Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying TA With US - Should I Be Concerned?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA / US - PC Plat
Question Flying TA With US - Should I Be Concerned?

Flying US during summer:

LGW – CLT

CLT – PHL – LGW

I have been following numerous threads on here re all the negative comments about US.

Never flown US before, have always flown UA, but due to the direct flights from the UK to CLT we have chosen US.

Do we have anything to be concerned about?

The other concern I have, we have booked our flights on US through Orbitz, I phoned US customer service to confirm my reservation, I asked the agent, “if anything should go wrong with our flight, i.e. delay etc who do I contact” the agent said your booking agent, is this correct.

Last edited by InExperienced; Mar 6, 2007 at 9:02 am
Old Mar 3, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by InExperienced
The other concern I have, we have booked our flights on US through Orbitz, I phoned US customer service to confirm my reservation, I asked the agent, “if anything should go wrong with our flight, i.e. delay etc who do I contact” the agent said your booking agent, is this correct.
IIRC, You have a USAirways ticket and USAirways is obligated to get you to your destination if the flight is canceled. Usually with Orbitz they will give you your Airline Record Number, with that you should be able to contact US directly in case of changes, advanced notice delays etc.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ECKOA6
IIRC, You have a USAirways ticket and USAirways is obligated to get you to your destination if the flight is canceled. Usually with Orbitz they will give you your Airline Record Number, with that you should be able to contact US directly in case of changes, advanced notice delays etc.
ECK0A6: ^
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:49 pm

Flying US during summer:

LGW – CLT

LCL – PHL – LGW

I have been following numerous threads on here re all the negative comments about US.

Never flown US before, have always flown UA, but due to the direct flights from the UK to CLT we have chosen US.

I have had the least amount of problems with TA flights out of PHL. Actually I have had no problems. Domestic flights?....................whole different animal.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 5:02 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Thumbs up

You will no problems relax and enjoy!!
Old Mar 3, 2007, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Platinum
I think CLT will be a great experience for you and you should have no problems. Ignore most of the negative comments, as I have had only 1 bad experience on US int'l, ever!
Old Mar 3, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by intheairagain
You will no problems relax and enjoy!!
+1 Enjoy
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: Ex-US GP
As always,
it's a matter of perspective. I would recommend going into this with no expectations and you should be in for a pleasant surprise (I'm assuming you're talking about Y seats here). A lot of the negativity is related to cutbacks in quality of service. At one time, US (and most other US carriers) made this a priority (as int'l carriers still do). Now, less so. This may change in the future (perhaps from increased competition after Open Skies, if it's ratified). If you really place primacy on a higher standard, then you'd best be served elsewhere. If convenience is tops, then US makes the most sense. BTW, there is a rather nice lounge in CLT & LGW. I'm sure someone around here could spare a lounge pass or two for you - or maybe in the coupon connection board.
Enjoy your holiday!
Kendall
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Nothing worse than planning a vacation only for some part of it to go pear shaped!!!!!!!

My thanks to you all for the reassurance, very comforting.^ ^

Originally Posted by Kendall
BTW, there is a rather nice lounge in CLT & LGW. I'm sure someone around here could spare a lounge pass or two for you - or maybe in the coupon connection board.
Enjoy your holiday!Kendall
Kendall

I did look at using the "Paid Lounge" at LGW, http://www.airport-lounge-discounts....ck_lounges.htm however, what a fantastic tip.

The lounge pass will be a great way to start our vacation, not sure of my way round this board, where is the coupon section please?

Never asked for anything before, do FT members give lounge passes easily?

btw Kendall, we love your state!!
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:01 pm

Flying US during summer:

LGW – CLT

LCL – PHL – LGW

There are negative comments about every airline on these posts - thats's partly it's function...! I think you will be pleasantly surprised with US on the direct flights to CLT. The flights almost always are timely, and are operated by the Airbus A330 with very nice on-demand entertainment on screens at every seat. LGW-CLT is one of the nicest ways to cross the pond. As a smaller transatlantic airport, CLT is a delight. Folks there are friendly and efficient.

Should you need to change your arrangements before departure, the agent was correct as you have booked with Orbitz and they have control of your reservation.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:13 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I am intrigued.

Why would somebody who lives in the UK book with Orbitz, a virtually unknown brand/site in the UK. They only quote in $ so OP has to pay currency conversion charges, all calls are International as 1-800 does not work from the UK.

InExperienced is the right name.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Ahhh, This is where I was getting confused

Originally Posted by warbo
Should you need to change your arrangements before departure, the agent was correct as you have booked with Orbitz and they have control of your reservation.
Thanks for the confirmation ^
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I am intrigued.

Why would somebody who lives in the UK book with Orbitz, a virtually unknown brand/site in the UK. They only quote in $ so OP has to pay currency conversion charges, all calls are International as 1-800 does not work from the UK.

Well, with over 2000 posts, I'm surprised how inexperienced you are!!!!

I'm not accountable to you, but as you have tried to make me look an idiot, I will reply.

a) When I booked my flights, Orbitz was the cheapest, even with the exchange rate, using Kayak, (US Version) there are 2 versons, although you only quote US: http://www.kayak.co.uk/?tab=flights

http://www.kayak.com/

b) My CC Company here in the UK, DO NOT CHARGE USING MY CARD ABROAD

c) Prior to dialling a US number, regardless if it is 1-800 or not, I have an free phone international telephone number that I use, then once connected I'm charged at a rate of 1p per minute, FACT!! I use this facility every time I call the US, which is on a regular basis.

Both my friends / colleagues use the above facility to call from the US to the UK, AGAIN AT 1P PM.

Prior to replying to any further post on this board, I suggest you do your research first.

I'm very fortunate, that the FT members that have responded positively to my post do not have the same attitude as you!!!!!!!

Dude, Just about sums you up

Last edited by InExperienced; Mar 3, 2007 at 8:39 pm
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:46 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Chances are you will be in one of the Airbus 330's as I don't think US is flying anything else TA these days. Beware of the "2" seats in the 2-4-2 configuration. Usually these are the primo seats on a TA flight in Y as you are not in the dreaded middle but in the US A330's, the mechanics for the inflight entertainment are mounted under the seats. Seat A and H will show up on seatguru as having "obstructed" legroom but this is a massive understatement. There is essentially NO legroom on those seats and you're better off in the middle, especially if the flight is lightly loaded.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I am intrigued.

That surprises me. Orbitz is a very popular booking engine here in the UK, with thousands of UK-based passengers evry year. Many of the reservations queries I deal with here in Europe are made by Orbitz. It is certainly not an unknown brand here, on the contrary, it's almost as well-known as Expedia, Pricleline etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.