Whose seat did I take?

Old Mar 18, 2007, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; US 50K
Whose seat did I take?

As part of the US meltdown over the weekend, my SRQ to DCA flight was cancelled. The Sarasota, FL (SRQ) to Washington, National (DCA) flight in coach (I guess during busy season on Saturdays only they use a 737 vs. a RJ) was $200+ and FC was $350. So I purchased FC.

Since there are no other SRQ flights to anywhere but CLT and there was only one person working the counter (no FC line) - I quickly realized that it would take three hours just to get rebooked. After many busy signals, I did manage to get through to the CP line - which (since I'm no longer a CP, rather a FTD Gold but I didn't know the number since I don't have my new card yet), it dropped me into Gold waiting pool which had a 207 minute wait.

Choices were three hours to get rebooked and three and half hours on hold, so I got back in the car and went to TPA where there are more options.

Finally got to the counter and they say they best they can do is put me on stand-by for a 4:00 flight. However, this is a flight leaving in 15 minutes and since you only have carry-on, if you get through security you might be able to make it. Get to the gate at 11:45 and Flight 1146 was supposed to leave at 11:42. Fortunately, they were late and just started boarding those needing extra assistance. Went to the counter.

Me: Can I get on the waitlist for this flight, if it helps, I do have a full fare FC ticket (thinking if they haven't called the upgrades yet, I might get a seat)? GA: Nope, FC is completely full, but I'll put you on the waitlist for coach. (proceeds to add my name to the waitlist)
GA: What's that (boarding card bumps into her knee). Must be for you. Looks at the boarding card. Congradulations, its your lucky day, you got on. Starts to hand me the card, then notices its 2A and says "first class too".

Q: Whose seat did I take?

I did see an employee board (not in uniform) as a jump seat traveller. Hugged both the flight attendents when boarding and asked the gate agent which seat - 17E (or something like that). Was the GA saving the FC seat for their collegue? With 2 FAMs and one non-rev that would be a full 25% of the FC seats taken by non-revenue passengers.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by DC-USCP-UAPE
As part of the US meltdown over the weekend, my SRQ to DCA flight was cancelled. The Sarasota, FL (SRQ) to Washington, National (DCA) flight in coach (I guess during busy season on Saturdays only they use a 737 vs. a RJ) was $200+ and FC was $350. So I purchased FC.

Since there are no other SRQ flights to anywhere but CLT and there was only one person working the counter (no FC line) - I quickly realized that it would take three hours just to get rebooked. After many busy signals, I did manage to get through to the CP line - which (since I'm no longer a CP, rather a FTD Gold but I didn't know the number since I don't have my new card yet), it dropped me into Gold waiting pool which had a 207 minute wait.

Choices were three hours to get rebooked and three and half hours on hold, so I got back in the car and went to TPA where there are more options.

Finally got to the counter and they say they best they can do is put me on stand-by for a 4:00 flight. However, this is a flight leaving in 15 minutes and since you only have carry-on, if you get through security you might be able to make it. Get to the gate at 11:45 and Flight 1146 was supposed to leave at 11:42. Fortunately, they were late and just started boarding those needing extra assistance. Went to the counter.

Me: Can I get on the waitlist for this flight, if it helps, I do have a full fare FC ticket (thinking if they haven't called the upgrades yet, I might get a seat)? GA: Nope, FC is completely full, but I'll put you on the waitlist for coach. (proceeds to add my name to the waitlist)
GA: What's that (boarding card bumps into her knee). Must be for you. Looks at the boarding card. Congradulations, its your lucky day, you got on. Starts to hand me the card, then notices its 2A and says "first class too".

Q: Whose seat did I take?

I did see an employee board (not in uniform) as a jump seat traveller. Hugged both the flight attendents when boarding and asked the gate agent which seat - 17E (or something like that). Was the GA saving the FC seat for their collegue? With 2 FAMs and one non-rev that would be a full 25% of the FC seats taken by non-revenue passengers.
Without asking the GA, surely this is an un-answerable question...?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:29 pm

Programs: None
Let's try the process of elimination.....

Not mine!!^

Jim
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Perhaps you got the seat of someone who got stuck in the check-in mess in the terminal and did not make the flight? I saw a lot of that in CLT. All of the LGA flights were full, but the three flights I did standby for all had available seats for standby customers. Many confirmed passengers did not anticipate the long wait times for check-in and missed their flights.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:22 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Angry

US decided to kick me out of my F seat today from PHL-PHX. Upgraded several weeks ago with miles. OLCI last night - obtained F boarding pass in row 2.

Got to airport. They said someone with a "similar name" checked in and they cancelled my ticket. ...? Are they making this up, or do they have a security problem?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold
was Doug, tried to fly incognito and get the hell out
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by Tanic

Got to airport. They said someone with a "similar name" checked in and they cancelled my ticket.
Almost identical thing happened to me last Thursday. Except the excuse they used was "our computer system doesn't work right" and didn't bother giving me a nonsense excuse like similar name.

I was lucky though that there was a non-rev in the cabin who got the boot. Otherwise 8E would have been my fate JFK - PHX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.