Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving with empty F seats and preferred members in the back

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2007, 2:49 pm

if this happens to you ....

i would email Travis Christ - the Marketing VP - he loves sending us nonsense telling us how great things are and how we are being "enhanced" - let him deal with all the complaints .....
Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:19 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
On short flights (like my BOS-LGA last night) this really isn't a big deal. On very long flights like transcons, this is a BIG deal.

The GA should come on the plane and pull people up front when they do their final counts. If I ever find myself on a PHL-SFO run sitting in the back with an FA that refuses to let me sit in clearly empty F seat I will throw the biggest fit .... wow ..... It hurts to even think about.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Like most of you, I'm pretty aware of what goes on at the gate, and can read GA's pretty well. I can pretty much tell how far away we are from boarding once I see the paperwork go down the jetway. I also have a sense for when they are clearing the list at the gate. And 9 times out of 10 when I see empty seats in F...is when I saw the GA too busy chatting with other GA's or rampers and they made no effort to clear the damn list.

The way I have found to tell if I'm being lied to at the gate when I ask for an upgrade, is to ask how many are in front of me and how many in F have checked in. If I hear a lot of typing going on, I know they are looking for the truthful answer and were full of it to begin with.

Flame at will...but I blame this issue on the GA's. There are good ones out there who follow the rules to a tee. And then there are ones that have no interest in clearing that standby list because they hate you or their job...they just can't figure out which they hate more. Once you are on that plane and it's fully loaded..."oh...we're already late and need to get going...sorry".
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Slightly off topic, but is the "First Has Checked In Full" sign over the gate a deterrent for elites dancing for upgrades? I've been cleared at the gate on more than one occasion when the dreaded sign is lit up! I wonder if the GA's turn on the sign if they know the list is longer than the number of open seats.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Granted there will be times it does check-in full and you still clear because 10 minutes before close-out somebody didn't show up. I guess what I often wonder is do some just turn it on to keep people from asking?? From how I've seen some treat pax, I'm pretty convinced this is the case sometimes...
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by fishintheobx
Granted there will be times it does check-in full and you still clear because 10 minutes before close-out somebody didn't show up. I guess what I often wonder is do some just turn it on to keep people from asking?? From how I've seen some treat pax, I'm pretty convinced this is the case sometimes...
In Irrops...I was delayed in DCA and missed my connection at CLT, so US re booked me on the last flight out of CLT to PBI, I get to the gate...am told F is full but the kind agent adds me to the wait list and tells me I am #1...15 mins before boarding starts she comes over and asks me to help her with the Departure Management and we notice I went from #1 to #5 and 4 Golds/Silvers were ahead of me...So we took a closer look(I am a Plat)...Apparently other mis connects added from the special services desk was not paying attention so she kindly redid the whole list and then asked me to take a look at some */FARB error. I told her she would have to "rebook" the pax in the same class of service which was F...That made me #2 on the waitlist oh well

During Zone 1 Boarding, she points at me and I walk over and I get a huge grin and seat # 5A...the downside was...I sat next to a Christian Evangelist...I have nothing against Evangelists but when I ve had a long day I was not in a chatty mood yet he talked the whole damn flight about Jesus and the Raptures coming...
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:17 pm

You should have put him to good use and had him pray for US and it's FF'ers. We need all the help we can get...
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by fishintheobx
You should have put him to good use and had him pray for US and it's FF'ers. We need all the help we can get...
*laughs*

Good one

He did tell me he is also a Professional Christian Guitarist, gave me one of his albums...kinda creepy but uhh...at any rate I will be listing it on e-bay for -$1.00 Oh...he already knew that I was deaf...so why does someone give a deaf guy some music...sure I can hear a little bit and feel the beats but...come on...common sense folks

He also was on a full F fare BNA-CLT-PBI ticket.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: US Airways Platinum
usa18dca,

I thought you worked for US? how would you be a Plat at the same time? Or do you work for Mesa, but wouldn't that still get you free travel on US? just a little confused
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by USEast1
usa18dca,

I thought you worked for US? how would you be a Plat at the same time? Or do you work for Mesa, but wouldn't that still get you free travel on US? just a little confused
No problem, I have been asked this tons of times...

I interned at Mesa Airlines at IAD under United Express from January to March 5th. During that time I had NRSA (SA5) Privileges, so I flew for free on Mesa operated flights however on United Mainline I paid the Travel Enhanced Rates for employees (still space available). Unless I was required to go to other cities for legitimate business reasons I would be given Space positive (Protected like a Revenue Ticket) and is a "Must Ride" so I won't be bumped.

Occasionally when the fares are low between DCA/PBI I will fly on US home to keep my Platinum Preferred status going like a good FTer Plus the commute from my old apartment in DC is much better to DCA than IAD and I personally deplore traveling on US' cousin in marriage TED.

Now that my internship is done, I am not flying for free anymore but I do have to my advantages the knowledge of what any US/USX employee can procure.

I am currently have job interviews pending with Mesa Airlines, Skywest Airlines, Virgin America, and Trans States Airlines for another and last Internship or a Customer Service Agent job...so heres to the Airline industry and I am always willing to help out with information and advice anytime anyone asks.

