Wiki Posts
Search

Leno: A380 and US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Leno: A380 and US Airways

"This plane will allow US Airways to strand a record number of people on a single flight!"
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
LOL! I just saw that a few minutes ago.

"The A380 will carry 550 pax, or seven fat-a$$ americans"

He also slammed B6 again.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Ouch, that has to sting.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:02 am

Programs: AA Gold
As LCC US will have 800 sitting on the runway. And just imagine what the jetway in BWI will smell like after bad weather diversion.....
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:10 am

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Didn't you all hear?

US is ordering the 380. The configuration will be 8 Envoy and 2,346 coach.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Art234
Didn't you all hear?

US is ordering the 380. The configuration will be 8 Envoy and 2,346 coach.
LOL - then they'll remove 4 envoy from half the planes, making it impossible to know which configuration you're going to get on any flight.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Seriously if weather threatens lets shut down the WHOLE ENTIRE Airline everytime. Lets try to get no one home, 6 hours before the storm just hang it up and tell them to bad we have to get everything in place for after the storm. Hand them coupons and all and say see you in 3 days.

Just a small incomplete rant.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
Seriously if weather threatens lets shut down the WHOLE ENTIRE Airline everytime. Lets try to get no one home, 6 hours before the storm just hang it up and tell them to bad we have to get everything in place for after the storm. Hand them coupons and all and say see you in 3 days.

Just a small incomplete rant.
You're missing the point, which is the present response to weather is for management to stick its head in the sand, pretend that nothing is amiss, and DO NOTHING.

PHL and CLT run at capacity all the time. If operations does nothing, friction from the weather results in a cascade in delays, poor operations, and inevitably cancellations.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:57 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by hazelrah
You're missing the point, which is the present response to weather is for management to stick its head in the sand, pretend that nothing is amiss, and DO NOTHING.
It's sunny and 90 in Tempe. Why should they do anything???
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
From the looks of things it doesn't even seem like we're going to get some kind of generic "we had some snafus but things are perfect now and we're profitable ^ !!!" e-mail.

Denial. Denial. Denial.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
I'm wondering if part of the problem is a lack of institutional memory. How many high-level ops people are still around from the old US? Except for maybe back in the days of the old Columbus hub, I would imagine America West's operations people flat out never had to deal with a multi focus city/hub all day paralyzing winter storm before.

Of course, maybe it's wishful thinking on my part that the lesson will be learned and not repeated.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Snow storm.. what snow storm?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
From the looks of things it doesn't even seem like we're going to get some kind of generic "we had some snafus but things are perfect now and we're profitable ^ !!!" e-mail.

Denial. Denial. Denial.
You mean like the merger updates we get from TC?

Oops! We had a few minor delays, but those were contained to those little towns in the east, like CLT, PHL, PIT, LGA, BOS, EWR, DCA...but at PHX and LAS, it was smooth flying!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
I'm wondering if part of the problem is a lack of institutional memory. How many high-level ops people are still around from the old US? Except for maybe back in the days of the old Columbus hub, I would imagine America West's operations people flat out never had to deal with a multi focus city/hub all day paralyzing winter storm before.
I think you are dead-on right with your statement. We're expecting a bunch of airline business rookies here to handle situations they have no experience in dealing with.

It's like the corner hot-dog vendor that bought up a bunch of Mickey D's overnight. No idea of how to operate in this business environment or magnitude. And sorry...if you've spent most of your career making a living running an airline from the desert, you don't have a clue what it's like to push metal around the Northeast and other heavy winter areas.

Can you imagine if the biggest hub was at ORD or DEN???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.