Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shattering the glass: the truth about the A320.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Shattering the glass: the truth about the A320.

2 topics I will cover today.
- The A320.
- The Shares Merge situation.

Having flown this past weekend from LAX-PHL-ORD I have some stuff I would like to say.

1) The A320 First Class configuration is definitely not as bad as many of you make it out to be. I think the whining factor is really sinking into many of you. While the left and right bin of First Class still have some equipment in them, it is not all that bad. The employees have not been complaining anymore, neither have the passengers. As Travis Christ has told us earlier last month, the remaining equipment will be relocated. The bulkheads are now cleaner than ever, new and fresh and Row 1 of First Class finally has a TV that is in a good position for passenger viewing. All 12 passengers were able to fit in all of their belongings
The lack of closet/hangers on wall is not as bad either. There is ample space for all coats and jackets to be hung behind row 3 of F. When my a lady felt cold later into the flight she did not have to bug the flight attendant or dig herself through the closet. She walked up and got the coat herself.

2) The employee situation in Shares was not as bad either. In LAX check-in was seamless and quick. HP and US agents were side by side assisting each other with the check-in process.
In PHL, although many domestic flights were moved to A terminal, my PHL-ORD was moved to A22, the agents had no problems with wait list, upgrades or boarding. Almost every gate had an HP agent along with one or two US agents working the system. Both airlines' agents asked each other questions and worked together. The HP agent learned about US legacy boarded pax and cleared upgrades and vice versa.
Furthermore, the usairways.com website is working much better now and that is thanks to the Shares system merge. All problems set aside, the usairways.com website LOOKS appealing.

While I understand there are still reasons we are not 100% with the great airline US Airways is, some of you folks made a smokescreen for first timers like myself trying the A320. The plane is great and I will be taking it again on an upcoming SJU trip in April.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Thanks for the trip report. I have a coach (possible upgrade to first) transcon on a US 320, and a similar trip on a Delta transcon -- I'll report back with thoughts on each.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: US-CP 11+yrs now just Silver as a Million Mile FlyerHH-Diamond, PC-Plat, Choice-Gold, Marriott- Plat
xxxx

xxxxxx

Last edited by VA Maddog; Mar 6, 2007 at 6:04 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: US-CP 11+yrs now just Silver as a Million Mile FlyerHH-Diamond, PC-Plat, Choice-Gold, Marriott- Plat
I have a lot of flying scheduled for next week.

Next week I have a multi-city transcon trip with 8 segments that will include a US319, an AW319, 2 AW320's and a US321 plus 2 Dash 8's and a UA RJ for fun.

I will try to be observant about the differences. I am normally an East flyer so I don't get on a lot of west aircraft.

I'll also be curious about the differences in the First Class service. So far I am only within the 7 day window for the first three legs so I have only cleared on the US319 flight.

I did find it interesting that they could not assign me ANY seat on the UA RJ and they suggested that I call UA to do that. The old system would allow them to assign UA code share seats but appaently the new one does not.

I appreciated the OP's observations about his recent flight on an A320. I take it that it was an east A320 recently reconfigured, correct?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:04 pm

Programs: US CP, Hertz Gold -President's Club, *wood, Marriott, Hilton, Kimpton
Not so fast King...

I will withhold comments on the IT migration...but as far as the A320 conversion goes, I must respectfully counter your observations.

Even with the reassignment of the transitional equipment storage, there still is a decrease in overhead storage. Any lose impacts the ability to provide all customers with their allotted storage.

Regarding the coats behind row 3, any way you look at it, it is a poor excuse for storage. If you have a jacket or suit there, the person who is entitled to recline lays back, thus crunching jackets or knocking them off of the hangers at least. Now, if you are in Row 3, with the jackets and outerwear all crammed into the 4 inches of space behind you, you do not have the ability to recline at all. At that point, the pitch in Coach is looking great. Either way- not really a clean solution.

The A320 lost 4 seats in F. The loss of 4 seats is a significant factor when it comes to factoring the possibility for upgrades. Yep, I am a PP flyer, did not realize I needed to play the segments game as I was slugging it out each week for the year-- and came up 12 segments short for CP. I like having the chance at those "unlimited" upgrades. When you factor in all the promotions and increase of GP and SP members also factoring in on those 12 seats that remain in F- topped with a % of people paying a premium to sit there...the odds just got worse for us that like a nicer ride now and then.

All the customer impacts aside- What I don't like is the fact the crew lost their standard configs, so I still see the hunt for service packs and the likes each time I am on a A320, and I don't like the fact the crew lost their one place to do some business, or get a moment of privacy, away from us (the pax) and for the pax to be spared a moment or two from the crew. We don't always have to hear the internal office politics (though it does provide some great material for the stand-up galley conversation thread!).

