Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite US Cities

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:50 pm

Hmmmm. Interesting question.

Lets see here...

1) PSP- Sunny and warm year round. Nice, smaller city with great, fancy resorts. The US Express/Mesa folks are really nice there. Food is good too, and shopping for the ladies!

2) AUA- Probably one of my favorite Carib destination in the world.

3) FLL-Cheap fares and big US planes to this less expensive gateway to Florida's most exclusive area of South Beach in Miami and West Palm Beach/Palm Beach Shores. Man.... I miss the days of the US Focus City at FLL!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:12 pm

I'd say (in no particular order):

FCO -- (since we're voting on cities, not airports) Lived in Rome for awhile, and it is, by far, my favorite city. Although not in love with the airport, I love initial descent out over the Mediterranean -- means I'm that much closer to my first cornetto e cappuccino!

DCA -- I love checking on my house when approaching from the south. I agree w/ the earlier poster about first time DCA-ers who are shocked about how close we get to the monuments.

LGA -- Nothing is quite as cool as flying into New York.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Hmmmm. Interesting question.

Lets see here...

1) PSP- Sunny and warm year round. Nice, smaller city with great, fancy resorts. The US Express/Mesa folks are really nice there. Food is good too, and shopping for the ladies!

2) AUA- Probably one of my favorite Carib destination in the world.

3) FLL-Cheap fares and big US planes to this less expensive gateway to Florida's most exclusive area of South Beach in Miami and West Palm Beach/Palm Beach Shores. Man.... I miss the days of the US Focus City at FLL!
Ironically PSP is the WORST operation in the Mesa system for USX It's an awesome place though...I love the Desert and beautiful breathtaking scenery although its not warm...its scorching man.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
SAN - Awesome approach, perfect weather and beautiful scenery!!!

AUA - Best Caribbean island (IMO)
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by usa18dca
Ironically PSP is the WORST operation in the Mesa system for USX It's an awesome place though...I love the Desert and beautiful breathtaking scenery although its not warm...its scorching man.
Is there are reason it is the worst operation for Mesa? I found it to be great both inbound and outbound. Bags were certainly out quickly and all the staff was real nice.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:31 pm

Programs: American Gold; SW A list; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Smile LAS, and other s

2. Las Vegas-- not sure if this counts as a focus city or a hub or neither but it's the best nighttime approach anywhere. Miles and miles of dark, empty desert, then come up over that little hill on your approach and there's 10,000 megawatts of electricity and cheesy touristy goodness. And it's impossible for me not to have a good time in Vegas, no matter the reason for the trip.

Agree that LAS is a great approach (or departure, again at night) visually-- and not just because it is what I see the most. Described perfectly in quote, and any layover/stop can bring $$$$ to any passenger or crew member (slots 10 feet from the jet way-- or a sudden minus of $$$....it's all luck) LAS consistently comes out on top of varied airport polls for things to do and see (albeit beyond security...) from exercise (fitness center) to the very nice (albeit small) US Airways club. And I like because the plane lands and, usually, 30 minutes later I'm home....

Also really like CMH (gee, no votes here so far.. .wonder why...) it's smallish, easy to get in and out, and Wendy's (based in CMH) serves breakfast for us early out and about folks!!! (test for a national rollout--do try the 99 cent egg burrito--really)... And with Bath and Body Works also having its national HQ in CMH, you can find some extraordinary deals, and over the top polite sales people, in the CMH airport shop.Also a Brooks Bros there. Finally, I have never found that the airport was out of the NY Times! All told, it's a really Midwestern experience, and when the east, or west, has weather issues, often CMH is off and rolling to the sky!!!
Old Mar 22, 2007, 6:56 am

LAS: coming in from the east, flying over the Grand Canyon, then Lake Mead, craning your neck for a glimpse of Hoover Dam is always fun. At night the lights are amazing...the anticipation as you taxi to the gate gets my adrenalin pumping, even if I am there for work. On departure, I like to look down at the strip and think about how much cash I'm looking at.

J'aime Paris et Montreal aussi.

DUB is a place I'd like to return and spend more leisure time there..was there for work and had a great time the night before my flight with an old friend, but I'd like to go there and be able to relax and see sights. It might be a placebo effect but the Guinness did taste better there!
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: AA-EP, SPG-Plat, MR-Gold, Hertz 5*
ACK: Nothing but ocean around with the cape in the distance and then all of a sudden you land on the island (which comes out of nowhere) before you know it (and the plane is so small, you really feel like your flying!).

LGA: Home for me and plus there is nothing like checking out the skyline on the way in!

DCA: great views of the capitol all around.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
MDT - Brand new airport facility, not crowded at all, decent connections with major hubs. Only drawback is too many RJ routes now. Hard to argue with 10 minutes through security though ^

MSY - Love the approach over Lake Ponchatrain, although they could use to upgrade/update the terminal facility itself.

LAS - Can't argue with the view out the window.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by b1513
AVP is my hometown too. While I don't love the area I do love our little airport. It's very user friendly.
Yes...the new airport is far too nice for "all RJ service." It's just screaming for a real jet. I fondly recall the days when US had mainline service to PIT and PHL...not to mention mainline service on EA to DCA and ATL.

And I didn't start appreciating the area until I moved to smog-ridden Los Angeles.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:15 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Of the places I've been.
Maui-Most beautiful beaches I've seen. Although I'm sure there are better.
Miami-My former home town lots of beaches(love the beach) any kind of night life you wish.
Boston-Nothing like a trip to BOS for clam chowder. Before things got like they were it was nothing for me to take a trip to BOS just for the chowder. Also enjoyed my one class at Harvard.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I would ad, thanks to the op for starting this one. I've enjoyed reading everyones posts.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
I would ad, thanks to the op for starting this one. I've enjoyed reading everyones posts.
My pleasure...I want to bring humanity back to US ...No more of the bollocks going on around here

I would also venture to say that the best US city I have ever flown in and been treated like a real customer was Pittsburgh...god bless the Piedmont & Allegheny Folks
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by usa18dca
My pleasure...I want to bring humanity back to US ...No more of the bollocks going on around here

I would also venture to say that the best US city I have ever flown in and been treated like a real customer was Pittsburgh...god bless the Piedmont & Allegheny Folks
Great thread, and yes the PIT folks are great. The ladies at the Club are very professional and friendly.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:21 pm

ISP...where I grew up, and on approach from the south I can see where I worked as a teen/college student on the Great South Bay and Fire Island, which just looks like a glorified sand bar from the air.

DCA...just so neat to feel like you can "reach out and touch someone"...namely anyone immortalized in a monument.

PHL...only when I'm leaving and off the ground, wow, is that a good feeling!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.