Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
UPDATE: US fliers and mac users

Going to take until M ay to get a fix for the Safari browser

Mac users not apple of US Airways system’s eye
Donna Hogan, Tribune

Soon, US Airways passengers will be able to book reservations to Singapore, the company said Wednesday. But if you use an Apple computer, you still won’t be able to check in for the flights.

The glitch that felled checkin kiosks in several East Coast hubs after the March 4 integration of the US Airways and America West airlines reservations systems is mostly fixed, said Joe Beery, US Airways’ chief information officer.

But it is still plaguing most Mac users and likely will continue to do so, at least until June, Beery said.

The new reservations system is designed to work with the Microsoft browser on PCs, he said, but a fix for Macs is in the works.

Other than that and a few other smaller software snafus, the kiosk-killing quirk has been resolved and almost all of the messed-up reservations records have been fixed, Beery said.

Meanwhile US Airways president Scott Kirby announced Wednesday that the company has signed a codeshare agreement with Singapore Airlines.

That means US Airways passengers from Phoenix or Las Vegas will be able to book tickets to Asia through the West Coast, and Singapore Airlines passengers will be able to book connections straight through to Phoenix. East Coast passengers can do the same, connecting in New York.

US Airways passengers can start booking flights to Asia in May for travel beginning in June.

Meanwhile, the Tempebased carrier is still hoping to land its own flights in China. US Airways has applied to the government for rights to a China route from Philadelphia and has begun looking for airplanes to fly that route.

If the company does buy longer-range planes, that could boost the possibility of getting overseas flights from Phoenix within a couple of years.

US Airways CEO Doug Parker has said overseas flights from Phoenix are on the back burner because the company doesn’t have planes that can fly that far.

“If we get (the China route), we might have to readdress that issue,” Parker said Wednesday.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:18 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
These statements are bull:

The glitch that felled checkin kiosks in several East Coast hubs after the March 4 integration of the US Airways and America West airlines reservations systems is mostly fixed, said Joe Beery, US Airways’ chief information officer.

Other than that and a few other smaller software snafus, the kiosk-killing quirk has been resolved and almost all of the messed-up reservations records have been fixed, Beery said.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:51 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by USFreak
Going to take until M ay to get a fix for the Safari browser

Mac users not apple of US Airways system’s eye
Donna Hogan, Tribune

Soon, US Airways passengers will be able to book reservations to Singapore, the company said Wednesday. But if you use an Apple computer, you still won’t be able to check in for the flights.

OK fellow mac users. Have any of you been able to do OLCI with Firefox in the last month or so?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Nope.....I don't even bother with it anymore...I just grace my presence with a TA.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by USFreak
Nope.....I don't even bother with it anymore...I just grace my presence with a TA.
Wow. I didn't know. That sucks for us.

I guess in the meantime I can call a friend who has a PC to check me in at 23:59 before my next flight!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Wow. I didn't know. That sucks for us.

I guess in the meantime I can call a friend who has a PC to check me in at 23:59 before my next flight!
Why not just download Firefox?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Firefox doesn't work much better than Safari on Macs.

I've *never* been able to book an itinerary, print a boarding pass or make a change to an itinerary using US's web site on my Mac on either Safari or Firefox.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
How many major businesses fail to maintain browser compatability? Or jerk it away after you've lured customers to your website?

I still cannot get Safari, Netscape, Opera, or Firefox to work with usairways.com. But they all work fine with aa.com ual.com and southwest.com.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:50 pm

I used Camino to do OLCI last Saturday. It evidently checked me in (at 8 pm for a 6:30 flight the next day) but wouldn't print a boarding pass because it was 5 pm in Phoenix and thus outside of the 24-hour window for my flight.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:52 pm
In memoriam

Programs: United
Originally Posted by tommyleo
OK fellow mac users. Have any of you been able to do OLCI with Firefox in the last month or so?
This morning. Although I told Tech Support that I'd switch airlines before I'd switch browsers, I reluctantly downloaded Firefox onto my iMac. The boarding passes don't look like the former ones - no borders and smaller font, but I'm hoping they get me on the plane.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:16 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by FrequentHopper
Firefox doesn't work much better than Safari on Macs.

I've *never* been able to book an itinerary, print a boarding pass or make a change to an itinerary using US's web site on my Mac on either Safari or Firefox.
I've had some Firefox success, but haven't tried OLCI.

How moronic is it that they couldn't come up with a system that automatically eliminates 5% of their customers from checking in?

I'm working off your average demographics, of which the airline traveling public is not.. since they tend to be skewed toward more technology and higher incomes.

Note to self.. SWA seems to know how to make it work.. I was able to book a flight on my mac and also one on air tran for relatives to my wedding...
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
It's more than 5% of customers. Mac users tend to be more affluent and more travel-friendly, and over 10% of all laptops sold are Apple machines. Guess which machines road warriors carry with us? Laptops!

Compare USAirways.com to Delta.com.

Delta "gracefully degrades" and allows you to use their web site not only with every major platform (and minor platform -- Delta.com even renders on my old Amiga running AWeb!), it even works on cell phones. Accessing Delta.com on my Treo or my friend's LG cell phone allows me to check itinineraries, book travel either paid or award travel, and interact with my account.

US has absolutely no excuse for the state of its web site today. TWA's web site in 1999 was miles ahead in functionality, compatibility and usability, and TWA certainly didn't have the cash that US has.

When I was a US Gold (I guess I still am, actually), I'd suck it up and call in and wait and pay the $5 booking fee. But I'm through with that. These days, I want to be able to quickly and easily book online, with my work computer, to buy travel for my work.

Delta helps me do that easily. US doesn't. Guess who has gotten my last three itineraries as a result?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.