Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite US Cities

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Favorite US Cities

I figured this board needed some more relaxation and somber experiences

List your three favorite destination cities and why!

Rules...
1. No Hubs/Focus Cities
2. No Bickering
3. KISS (Keep it Simple and Sweet)

I shall start...

1. Fresno-Yosemite
Yosemite is one of my favourite destinations to relax at and take in the inspiration of what Mother Nature created over the eons of years...Waterfalls are my things!

2. San Francisco
Theres just something about that Bay Approach over the SF Bay to land on Runway 28s! The city skyline is also very beautiful and dazzling in the sunset.

3. Shannon, Ireland
Nothing like the coastline of Ireland after a long transatlantic flight to welcome you with the emerald green coastlines and the booze to boot
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
1. Paris, ma ville préferée du monde! Le vin, le fromage, le pain français, les jardins et les parcs, la tour Eiffel, le musée d'Orsay, le Louvre! C'est magnifique!

2. Montréal, quand je ne peux pas aller en France! J'aime le Peel Pub, le centre Eaton, la rue Ste. Catherine, et le port du vieux Montréal.

3. New York - my forum user name says it all, right!? Love the Yankees, Macy's, riding the free Staten Island ferry, Soho, all sorts of different restaurants and cuisines, City Island in the Bronx...plus my sig other is there...my reason for flying US!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by usa18dca
I figured this board needed some more relaxation and somber experiences

List your three favorite destination cities and why!

Rules...
1. No Hubs/Focus Cities
2. No Bickering
3. KISS (Keep it Simple and Sweet)

I shall start...

2. San Francisco
Theres just something about that Bay Approach over the SF Bay to land on Runway 28s! The city skyline is also very beautiful and dazzling in the sunset.
SFO is a hub for UA! It will be a focus city for the recently approved Virgin America. OAK, an airport that serves San Francisco, is a hub for Southwest.

Answer #2: rejected.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Cities, only? And no hubs or focus cities?
So cities like SEA, SFO, HNL are out. ORD is disqualified.

This is no fun! It's like you're asking, "what's a nice US city with poor air service?"

Maybe, I nominate Colorado Springs or Portland, OR.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
HVN

Closest airport to my wife and kids and a short ride to my bed.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Reason #2 is so people can laugh at the smart aleck comments we FTers can muster up...I'm already laughing
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Platinum
MUC- Beautiful views of the Alps during takeoff and landing. Plus the airport train takes you straight to the city center without any transfers. Efficient and friendly German service. A perfect weekend trip!

BCN-The approach allows for a slow, sweeping base turn out over the water that is absolutely amazing, so can see the people laying on the beach sunbathing.

BHM- my hometown, but it is hard to beat an airport where your family can actually stop the car and walk inside with you for a minute without being hassled. Also, checkin to gate takes about 10 minutes. Baggage in under 10 minutes also.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:27 am

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
1. Santa Fe (serviced by UA) - amazing food, hiking, roadtrips, mountain bikikng plus free lodging at my sister's house!

2. Portland, ME - love the Maine coastline, the fresh lobster is reason enough to visit.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, AA
SCE, but that should be obvious from my handle.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
ART and LEB. I shouldn't have to explain.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:00 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
1. New Orleans -- amazing city for many reasons; less than 3 hours in the air from home so a long-weekend getaway is easy; the approach at night is breathtaking and somber. You can see lights and life all the way to the horizon, but big pockets here and there of nothing, just darkness, or lone street lights and no cars or houses. It makes me feel both sad and alive every time I land at post-Katrina MSY. I feel sorry for the city, and I feel glad to be back, and I always have a fantastic time, doesn't matter if it is work travel or personal--- just seeing those still-dead chunks of the city makes me determined to spend money, do my part for their economy, and enjoy NOLA while it's still there.

2. Las Vegas-- not sure if this counts as a focus city or a hub or neither but it's the best nighttime approach anywhere. Miles and miles of dark, empty desert, then come up over that little hill on your approach and there's 10,000 megawatts of electricity and cheesy touristy goodness. And it's impossible for me not to have a good time in Vegas, no matter the reason for the trip.

3. Washington National. My hometown, and my preferred airport. The approach to National, especially from the South, is just pretty. I love flying along the Potomac and looking at the bicycle riders and boats and trees. And I love watching the reactions of those who have never landed at National--- lots of airport approaches are over water but for some reason, National freaks people out, like we're really going straight into the water. Coming home from Atlanta once in an ERJ, I overheard the couple across the aisle from me mentioning Air Florida and the 14th Street Bridge, and not in a "just making conversation" way! Anyway, I am always happy to take that approach to DCA because that means I'm coming home. I never get that "welcome home" feeling landing at IAD or BWI but at DCA, it just feels like home.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:18 am

1. Paris without question is my favorite. It's in my blood. It's the ambience and all of those cafe chairs.

2. New York City -I love the energy. You can get anything you want and do anything you want 24/7 . Azerbaijani food can be had at 2AM plus it's close to where I live and an easy drive.

3.Santa Fe - I'm not sure why I like Santa Fe so much. It just feels good to be there.

Bobette
Old Mar 21, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
1) I am partial to AVP, since it's my hometown.

2) I am also partial to LAX, since it's my current home.

3) I guess BOS (where I went to school) doesn't really count, because it's a "focus city." (Is it?) I guess #3 would have to be GSO, where I made some good memories...
Old Mar 21, 2007, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by SS255
1) I am partial to AVP, since it's my hometown.

AVP is my hometown too. While I don't love the area I do love our little airport. It's very user friendly.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 2:31 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
SFO and LAS are the two cities I've spent more time in than any other for business/shows. So, since those are out...

1. SJC, since we can't use SFO in this. I love spending time in Silicon Valley (hey, I'm a geek) and in Chinatown in SF. Frys is nerdvana.

2. SAN. I love Rubio's fish tacos... which I can get in LAS or DEN now.

3. TPA. Spent many years in my past life during Spring Break at Spring Training, so flew in/out of TPA to do that.

Honorable mention: MSP. Dated a gal for 18 months from there in the mid 90s. US folks are especially nice there (unless you're a muslim I hear ) Shopping at MOA is a huge plus... as are good restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.