Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways holds 100s of passengers hostage for up to 8 hours

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2007, 6:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

US Airways holds 100s of passengers hostage for up to 8 hours

At least nine planes sat on Philadelphia International's tarmac with stranded passengers for six hours or more on Friday (March 16th), where 95 percent of the flights were canceled Friday night because of extreme icy conditions, according to KYW Newsradio. (One flight for 8 hours)
==============

First it was American Airlines, them Jet Blue, now US Airways, we need a Passenger Bill of Rights.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: US Chairmans, Air Tran Elite, NWA Silver, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Gold
Multiple airlines had pax stuck on planes for many hours during this storm. It was not just US!!!! I read an article on AOL news just a few minutes talking about a variety of airlines that had pax stuck on planes anywhere from 3 hours to 12 hours. It was a horrible storm that screwed up everybody and everything.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by mrhotelman
Multiple airlines had pax stuck on planes for many hours during this storm. It was not just US!!!! I read an article on AOL news just a few minutes talking about a variety of airlines that had pax stuck on planes anywhere from 3 hours to 12 hours. It was a horrible storm that screwed up everybody and everything.
We can't blame the airlines...blame mother nature too!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:07 am

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by usa18dca
We can't blame the airlines...blame mother nature too!
I dunno. Keeping people trapped in a plane sitting of the tarmac is just too cruel,

I mean there has to be some way to let people off the plane for a while. I heard people suggest a 3 hour rule or something like that. There has to be a way to do it.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:54 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Greg P.
I dunno. Keeping people trapped in a plane sitting of the tarmac is just too cruel,

I mean there has to be some way to let people off the plane for a while. I heard people suggest a 3 hour rule or something like that. There has to be a way to do it.
Fly NW/CO/DL!

"Lets all blame mother nature"...sure and lets blame the alcohol maker for Parkers DUI!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Airlines seem poorly equipped to deal with what is an increasingly attention-grabbing situation. Sooner or later, they're going to be inviting in government regulation in this area unless they come up with something.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Just heard a story on the morning news....Air Maroc (?) had a plane on the tarmac at JFK for 16 hours- and it was 10 hours of sitting before the captain even came over the PA!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: US Chairmans, Air Tran Elite, NWA Silver, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Fly NW/CO/DL!

"Lets all blame mother nature"...sure and lets blame the alcohol maker for Parkers DUI!
The above airlines are no better and all had problems with this storm. Plus why are you even bringing up the DUI thing. Not only is that old news, but it has no bearing on this situation.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:49 am

I don't get why the people didn't just open the doors themselves and leave whether on the slide. What if someone had a panic attack or something. Whatever airline that does this, this is just ridiculous.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I don't get why the people didn't just open the doors themselves and leave whether on the slide. What if someone had a panic attack or something. Whatever airline that does this, this is just ridiculous.
I'm sure your just joking. But if you aren't, if somebody just opened up the door and activiated the slide without direction/permision, chances are they'd end up getting arrested, no matter how justified they felt their actions were.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Legally they'd be kept in more sanitary conditions in custody than the state of a plane after 16 hours on the tarmac. Might be worth it !!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:12 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Other than the arrest and possible lawsuit by the airline to repack the emergency slide ($45,000 by some estimates)---probably nothing.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish people would not use over-dramatic language.
Originally Posted by Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
hostage
noun [C]
someone who is taken as a prisoner by an enemy in order to force the other people involved to do what the enemy wants:
She was taken/held hostage by the gunmen.
The terrorists have seized 20 hostages and are threatening to kill one a day unless their demands are met.
I have no recollection of hearing Doug Parker asking God to change the weather "or else"... so, until this happens, could we change our lexicon to something a little more appropriate?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:49 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by mrhotelman
I'm sure your just joking. But if you aren't, if somebody just opened up the door and activiated the slide without direction/permision, chances are they'd end up getting arrested, no matter how justified they felt their actions were.
They might get arrested, but certainly not convicted. You would be hard pressed to find 12 people to vote to convict in this situation.

You might even beat the civil suit from the airline to cover the cost of repacking the slide.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:00 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Fly NW/CO/DL!
Uhm... right... didn't NW INVENT the whole idea of leaving people stuck on the plane?

I don't know how it was at PHL on Friday night, but if the conditions in the city are any indication there really were no good options. Cabs weren't running most of the night, walking more than half a block into the wind was a horrible experience, etc.

There's generally no excuse to leave people in the plane that long, but with the situation on Friday, they MAY have done as much as they could. If cars, which are designed to maneuver on the ground, have trouble, planes - which aren't - may have been in even worse shape. It begs the question of why load them in the first place and that makes B6 look like the real wise guys here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.