Just my two cents- Just using US as a means to the end with the weekly commute, but I like to think that US is part mine as well, as I contribute my weekly pay to them!
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VA Maddog
Next week I have a multi-city transcon trip with 8 segments that will include a US319, an AW319, 2 AW320's and a US321 plus 2 Dash 8's and a UA RJ for fun.

I will try to be observant about the differences. I am normally an East flyer so I don't get on a lot of west aircraft.

I'll also be curious about the differences in the First Class service. So far I am only within the 7 day window for the first three legs so I have only cleared on the US319 flight.

I did find it interesting that they could not assign me ANY seat on the UA RJ and they suggested that I call UA to do that. The old system would allow them to assign UA code share seats but appaently the new one does not.

I appreciated the OP's observations about his recent flight on an A320. I take it that it was an east A320 recently reconfigured, correct?
Yes, this is about the A320 in East configuration. I have flown the West one as well and it is good as well. The East however seems just a tad more spacious.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:25 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
picking up the busted shards of water bong

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
1) The A320 First Class configuration is definitely not as bad as many of you make it out to be. I think the whining factor is really sinking into many of you. While the left and right bin of First Class still have some equipment in them, it is not all that bad. The employees have not been complaining anymore, neither have the passengers. As Travis Christ has told us earlier last month, the remaining equipment will be relocated. The bulkheads are now cleaner than ever, new and fresh and Row 1 of First Class finally has a TV that is in a good position for passenger viewing. All 12 passengers were able to fit in all of their belongings
You must have flown on a weekend. Given 12 people, each with a 20" roller and a laptop bag or purse (not at all uncommon during the workweek) along with a winter coat--you cannot even come close to fitting it all. I'm guessing you probably flew a 320 trancon out of LAX--where half the folks are not wearing coats, on a weekend, with lots of checked luggage.

Where do you come up with "the employees are not complaining anymore, neither have the passengers?" I've now had the "pleasure" of a reconfigged 320 segment 4 times (in 6 weeks) and on each occasion the pax were grumbling and the crew (to their credit) was apologizing.

The lack of closet/hangers on wall is not as bad either. There is ample space for all coats and jackets to be hung behind row 3 of F. When my a lady felt cold later into the flight she did not have to bug the flight attendant or dig herself through the closet. She walked up and got the coat herself.
It's my understanding that US-East can't legally hang jackets there until they change their FOM as such. And I'm tempted to believe it because, until about 10 days ago (my last 320 hop), there were no hangers. It's also obnoxious as all get-out to the souls in Row 3 who have to recline into 6 winter jackets each.

While I understand there are still reasons we are not 100% with the great airline US Airways is, some of you folks made a smokescreen for first timers like myself trying the A320. The plane is great and I will be taking it again on an upcoming SJU trip in April.
Have fun with that. I'm taking the 767 out of CLT and the suprise 319 to BOS coming back. Why would you voluntarily subject yourself to the 320?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: US CP, Hertz Gold -President's Club, *wood, Marriott, Hilton, Kimpton
Not so fast King...

I will withhold comments on the IT migration...but as far as the A320 conversion goes, I must respectfully counter your observations.

Even with the reassignment of the transitional equipment storage, there still is a decrease in overhead storage. Any lose impacts the ability to provide all customers with their allotted storage.

Regarding the coats behind row 3, any way you look at it, it is a poor excuse for storage. If you have a jacket or suit there, the person who is entitled to recline lays back, thus crunching jackets or knocking them off of the hangers at least. Now, if you are in Row 3, with the jackets and outerwear all crammed into the 4 inches of space behind you, you do not have the ability to recline at all. At that point, the pitch in Coach is looking great. Either way- not really a clean solution.

The A320 lost 4 seats in F. The loss of 4 seats is a significant factor when it comes to factoring the possibility for upgrades. Yep, I am a PP flyer, did not realize I needed to play the segments game as I was slugging it out each week for the year-- and came up 12 segments short for CP. I like having the chance at those "unlimited" upgrades. When you factor in all the promotions and increase of GP and SP members also factoring in on those 12 seats that remain in F- topped with a % of people paying a premium to sit there...the odds just got worse for us that like a nicer ride now and then.

All the customer impacts aside- What I don't like is the fact the crew lost their standard configs, so I still see the hunt for service packs and the likes each time I am on a A320, and I don't like the fact the crew lost their one place to do some business, or get a moment of privacy, away from us (the pax) and for the pax to be spared a moment or two from the crew. We don't always have to hear the internal office politics (though it does provide some great material for the stand-up galley conversation thread!).

