Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
US Airways and Singapore Airlines Announce Codeshare Agreement

Press Release Source: US Airways

US Airways and Singapore Airlines Announce Codeshare Agreement
Wednesday March 14, 7:00 pm ET

TEMPE, Ariz., March 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Beginning this June, US Airways (NYSE: LCC - News) customers will be able to enjoy seamless travel between the United States, the island of Singapore and exciting southeast Asia destinations, thanks to a codeshare cooperation between Singapore Airlines and US Airways subject to both United States and foreign government approval.

With this new cooperation, US Airways customers traveling to Singapore will be able to connect on Singapore Airlines nonstop service from Los Angeles.

From the Singapore hub, US Airways' customers can easily and seamlessly connect on Singapore Airlines to popular destinations in the Asia Pacific region, including Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.

Conversely, Singapore Airlines customers traveling to the exciting cities of Phoenix and Las Vegas can do so conveniently, by connecting via Los Angeles or San Francisco on US Airways flights. Also, customers heading to Charlotte, N.C. can catch a connecting US Airways flight at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport.

"We're delighted to offer Singapore Airlines' customers access to our hub cities of Las Vegas and Phoenix, with easy connections to 97 destinations throughout the United States, Canada, and Mexico through US Airways' extensive route network," said Andrew Nocella, US Airways' senior vice president, schedule planning and alliances.

"This partnership will bring convenience and benefits to customers of both Star Alliance airlines, providing them with a link between Singapore and more US cities. This is a testament to the growing relationship between Singapore Airlines and US Airways, our Star Alliance partner," said Mr. Huang Cheng Eng, Singapore Airlines' Executive Vice President, Marketing and the Regions. Customers can purchase tickets for the services in May for travel beginning in June. Full details of the codeshare flight schedules, subject to government approval, can be found at www.singaporeair.com.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
As someone who has a not-too insignificant stash of Dividend Miles -- none from flying either of the conjoined carriers, mind you -- I'm curious whether my miles can be redeemed on SQ already and what effect this agreement is expected to have on such redemptions.

I have thrice cashed in Mileage Plus miles for transpacific travel on SQ in Raffles and, somewhat surprisingly, find it rather easy to redeem those miles for a SQ award.

What are your experiences, if any, with using Dividend Miles to redeem on SQ (assuming that is a viable option for Dividend Miles members)?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Do more a search the press releases link:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070314/law054a.html?.v=1
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
As someone who has a not-too insignificant stash of Dividend Miles -- none from flying either of the conjoined carriers, mind you -- I'm curious whether my miles can be redeemed on SQ already and what effect this agreement is expected to have on such redemptions.

I have thrice cashed in Mileage Plus miles for transpacific travel on SQ in Raffles and, somewhat surprisingly, find it rather easy to redeem those miles for a SQ award.

What are your experiences, if any, with using Dividend Miles to redeem on SQ (assuming that is a viable option for Dividend Miles members)?
You can redeem US miles on SQ, and without ANY of the restrictions that plague UA FFers (no sitting in Economy mumbo-jumbo on a Business Class awards, the award can be held for 72 hours, etc.).
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Can US/SQ get an A345 with Exec Econ seating to make a nonstop HVN-SIN route? I'll be happy to catch a connecting flight from SIN to HKG if I can just go non-stop HVN-SIN!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:17 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by sefrischling
Can US/SQ get an A345 with Exec Econ seating to make a nonstop HVN-SIN route? I'll be happy to catch a connecting flight from SIN to HKG if I can just go non-stop HVN-SIN!
I'll take that
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Originally Posted by pieper
I'll take that
Pieper

I knew you'd agree with that route.

I'm still praying for HVN-SFO and HVN-LHR first.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:49 am
Suspended

Uh, I'm confused. How is this different that the past alliance with Singapore Air through Star Alliance? We've always been able to connect seamlessly through any US city on Singapore Air. I did it last year DCA-LAX-SIN-SGN.

BTW, Singapore Air is fabulous.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The difference is that with a codeshare, you can expect more competitive fare pricing and better schedule connectivity.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: US SP
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
The difference is that with a codeshare, you can expect more competitive fare pricing and better schedule connectivity.
Another difference is that it will now be possible to fly SQ in accordance with the Fly America Act.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: None
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main difference is marketing.

Alliance's allow single ticketing for connections between alliance partners, with the flight numbers and designators being that of whichever partner operates individual segments.

Codeshares allow flights on the codeshare partner to carry a US flight number, so the flight numbers and designators would be shown as US (operated by XXXX).

In other words, *A allows US to sell single-ticket service with segments having SIA's flight numbers while a SIA codeshare allows US to sell single-ticket service with only US flight numbers (some segments operated by SIA).

Jim
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main difference is marketing.

Alliance's allow single ticketing for connections between alliance partners, with the flight numbers and designators being that of whichever partner operates individual segments.

Codeshares allow flights on the codeshare partner to carry a US flight number, so the flight numbers and designators would be shown as US (operated by XXXX).

In other words, *A allows US to sell single-ticket service with segments having SIA's flight numbers while a SIA codeshare allows US to sell single-ticket service with only US flight numbers (some segments operated by SIA).

Jim
Thats correct Jim, it's all about marketing the said flights being codeshared.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:47 am

As I understand it, usairways.com can only book or display flights on US, HP, UA (after March 17th) and LH. However, it will not let you book an itinerary that has NO US legs.

For example, I can't book BOS-FRA-BLR on LH, even though all those legs have US codeshares. Nor can I book any destination served on any other of the *A carriers (for example, Auckland, Cape Town, etc).

But according to http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...ervations.aspx you can book just about anything:

Can I book a flight on a Star Alliance airline on usairways.com?
Now you can purchase paper tickets on most itineraries which include codeshare flights operated by Star Alliance and GoCaribbean Network partners on usairways.com. You can also purchase partner flights operated by United, which are already available on usairways.com.

So am I wrong or is the website documentation wrong? (shocker)
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
You can redeem US miles on SQ, and without ANY of the restrictions that plague UA FFers (no sitting in Economy mumbo-jumbo on a Business Class awards, the award can be held for 72 hours, etc.).
One huge difference is that Dividend Miles awards on SQ are apparently 30,000 and 40,000 miles more expensive for business and first class respectively than through Mileage Plus. See here.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I used the ANA Award Checker. Of about 10 to 12 flights that showed availability on SQ to the US, US Air had availability only on one flight from ICN to YVR, and they refused to book it because there are new routing rules that they could not quite explain. They were confused about Asia in general. One Chairman's rep. said something like "to be honest I have not seen an SQ award in 6 months." I had 100% success using the ANA award checker to identify the TG JFK nonstop to BKK,(which may be discontinued) the ANA flight from NRT to IAD, and SQ flights within Asia.

I am just wondering if the SQ-USAir codeshares will open up more award seats.

Delta told me that they may get one award business seat at a time on an SQ flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.