Wiki Posts
Search

20 minutes minimum connect time in PHX?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
20 minutes minimum connect time in PHX?

Some time ago I booked a flight from BDL to HNL via PHX, departure date late February. I looked up the trip plan yesterday, and it turns out that the BDL-PHX flight was cancelled (it seems HP won't fly this route any more), so I was rerouted via ORD on UA metal with US numbers. Now the transit times are extremely short: 35 minutes at ORD and 28 minutes at PHX. I know that 35 minutes is the legal MCT between LH/UA flights at ORD, but is the 28 minutes at PHX doable at all? I've found a message on this forum in which someone says that the MCT at PHX is 20 minutes, but I'm surprised. Does it also hold for connections between different terminals? The UA ORD-PHX flight arrives at terminal 2, while the HP flight leaves from terminal 4. Did they check it before rerouting me?

Anyway, I'll ask them to reroute me in a different way when I am at an airport soon (they can't do it through the chat online, and the telephone help line was pretty helpless last time I tried it).
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
No way I'd settle for the revised schedule. It's not reasonably possible to connect from T2 to T4 in 28 min, considering de-planing, catching the bus, clearing security again and getting to the gate at least 10 min. prior to departure. Not to mention that your luggage has even less of a chance given the inter-line connection.

That's no way to fly to Hawaii! (It's bad enough you're on US; don't make it any worse than it will already be. )
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:20 pm

I agree. A US-US connection of 28 minutes would be tight but doable. UA-US, no way.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 6:33 pm

Programs: US GP
Agreed. No way to do a T2 to T4 transfer in that time.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:04 pm

I tried a 45 minute time with the exact connection ORD-PHX on UA, and PHX-ONT on US. I arrived in the off-peak at PHX, and I never would have made it. Luckily once again Mesa blew it, and the A/C had no legal crew. It was delayed by half an hour and gave me just enough time to make the flight.

Those buses between terminals at PHX are unbelievably slow.... They are so slow they make TSA at PHX look quick.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I support the opinions above - no way from T2 to T4 unless your connecting flight is delayed. See if they will reroute you.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.
I've just called US Airways. A overseas agent picked up the phone and said, "oh I see that the BDL-ORD-PHX flights are operated by United, so you need to contact them, because they are responsible for your connection". I told the agent that originally I was on a US BDL-PHX flight, and it's US who cancelled it, rerouted me, and invented this new itinerary. Obviously, it was pointless to continue talking to her, so I will go to a US counter at the airport next week and talk to a real person.

I checked some flight data on Amadeus using www.wideroe.no. It turns out that the minimum connect time in PHX is (supposedly) 20 minutes for connections between US-US flights; for UA-US it's 60 minutes. The reason why my rerouting wasn't automatically rejected is that the UA flight from ORD to PHX is booked under the US code share number, so the system was tricked into thinking it's a US-US connection.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by krzysz
Thanks for your replies.
I've just called US Airways. A overseas agent picked up the phone and said, "oh I see that the BDL-ORD-PHX flights are operated by United, so you need to contact them, because they are responsible for your connection". I told the agent that originally I was on a US BDL-PHX flight, and it's US who cancelled it, rerouted me, and invented this new itinerary. Obviously, it was pointless to continue talking to her, so I will go to a US counter at the airport next week and talk to a real person.

I checked some flight data on Amadeus using www.wideroe.no. It turns out that the minimum connect time in PHX is (supposedly) 20 minutes for connections between US-US flights; for UA-US it's 60 minutes. The reason why my rerouting wasn't automatically rejected is that the UA flight from ORD to PHX is booked under the US code share number, so the system was tricked into thinking it's a US-US connection.
Call this # 1 800 2 FLY AWA

Hawaii trips are done in SHARES as they are all still HP op flights. They have your entire record and information. These will be PHX or RNO based agents so no intl crap to put up with.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Call this # 1 800 2 FLY AWA

Hawaii trips are done in SHARES as they are all still HP op flights. They have your entire record and information. These will be PHX or RNO based agents so no intl crap to put up with.
Thanks, but I wonder how to call this number using skype.

Another thing: I have used both the Shares and the Sabre PNRs to check the trip on the US website. When I use the Sabre locator, I can see the new flight plan with the new UA flights in it. When I use the Shares PNR, the first flight is PHX-HNL, and there's no trace of the UA flights in the booking. There is only some mysterious data, which I guess is the cancelled BDL-PHX flight:

Depart: 6:00 AM 01 Oct 2007 XXX [an XXX-rated flight? ]
Arrive: 6:01 AM 01 Oct 2007 OPN Flight: 9911
Class: Coach Flight Number Unknown
On-Time: N/A Meal: None
Travel Time: 0 h 1 m
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Once you talk to a US Airways agent and they change your flight in Sabre, the Shares reservation stays unupdated. You should now just rely on the Sabre PNR for information. It has been my experience that they never sync from US to HP.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:42 pm

Thanks, but I wonder how to call this number using skype.