Ryan
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by usa18dca
No problem, I have been asked this tons of times...

I interned at Mesa Airlines at IAD under United Express from January to March 5th. During that time I had NRSA (SA5) Privileges, so I flew for free on Mesa operated flights however on United Mainline I paid the Travel Enhanced Rates for employees (still space available). Unless I was required to go to other cities for legitimate business reasons I would be given Space positive (Protected like a Revenue Ticket) and is a "Must Ride" so I won't be bumped.

Occasionally when the fares are low between DCA/PBI I will fly on US home to keep my Platinum Preferred status going like a good FTer Plus the commute from my old apartment in DC is much better to DCA than IAD and I personally deplore traveling on US' cousin in marriage TED.

Now that my internship is done, I am not flying for free anymore but I do have to my advantages the knowledge of what any US/USX employee can procure.

I am currently have job interviews pending with Mesa Airlines, Skywest Airlines, Virgin America, and Trans States Airlines for another and last Internship or a Customer Service Agent job...so heres to the Airline industry and I am always willing to help out with information and advice anytime anyone asks.

Ryan

Ryan:
I wish you the best in all of this. Please keep us posted. And just to add a note here I've had the pleasure of meeting Ryan & he is one of the finest young men any one could know.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Ryan:
I wish you the best in all of this. Please keep us posted. And just to add a note here I've had the pleasure of meeting Ryan & he is one of the finest young men any one could know.
Thanks Paul, you are one of the most dedicated US employees...its the reason I stick with you guys through the hard times because of Piedmont & Allegheny
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:46 pm

Wink why is it that ff of any airline think they are better

After reading several hundreds of replies on this and other boards, I am constantly shocked at how FF's think that they own any airline that they choose, or rather which airline their employer purchases a ticket for them on! If having a first class ticket is SO important to you that it causes you so much pain and sufferring, then either buy a F class ticket or pay the differrence on what your employer paid for the ticket to upgrade prior to getting to the gate or aircraft. that is the only way one can be guaranteed a F class seat people! Why is that FF's expect so much, you dont get any special treatment at restaurants or petrol stations for being a frequent customer do you?????? are there special pumps just for you????? no waiting???? your own personal table assigned just waiting for you when you CHOOSE to eat at the particular restaurant are there? Do you have your own waiter???? special chair and seatiing preference guaranteed??? does your home telephone company ensure that you get to make calls first before others do?????? Where does this come from???? I believe it stems from Americans becoming to spoiled and the unfortunate practice of rewarding people for bad behavior!!!!!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:19 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by nowhiningplease
After reading several hundreds of replies on this and other boards, I am constantly shocked at how FF's think that they own any airline that they choose, or rather which airline their employer purchases a ticket for them on! If having a first class ticket is SO important to you that it causes you so much pain and sufferring, then either buy a F class ticket or pay the differrence on what your employer paid for the ticket to upgrade prior to getting to the gate or aircraft. that is the only way one can be guaranteed a F class seat people! Why is that FF's expect so much, you dont get any special treatment at restaurants or petrol stations for being a frequent customer do you?????? are there special pumps just for you????? no waiting???? your own personal table assigned just waiting for you when you CHOOSE to eat at the particular restaurant are there? Do you have your own waiter???? special chair and seatiing preference guaranteed??? does your home telephone company ensure that you get to make calls first before others do?????? Where does this come from???? I believe it stems from Americans becoming to spoiled and the unfortunate practice of rewarding people for bad behavior!!!!!
Welcome to Flyertalk, DP... or is it Travis or another from the SandCastle.

Now get yourself another Bud Light and go back to watching the Tarholes lose.

In other words, you just don't get it. We get to be elites (most of us, that is) by giving the airline a substantial level of business. For that, we've been rewarded with perks to keep giving more. Tempe doesn't see that, and only rewards if you've been with them this very minute, not yesterday, not 20 years ago... and they've cut the incentives, don't follow the rules, make promises they haven't keep and then above that, treat customers worse than the proverbial cockroach that BBB is responsible for creating 4 years ago . THAT, in a nutshell, is the problem.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Welcome to Flyer Talk!

I purchase my own tickets with my own money. I am not a business traveler, although there are many on this forum. I think you will find that there are a variety of flyers found here, so please do not group us together as one or stereotype us.

I believe the thrust of this particular thread is that the US Preferred level flyers just want US to follow their own upgrade policy and receive what they have earned. The upgrade policy be found at this address: http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...ades.aspx#auto

You can also read more about US Airways Preferred benefits at the following address: http://www.usairways.com/awa/content.../benefits.aspx

I guess we may be "spoiled" but the "first class, business class, coach, economy" business model of airlines is not limited to American airlines. As far as I know, most of the world's airlines offer certain incentives and perks to their most frequent flyers, their primary sources of consistent revenue. Benefits like upgrades are supposed to be rewards for our loyalty and patronage. That is why we have the expectations that we have. We only want what we have earned, according to company policy.

Last edited by me4yankees; Mar 25, 2007 at 4:23 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.