Community
Wiki Posts
Search

overheard in the galley .....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:25 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
overheard in the galley .....

I was on a flight this morning that had a 40 minute ground delay at the gate. I was in 1C, so I was privy to an entire conversation (yes, I eavesdropped) that the GAs and FAs were having with each other in the galley. I will not say the the airport, route etc as I do not want to get these employees in trouble. Again, this is just what I heard and no facts have been verified.

They all HATE the new reservation system.

The printers are all messed up. Apparently in SABRE they used to be able to select which printer to print a manifest, BP etc, but now it's hard coded and not hard coded well. BPs and manifests are being printed all over the terminal for different gates and nobody knows which belongs to who.

SHARES gives them more manual control of the standby and upgrades list. They now have a functionality to move people up and down and above at the whim of the agent. One joked that there's nothing stopping them from making sure a non-rev employee can always sit in F.

Apparently, 1A is "hard blocked" on EVERY East plane and NOBODY (not even the former HP "trainers") can figure out how to un-block it. The GA noted that flights have VDBed people with 1A still open. Anyone noticed this?

They joked that US Airways' new motto should be "US Airways - We fly everywhere you'll never be able to get."

They were ashamed at the events in Charlotte and couldn't believe the airline actually told people to "go home and come back tomorrow."
Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jumpgate
I was on a flight this morning that had a 40 minute ground delay at the gate. I was in 1C, so I was privy to an entire conversation (yes, I eavesdropped) that the GAs and FAs were having with each other in the galley. I will not say the the airport, route etc as I do not want to get these employees in trouble. Again, this is just what I heard and no facts have been verified.

They all HATE the new reservation system.

The printers are all messed up. Apparently in SABRE they used to be able to select which printer to print a manifest, BP etc, but now it's hard coded and not hard coded well. BPs and manifests are being printed all over the terminal for different gates and nobody knows which belongs to who.

SHARES gives them more manual control of the standby and upgrades list. They now have a functionality to move people up and down and above at the whim of the agent. One joked that there's nothing stopping them from making sure a non-rev employee can always sit in F.

Apparently, 1A is "hard blocked" on EVERY East plane and NOBODY (not even the former HP "trainers") can figure out how to un-block it. The GA noted that flights have VDBed people with 1A still open. Anyone noticed this?

They joked that US Airways' new motto should be "US Airways - We fly everywhere you'll never be able to get."

They were ashamed at the events in Charlotte and couldn't believe the airline actually told people to "go home and come back tomorrow."
Sounds like employees who really care about the "conversion"...remember unhappy employees=unhappy customers=unhappy shareholders when the stock plummets=unhappy CEO that resigns...one can hope
Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:22 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by usa18dca
Sounds like employees who really care about the "conversion"...remember unhappy employees=unhappy customers=unhappy shareholders when the stock plummets=unhappy CEO that resigns...one can hope
This would be so simple to get some good will, give EVERYONE who flew during that time Double miles for their flights as a "I AM SORRY- You are IMPORTANT TO US."

I think they do not realize how to offer goodwill, fortunately for B6, they do... and if you compare the 2 meltdowns, B6 handled the post- issue better!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: US CP, *A Gold, Intercontinental Plat. Elite, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Now this makes sense: This happened the other day both at PBI, and in the US Club at DCA. First at PBI, the printers were not working, or printing at another location. And at the DCA US Club, they could not get any of the printers to work, other than the one closest to the elevator/VIP/DV waiting area. Instead of just sending it to that printer, they had to actually use that computer. I feel awful for the front line employees who are having to deal with this!

Urrrrr!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
I noticed last weekend that an adjacent kiosk two kiosks down from me just started spouting out boarding passes/itinerary/etc and there was no one using the kiosk.

I just thought it might have been haunted......

Also -- noticed that the Kiosk botched my US Airways number on the return trip -- did not show platinum status or my number. Had to get an agent to punch it in.

SIMPLY PUT -- I'm staying away from the Kiosks for a few weeks at least....

