Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possibility of Upgrading to Envoy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Possibility of Upgrading to Envoy

It's been a while since I've flown US, but I have a Q class ticket to AMS, US42, in October....I'm silver now bailed to NW during the dark days but slowly coming back, anyway...but, I saw something on the new web site that said you could request a cash upgrade within 30 hours of the departure, is this true? I'm flying out on a Friday night, I'm I just delusional or are there success stories?
Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-Plt, US-CP, DL-Colonel
Originally Posted by dwsnc
It's been a while since I've flown US, but I have a Q class ticket to AMS, US42, in October....I'm silver now bailed to NW during the dark days but slowly coming back, anyway...but, I saw something on the new web site that said you could request a cash upgrade within 30 hours of the departure, is this true? I'm flying out on a Friday night, I'm I just delusional or are there success stories?
It's called GoEnvoy and it is only 3 weeks old. It costs $500 each way and it is only good on the Trans Atlantic segment. If you want to do it, call US exactly 30 hours before departure and request it. Then give them your credit card over the phone and get a seat assignment. Do NOT do it iof they cannot give you a seat assignment over the phone.

Most really frequent TA flyers don't think that Envoy is worth that, but it is up to you. It's better than coach but it is not a competitive business class product.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by dwsnc
Unless you're very very tall, like to drink a lot, or have a lot of discretionary funds I wouldn't bother with paying $500 each way for an upgrade. Envoy, though enjoyable and comfortable, is not what you'd expect flying in C across to Atlantic on any airline.

If you've got a good seat in back, particularly if the seat next to you is empty, don't worry about it.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:12 pm

The AMS flight is the boeing 767 not the airbus so not worth it.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I think it's all relative. If you have $500 spare, yea do it. If funds are relatiavely tight (as they are for most of us) then no I don't think it's particuarily worth it.

If arriving awake is important, then that increases the value relative of course to your discretionary spending.

The point is, yes you may well have an opportunity to upgrade. Yes, Envoy isn't the best transatlantic business product out there. However, of 6 Envoy flights in the past year and a half I have thoroughly enjoyed 5 of them. The crew on the 6th was too new and I was halfway to London when the meal was finished but that's another story. Yes, 767 isn't nearly as good as the 330. But then again, coach on the 767 is far worse punishment than on the 330 so the difference margin is still similar.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Coach on the 767 is horrible indeed, no matter your height. Envoy old and tired looking, but better than in the back.
If you have Q and you can manage to upgrade witin the window, by all means, However, I've been trying to do that with a Q ticket and upgrade with ff miles for the 42 to AMS on 8/24. Nearly full coach, nearly empty envoy but am constantly told (today again) that they will "waitlist" me, no direct upgrade. October is not as busy, so you may luck out. I won't take my chances anymore and go E+ on UA.

If you can get seats 12C or E you should be "OK" in coach. Rest is hopeless,
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:33 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Originally Posted by Newryman
The AMS flight is the boeing 767 not the airbus so not worth it.
AMS will likely be a very tough upgrade to achieve for those relying on the "Go Envoy" program only.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:27 pm

Does the window open 30 hours before the flight in question, or the first flight in your itinerary?
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Air Pirate
Does the window open 30 hours before the flight in question, or the first flight in your itinerary?
GoEnvoy kicks in 30 hours before the flight in question.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:35 am

Programs: CO,US,BA
It'll be interesting to see if they continue the GOENVOY after the 767s are completely refurbished with the new Envoy sleeper seats and iFE.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:45 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by acenturi
It'll be interesting to see if they continue the GOENVOY after the 767s are completely refurbished with the new Envoy sleeper seats and iFE.

Maybe I missed something - will all the envoy seats be sleeper seats, or just a few rows? It seems like an update to all sleeper would make the 767s far more in-demand than the A333s...

I'm not sure why they would stop the program regardless of any aircraft updates - it's $500 cash they wouldn't otherwise have, and the only additional cost they have is perhaps $5 for a better meal (unless of course you can down a few gallons of free vodka... ) But it does bring up an interesting question - would all seats be $800 (since they're sleeper seats) or would they only charge the $500? And if they only charged the $500, would that go into effect system-wide (essentially dumping row 1 on the A333 back to CPs and full-fare envoy pax?)? If it wasn't system-wide, it seems like the savvy travellers would book on a 767 wherever possible.

I guess personally, I might be willing to pay $500 once or even twice for an envoy seat, but I most certainly wouldn't pay $800 ever.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:18 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by vysean
Maybe I missed something - will all the envoy seats be sleeper seats, or just a few rows? It seems like an update to all sleeper would make the 767s far more in-demand than the A333s...
....... But it does bring up an interesting question - would all seats be $800 (since they're sleeper seats)....
The entire Envoy cabin will get a makeover. Since the seats have 8" more of pitch(going from 55" to 63"), it's unknown if they will shrink the cabin to 3 rows, or keep it at 4 and nix the first row of coach.

While they are "lie flat", they are not horizontally flat. They will probably be similar to the new AA biz seats . As you can see, they are flat, but slope at an angle. So, row 1 of the A330 will still have an edge. But I imagine the 767 will become more desireable for business travelers who want a product that's not worn out and 10 years old. Similarly, it's not known if the 757-ETOPS Envoy upgrade slated for this Winter will have these "lie flat" seats or something more like what's in the A330 Envoy cabin now.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, American Platinum Pro
I think 500$(+the Y-Ticket) is really ok for flying Business. Compare that to the price you are paying for a full-fare C ticket.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:33 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by luxair
I think 500$(+the Y-Ticket) is really ok for flying Business. Compare that to the price you are paying for a full-fare C ticket.

Dunno, full fare C to FCO is only $1100-$1400 each way, which seemed entirely reasonable when the discounted coach (Q/V) fares are $400-$500 each way. I realize it's the same as paying cash for the upgrade, but this way you get the 50% CoS bonus and confirmed, guaranteed seating, plus access to departure (and arrival?) lounge that you might not otherwise receive.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:52 pm

Thanks, Warbo. Will give this a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.