Breaking US news from USA Today (Codeshare with Singapore Airlines)

Old Mar 14, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Maybe SQ could have a special Book the Cook menu for US code share pax:

-Pretzels
-Can of Soda
-Pretzels
- Cup of Soda

POST OF THE DAY!!!
Old Mar 14, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by shinbal
What an awakening a US F or C flight would be for a SQ regular.
Maybe they'll just mark US F seats as "Preferred Seating / Economy Plus" for SQ ticket stock tickets.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by uva185
Maybe they'll just mark US F seats as "Preferred Seating / Economy Plus" for SQ ticket stock tickets.
Good one
Old Mar 14, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Awesome News!!

I hope this influences SQ and US to get some nice flights from LAX and to also coordinate their services.

For me, it really does not matter, if I am flying to SIN , I am flying LAX-SIN on SQ non-stop... so no US for me.. but nice to see the link up. Would love preferred bonuses on SQ flights!!!
Old Mar 14, 2007, 5:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Makes sense for SQ to partner with the worst-service *A airline in the US.
It serves as a reminder to regular SQ passengers how fortunate they are to fly SQ. Builds brand loyalty...

Seriously, though...makes sense. UA is a direct competitor flying out of SIN.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jumpgate
LAS is one of the fastest growing destinations for Asian tourists in the entire world.

My guess is SQ wants to be able to offer easy connections from LAX and SFO to LAS.
This is SPOT ON...HP used to make lots of $$ off the "golden triangle" add-on routing of SFO-LAS-LAX.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by shinbal

This has to be the funniest comment of the day!!! (Well done!)
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:38 am

Programs: Ex-US GP
Originally Posted by Shinbal
Yeah, talk about polar opposites. US would do well to recognize that an airline can make make money while treating pax with top-class service at all levels, instead of treating it as an afterthought and rolling back amenities. Sadly, it seems the WN-worshipping beancounters won out.
Kendall
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by Kendall
Yeah, talk about polar opposites...
I think that's true only in the front cabins. Try flying in SQ Economy (excluding Exec Econ which has more legroom and stuff); while marginally better all round, it ain't nothing to write home about. The majority of SQ pax connecting to US for LAS and other places on package tours would probably view US as a step down, but not three steps down.

SQ's Raffles and FC are rated highly year after year, for good reason - it's as good as it gets for folks willing to pay the hefty prices. And SQ prefers to let the front cabins fly empty rather than complimentary upgrading even their own Elites. The luxury of SQ up front only applies to those select few able to pay (or have the company or client pay), and to the rest of us who save our Miles for once-in-a-lifetime trips.

Yes, SQ has invested a lot in their front cabins, but they also have a cheaper labor force, etc which gives them a cost advantage over any US legacy airline. Back in its heyday, US tried a real First Class transAtlantic (the present Row 1 seats) but found it was economically unfeasible. Others may be willing to pay for premium travel, but not enough USA-originating pax seem to want to.

I would be surprised, though, if SQ execs had not actually flown US thoroughly to determine a "good fit" before agreeing to the codeshare. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that SQ had extracted a memo of understanding from US regarding codeshare-needed changes to the FC and main cabin - e.g. Mandarin/Cantonese-speaking FA on LAS flights, hot towels in FC, whatever.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by kudzu

SQ's Raffles and FC are rated highly year after year, for good reason - it's as good as it gets for folks willing to pay the hefty prices. And SQ prefers to let the front cabins fly empty rather than complimentary upgrading even their own Elites. The luxury of SQ up front only applies to those select few able to pay (or have the company or client pay), and to the rest of us who save our Miles for once-in-a-lifetime trips.
This could not be emphasized enough. If you want "SQ" standards for US, that includes the standards they hold regarding the integrity of their product. I flew 11 hours on SQ in J--three passengers with a full cabin staff that seated 30. You can be sure there was a number of their elites and *A elites sitting back in Y. Needless to say, AWESOME flight!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kudzu
. . . SQ prefers to let the front cabins fly empty rather than complimentary upgrading even their own Elites. The luxury of SQ up front only applies to those select few able to pay (or have the company or client pay), and to the rest of us who save our Miles for once-in-a-lifetime trips. . .
Boy, I can attest to that. I was on a F award to Singapore and Bali and there was one segment (SIN-NRT) that they could not clear at the time of ticketing, and I was never able to clear it prior to the trip. I was told, incorrectly, that if there was space available in F on the day of the flight that they would seat me there, given that the rest of my ticket was confirmed in F and I was "paying" the F fare in miles.

There were a total of 3 passengers in F on that flight, yet there was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that they would allow me to sit in F. I politely escalated it all the way to the SIN station manager on duty. They would have none of it. He said it was important to "maintain the exclusive ambiance of the cabin" and that they simply do not allow more than a specified number of "free ticket" passengers to sit in any F or J cabin at any given time.

Now mind, you, I was flying in SQ F, am a seasoned business traveler and I was dressed appropriately and addressing everyone professionally. His position had nothing to do with me. It's just the way they do things. And they're not known for being particularly flexible with any rules.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Why would SQ enter into an agreement with US and not UA???
Because they have already had an agreement for years.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 4:25 pm
Suspended

On the codeshare you should get elite bonus miles as well.^
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uva185
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
SQ First is fabulous and among the very best in the world. OTOH, SQ Business is also very nice, but by no means worth half the overhype it receives.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.