Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Help! Booking Int'l Flights but have question about CP Upgrade Certs and Companion

Help! Booking Int'l Flights but have question about CP Upgrade Certs and Companion

Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:58 am
Original Poster

I am a CP and interested in booking 2 RT flights to Oslo on 8/20. I haven't used my Envoy upgrade certificates so believe I have 2 certs which would get me AND my companion Envoy upgrades (if seats are available) for both directions right? Has the $1400 restriction been removed by 8/20 or was that for at the end of Aug?

Do you know the rules for using the certs - do they have to be on my same itinerary? Do I book and THEN call CP desk and apply the certs? If my friend books his flight separately, is there a way I can combine the itineraries after the fact so I can get him upgraded to Envoy with my companion cert?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:19 am
Original Poster

here's what i found out - I have to wait until after 8/15 to request the Envoy upgrade which is when that $1400 min fare restriction goes away.

Even if passenger books separate reservation, they can process upgrade for myself and that companion as long as we are on the same flight

so now the only risk is waiting til after 8/15 to request the upgrade when the flight is 8/20 and Envoy might get filled.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Don't know where you are located, but the CP certs also cover the domestic portion of the flight IF it is available, otherwise you can work with the usual upgrade routines. For me, being at a hub where u/g's to PHL are difficult to get, it was worth the effort to find flights where both the TATL and domestic portion linked up.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
When the new UG rules kick in, do CP's not have to pay $300 each way to use their UG certs? This could make going for CP w/ an MR worthwhile this year. Could be on the same Oslo flight for the dbl preferred miles.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by PittDoc
When the new UG rules kick in, do CP's not have to pay $300 each way to use their UG certs? ...
On/after Aug 15, the CP certs become valuable again, with complimentary upgrades on any fare, plus taxes/fees and subject to availability, of course.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PittDoc
When the new UG rules kick in, do CP's not have to pay $300 each way to use their UG certs? This could make going for CP w/ an MR worthwhile this year. Could be on the same Oslo flight for the dbl preferred miles.
can you explain the double preferred miles you mentioned? is this for booking with mastercard?

btw, i booked a flight to sweden at the end of august and called CP and they said i have to wait until after 8/15 to request the upgrade. called and emailed and both said the same thing i've flown like 120k miles this year and given them considerable business and have 2 upgrade certs and would be flying after the 8/15 minimum fare gets removed and have heard other people got upgraded even with the requirement - wish they'd just do me a favor...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.