From a person in the Telecom OSS industry, I understand the necessity of ample QA and "dry" runs... looks like US spent about 5 minutes testing out the Kiosk changes...

--- Not to mention -- The magnetic card slot reader does nothing. You can't scan you DM card, you MUST type the information in.....

Last edited by mht_flyer; Mar 13, 2007 at 9:33 pm
Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Weird. Actually I have sat in 1A on my last two flights. Apparently somebody knows how to unblock it.

Regarding people hating SHARES, I have heard a few comments like that too. To be fair though, anytime that you make a big change like this, you will hear comments like that. I'm guessing that in time, they will all get used to it. It may take a few months though.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:01 pm

That isn't very realistic. Besides I really like Doug, John, and Scott and the a couple of other folks. I am still in the process of trying to like Travis. He's nice and all but... you know, from that TOK perspective, Abel and Olen about that 6th sense, the certain stimuli that make you feel in a special way. Kind of like those animals that felt that Tsunami in Thailand coming loooong before it actually occured. Something is not right with Travis.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
That isn't very realistic. Besides I really like Doug, John, and Scott and the a couple of other folks. I am still in the process of trying to like Travis. He's nice and all but... you know, from that TOK perspective, Abel and Olen about that 6th sense, the certain stimuli that make you feel in a special way. Kind of like those animals that felt that Tsunami in Thailand coming loooong before it actually occured. Something is not right with Travis.
Did anyone understand this babble?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:12 pm

Gotta take some basic psych, however TOK(Theory of Knowledge) is only reserved for the elite(no, not preferred)
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:45 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
No kind of lost on me...
I really think they do not know how to capitalize on stuff..

COMPUTER GLITCH = REWARDS for TRAVELERS... I can see what it could have been
"Travelers caught by a US Airways Computer Glitch will be getting a little reward from the airlines, in apologizing to their customers - they decided to double the miles for all customers affected for a 10 day period. "We decided if our computers were going "crazy" causing our customers pain, we should let them cause some good will too. As we know this does not make up for the inconvenience, we hope this will be a start to saying we apologize for the mess." BUT.. this is fantasy... what can I say.. give me their marketing department
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:15 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
No kind of lost on me...
I really think they do not know how to capitalize on stuff..

COMPUTER GLITCH = REWARDS for TRAVELERS... I can see what it could have been
"Travelers caught by a US Airways Computer Glitch will be getting a little reward from the airlines, in apologizing to their customers - they decided to double the miles for all customers affected for a 10 day period. "We decided if our computers were going "crazy" causing our customers pain, we should let them cause some good will too. As we know this does not make up for the inconvenience, we hope this will be a start to saying we apologize for the mess." BUT.. this is fantasy... what can I say.. give me their marketing department
I may be a cynic, but I'm guessing the computers would also screw up an attempt to give out mileage bonuses. Some people would get them, some wouldn't, some people would get 100,000 mile bonuses, some would have their entire accounts wiped out....
Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
A colleague also got delayed in this mess and paid for a full-fare FC ticket and was treated like dirt. US Airways seems to have lost plenty of future business that could simply be corrected by offering an apology of some sort directly to affected pax. Anyone have success in requesting anything of the sort?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: US CP, United Premier, Continental Silver Elite

Are you high? What are you talking about???????
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:20 am

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver

H. Travis Christ.

Call me immature but is that a funny sounding name? I still chuckle every time I read it.

I'd hire a guy with that name just so I could call him into my office every now and then and say "H. Travis Christ, what the hell is the matter with you?.

Last edited by Greg P.; Mar 15, 2007 at 6:08 pm
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:36 am

Programs: Ex-US GP
Originally Posted by Greg P.
H. Travis Christ.

Call me immature but is that a funny sounding name? I still chuckle every time I read it.

I'd hire a guy with that name just so I could call him into my office every now and the and say "H. Travis Christ, what the hell is the matter with you?.
LOL!!!! ^ ^ ^
Gave me a good chuckle. Cheers Greg!
Kendall

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.