Just my two cents- Just using US as a means to the end with the weekly commute, but I like to think that US is part mine as well, as I contribute my weekly pay to them!
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
You must have flown on a weekend. Given 12 people, each with a 20" roller and a laptop bag or purse (not at all uncommon during the workweek) along with a winter coat--you cannot even come close to fitting it all. I'm guessing you probably flew a 320 trancon out of LAX--where half the folks are not wearing coats, on a weekend, with lots of checked luggage.

Where do you come up with "the employees are not complaining anymore, neither have the passengers?" I've now had the "pleasure" of a reconfigged 320 segment 4 times (in 6 weeks) and on each occasion the pax were grumbling and the crew (to their credit) was apologizing.

It's my understanding that US-East can't legally hang jackets there until they change their FOM as such. And I'm tempted to believe it because, until about 10 days ago (my last 320 hop), there were no hangers. It's also obnoxious as all get-out to the souls in Row 3 who have to recline into 6 winter jackets each.

Have fun with that. I'm taking the 767 out of CLT and the suprise 319 to BOS coming back. Why would you voluntarily subject yourself to the 320?
My LAX-PHL was the A321.

My PHL-ORD was an A320 on a Monday morning.

But I am glad you mentioned BOS. A little of topic, but I was going to mention a friendly warning, not really warning but note that an HP synergy will being operating a couple PHL-BOS flights. It will be a continuation from PHX or LAS with HP crews on HP planes. I am saying this because buisness folks have mentioned they prefer US East service in terms of being professional.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:08 pm

On my last PHX/PIT flight, I was in the exit row 10 on the A320 (east), which is probably the best coach row on the plane. Anyway, I noticed when everyone was getting off, there were 3 guys who were in first class just standing at the beginning of coach waiting for people to get off so that they could get their luggage. If the first class people are not one of the first ones on, their luggage ends up half way back in the plane. Their situation was not helped because first class and zones 1 & 2 were called at the same time. First class should be boarded first. It also does not help when you have people dumping both their rollaboard (sideways of course) and laptop case in the overheads. After the first 30 people board, the overheads in the front half of the plane are full.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:10 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I am saying this because business folks have mentioned they prefer US East service in terms of being professional.
Not I! I have always preferred the HP side for service over the East. Not once have I had service on East nearing the West's. I specifically tried to dodge the East every time I could, but it began to be nearly impossible mid-'06.

And I'll add that I am a former UA 1M (nearly 2M) and have been AA Plat EXP for 5 years, so not comparing US to WN.....
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis President; Marriott Platinum
the king of spin. Why would they send a letter to all their customer stating they messed up on the overhead, if in fact it is not a problem as YOU see it. Try flying from Denver in the middle of winter, we will see how much room you have to put your carry-on.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by EddieG
the king of spin. Why would they send a letter to all their customer stating they messed up on the overhead, if in fact it is not a problem as YOU see it. Try flying from Denver in the middle of winter, we will see how much room you have to put your carry-on.
Amen...Its been insane
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
You are starting to remind me of US Executives... it is scarey King.
The A320 is a Step back for people.. no matter how you cut it. It was better pitch, better seating, and better storage. HP is forced to cut East seats,etc to reduce costs system wide... it is their way to squeeze as much as they can out of the east side to help gain profits for the west... it is sad and it will chase away the top elites.

I am not too happy with them, but will keep with it, until I can switch airlines.. but for now, US offers the most direct service (with WN) to Phoenix... when I switch to another city, my airline will probably switch too.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EddieG
As I have replied to a couple of PM's about this post- I am entitled to my opinion. On my flights from location of 5 degress F - to location of 15 Degrees F flight everyone including myself had a warm, warm coat. Everyone had rollerboards nonetheless. I had a luggage and a laptop in a bulkhead so no floor storage. No problem! Dad was not upgraded/moved up until the last moment befor departure and he had to bring his 2 piecies of luggage. Yet again- no problem! The crews acknowledged that it has gotten much better and that they have received better comments about the config.

Tempe, AZ HQ folks were kind enough to issue an apology letter. In 33 years, Southwest has never issued an apology letter about how they cattle passengers onboard and yet I have heard of no whining. It took a major mess in JFK for Neelman to wake up and see that JetBlue is sucking big time when he did his cheesy little YouTube video. Now JetBlue is removing the 190's form their fleet and replacing them with ERJ 145's from XJET for a while and there is no apology that you have paid for a PTV flight and get an old cramped up ERJ 145 with no service at all. At the same time, Tempe, AZ HQ is keeping us informed about everything. Is none of our buisness that Doug had a DUI incident, but yet he chose to go public and apologize to the people. Little did he know people worldwide would go about teasing him. I was wondering which immature person would do the raped in jail joke but I guess no one has crossed that line yet. Thats convincing. All in all, informing people is what they definately do not lack.

And while we woud like to have 16F, more bin space and the closets back, it is what it is. It is not that bad. And destroying the airline we deep down inside love with such unrealistically harsh words is wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.