Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: The ugly truth about LUS ("West" 757) First Class service to Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUS: The ugly truth about LUS ("West" 757) First Class service to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Nope -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ghlight=Hawaii
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Same reasons as before? (this thread is more than 2 years old)

Heading there in December...
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: Many
Original post was 7+ years ago. Still flying the 757, I sure hope something has improved.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Any improvement with AA merger?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:57 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The HI configured 757's have had some minor refurb inside. Still basically a domestic configured plane with standard first class seats.

The AA merger hasn't happened yet. It's quite possible when it does, however, the PHX->HI flights could be nixed (along with the 757's) since AA serves HI very nicely from DFW and LAX.

I would venture to say that most of the PHX traffic to HI is not O&D.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:25 am

LUS: Recent experience on this route?

first from PHX-HNL on USairways 752 V1. I had read some really negative reviews from many years ago, wanted to see if it had changed or if I should save my miles and opt for econ.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 17, 2015 at 4:11 pm Reason: Restore original postbtitle
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
even if they spit in your wine, F is still better than coach on a flight this long.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
even if they spit in your wine, F is still better than coach on a flight this long.
HA! Thats pretty good. What about saving the miles and spending the extra $ on an reclining exit row?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
I traveled to HNL frequently last year, and avoided this route like the plague. First is better than coach (which is BRUTAL) on these old birds, but not by much.

I ended up flying through DFW or LAX on AA instead of through PHX on US as if I got stuck in coach I could still get MCE and be somewhat comfortable.

If you are going to use miles, I'd go through DFW on the 767 with a nice F product. LAX is mostly 757s, which are eons better than US's 757s, but I like the 767 better.

So, I guess the moral of the story is, until US starts flying a different plane to HNL from PHX, I'm not flying that route unless I absolutely have to.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by hginPHL
I traveled to HNL frequently last year, and avoided this route like the plague. First is better than coach (which is BRUTAL) on these old birds, but not by much.

I ended up flying through DFW or LAX on AA instead of through PHX on US as if I got stuck in coach I could still get MCE and be somewhat comfortable.

If you are going to use miles, I'd go through DFW on the 767 with a nice F product. LAX is mostly 757s, which are eons better than US's 757s, but I like the 767 better.

So, I guess the moral of the story is, until US starts flying a different plane to HNL from PHX, I'm not flying that route unless I absolutely have to.
Thanks, that was pretty much what I gathered. AA doesn't have any great business saver flights that go from tpa-hnl for the few weeks im looking at. It's sounding like a better option to just purchase an exit row seat on one of the better routes (dfw/lax-hnl) and save the 30K miles.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
It's not great to be fair. My review is at the blog but this is what I wrote:

We arrived in Phoenix on time and instead of the very long walk between gates I had been expecting, we were moved to the same concourse as my connecting flight to Honolulu. The Admirals Club was closed for renovation and I didn’t want to trek to the other concourse. The onwards 757 was waiting for us at the gate. This old US 757 was certainly looking its age when we boarded. The small First Class cabin was accessible through a mini-economy cabin. I was seated at the bulkhead in row 2 which had a large foot well. Perfect for storing the pillow and blanket.

The whole review is here.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
I took one of the old US 757's they use on the Hawaii route to PVR in April - the interior of the plane was pure old junk.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: WFBF
Flew it in F last October. Then flew the AA 757 LAX-OGG in F in March.

To be honest, didn't feel there was much difference in the quality of the hard product: both are old, beat-up, outdated interiors. Can't comment much on service as I spent as much time as possible asleep on each flight.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I'm in Hawaii as we speak. Booked F using miles and would do it again. the wife and I had a pleasant flight
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
LUS: First class PHX to Honolulu (LUS "West" 757-200 / 752)

First class PHX to Honolulu
This is a joke. Plane is a 757 about 20 years old. No Wifi or power connection in first class. Food is terrible. I don't know why they named this first class. 6 hours of drama quality.
For 6 hours why don't they use a flat lie configuration?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.