007, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
Having been to Aruba, Cancun, Jamaica, Nassau, Eleuthra, St Thomas and St Kitts on free US tickets, I would recommend you either go to St Kitts or fly to St Thomas and take the ferry or seaplane to St John. St Thomas is OK if you like shopping but it is way too crowded and tourista for me due to the hoards of cruise ship passengers that descend on the island. St John is quieter and has very beautiful beaches but still has lots of places to eat. Aruba has gotten way too developed for me. My son caught amoebic dysentery in Cancun and was sick for a month, I will never go back there. Nassau is spring-break tacky, crowded and unfriendly. Eleuthra was nice, great snorkeling but very remote and very few places to eat. I wouldn't go there for more than a long weekend. The Marriott in St Kitts was great, great pool and restaurants, lots of outside places to eat and lots of things to do on the island. If you go to St Kitts be sure to visit the Brimstone Hill fortress, very cool. The only drawbacks to St Kitts are 1. It is very expensive, and 2. The beach at the Marriott drops off very steeply into 10+ foot deep water. Not a problem for me, but if you have small kids you may want to stay by the pool.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
SXM. Absolutely no contest. Not even close.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:27 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
SXM, but stay away from Philipsburg proper if a cruise ship is in. Marigot is pretty, and offers good European style shopping.

And of course, the Sunset Beach bar never fails to please...
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Platinum
I would suggest going to SXM and hopping a little puddle jumper over to St. Barths. Much less crowded and a world away from sometimes crowded SXM.
However, if you stay on SXM, I would suggest spending time at either Friars Bay or Happy Bay, as they are very low key and relaxing. And also eat at the open-air bbq's on Grand Case.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:02 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Looks like you have lots of good sugguestions. The only thing I will say is AVOID SJU. While I was only there 2 days what I saw was dirty & crowded. Although I did enjoy "ole San Juan".
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!

It sounds as if SXM might be the way to go and I may even do this "puddle jump" (love that phrase) to St Barths. (Is there a difference between St Barths and St Barts? Have seen both here and there)

Anyway, have narrowed down the choices to STT/STJ and SXM. Will continue to research and see what reasonably-priced lodging options there are. Presently have the Frenchman's Reef on STT for $270/night which is much lower than the Ritz's ridiculous $869/rate. But the reviews I've read aren't convincing.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:26 am

I'm going to St. Kitts in about 10 days. Marriott as always. I think the culture there is great.

As for places I've been, I'd go with Aruba! Cozumel is great for Scuba/Snorkel. I liked my stay in La Romana in the Dominican Republic, but you will have to fly into PUJ, and drive for about 1 hour West. But ya... got for Aruba. Nice long flight too. About 4:30 hours from BOS.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:29 am
Original Poster

La Samanna is $1600/night!?!? A bit outside of my budget. Sigh.

Originally Posted by RMINIONE
The French side of SXM will fit most of these requirements. Look into the La Samanna
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Nado
La Samanna is $1600/night!?!? A bit outside of my budget. Sigh.

The rates drop quite a bit as you get closer to summer. In July I'm getting $450 a night for a one bedroom suite there.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
I am in agreement with others...definitely go for SXM! I'm not much into Phillipsburg myself, but there is so much beyond that. I prefer staying around Marigot or Grand Cas. But when we do our week-longs there, we rent a home in P-Burg and get a cheapy rental car to drive all around to Orient Beach, Sunset Beach Bar, etc.: http://www.vistaroyale.com
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'll agree with the St. Kitts and St. Johns suggestions.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
I would fly to AUA and then fly either divi divi, insel air or dutch antillean express to CUR or BON. you may be able to get AUA-CUR for 100-150 USD

you could go to st eustatius from SXM as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.