Another thing: I have used both the Shares and the Sabre PNRs to check the trip on the US website. When I use the Sabre locator, I can see the new flight plan with the new UA flights in it. When I use the Shares PNR, the first flight is PHX-HNL, and there's no trace of the UA flights in the booking. There is only some mysterious data, which I guess is the cancelled BDL-PHX flight:

Depart: 6:00 AM 01 Oct 2007 XXX [an XXX-rated flight? ]
Arrive: 6:01 AM 01 Oct 2007 OPN Flight: 9911
Class: Coach Flight Number Unknown
On-Time: N/A Meal: None
Travel Time: 0 h 1 m
You cant type letters on SKYPE and it will still call the right place. When you called the AWA side that uses SHARES and they look up your PNR they will realize the 1 min error flight. Since they speak normal english , you can explain your scenario or you can just not mention the UA stuff at all to them and ask them to rebook you BDL-PIT/DCA/CLT/PHL-PHX-HNL( I would take PIT/DCA or PHL to make the flight time shorter since I think youre trying to make th 11am flight unless youre going on Sat which is 2X.

On another note.

In Feb OGG(MAUI) goes double daily. PHX-HNL has gone 2X daily last year, but now looks like OGG is 2X a day as well. I guess US is actually doing really, really well, even though the product is not that good.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
You cant type letters on SKYPE and it will still call the right place. When you called the AWA side that uses SHARES and they look up your PNR they will realize the 1 min error flight. Since they speak normal english , you can explain your scenario or you can just not mention the UA stuff at all to them and ask them to rebook you BDL-PIT/DCA/CLT/PHL-PHX-HNL( I would take PIT/DCA or PHL to make the flight time shorter since I think youre trying to make th 11am flight unless youre going on Sat which is 2X.

On another note.

In Feb OGG(MAUI) goes double daily. PHX-HNL has gone 2X daily last year, but now looks like OGG is 2X a day as well. I guess US is actually doing really, really well, even though the product is not that good.
Thx, I will be at JFK next week and I will try to find someone reasonably competent there. Now I need to think of an alternative routing to suggest to them. If I want to stick to HP/US and avoid UA, it looks like I will need to transfer in OGG (it's impossible to catch the PHX-HNL flight from BDL). I don't want to lose my bag flying via PHL, so I guess BDL-PIT-LAS-PHX-OGG-HNL might be the right choice (and more than 6K miles on my account ).

I think that the US product is quite reasonable, especially since they still award 100% miles in K/L/W booking classes.

Btw, since you write that you speak Polish, you may find this article about LO interesting : http://gospodarka.gazeta.pl/gospodar...5,3720641.html

I think this is really sad.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:33 am

Thx, I will be at JFK next week and I will try to find someone reasonably competent there. Now I need to think of an alternative routing to suggest to them. If I want to stick to HP/US and avoid UA, it looks like I will need to transfer in OGG (it's impossible to catch the PHX-HNL flight from BDL). I don't want to lose my bag flying via PHL, so I guess BDL-PIT-LAS-PHX-OGG-HNL might be the right choice (and more than 6K miles on my account ).

I think that the US product is quite reasonable, especially since they still award 100% miles in K/L/W booking classes.

Btw, since you write that you speak Polish, you may find this article about LO interesting : http://gospodarka.gazeta.pl/gospodar...5,3720641.html

I think this is really sad.

Dzieki za artykul. Really intresting, but sad like you said. I hope it all turns out well for LO. We don't want them to endure the same stuff RG when through.

Now, for the routings. You will earn EQM EQS on the Hawiaan inter-island code/share if you are a US Airways DM Member.

You could also do an overnight in PHX. As in BDL-usairhub-PHX(sleep here)-HNL arrv on the next day.

Can you say what day of the week this is, or exactly what day in Feb. Also tell me the dept time for the flight from PHX to HNL. I will try to work something up for you. Lastly, any alternate airports you could fly from?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:08 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
They hosed it up, so there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to get UA's ORD-OGG flight in late feb on the 777.

BDL-ORD-OGG, all in one day. No overnights, nada. Yeah, it's fewer segments. but a few segments aren't worth a day in Hawaii.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
They hosed it up, so there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to get UA's ORD-OGG flight in late feb on the 777.

BDL-ORD-OGG, all in one day. No overnights, nada. Yeah, it's fewer segments. but a few segments aren't worth a day in Hawaii.
You ment to say BDL-ORD-HNL. Its still a good idea, though I myself, a die-hard US fan would not pick the UA option simply because I dont like them. Sounds silly to most, I know.

Krzysz, are you a Dividend Miles member? Are you holding any status. If he does hold status in the DM program it would be only natural to fly US. Also, you can redeem 15k miles o/w for an upgrade to Hawaii on US. 15K would upgrade you all the way through from BDL-ushub-PHX-HNL. Although this is not UA F, 15k miles upgrade is not that much for such a long journey and I've heard the Hawaii F service is getting much better! Just my 2 cents. If I were to fly ORD-PHX-HNL on HP I would definately upgrade using 15k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.