Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS A320 / 320 – First class seating, best seats (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The legacy US Airways Airbus A320 at this time doesn’t offer at-seat power or any IFE options

From https://airlinesfleet.com/american-airlines-fleet-airbus-a320-200-details-and-pictures/american-airlines-airbus-a320-200-first-class-seats/
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum

Guys,

Excuse me if this is discussed somewhere, and please do point me in the right direction if it is, but while I'm very familiar with the First product on the 738 and I know what First looks like on the new two cabin A321, I have no idea what the A320 first class is like? Are these ex US aircraft?
I can see AA have new A319s too, but cannot find any reference to A320s.

Would appreciate some insight...

Thanks!

Searching a little further it does look like the A320 are indeed US aircarft and these are the seats I can expect?

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 10, 2015 at 7:32 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: Free Agent
Those are the seats. Fairly standard first class.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Those are them. Pretty standard. I like rows 1 or 2. I dislike row 3.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I dislike row 3.
Especially when there are coats on the hooks behind you, preventing you from reclining the seat.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:29 pm

those aren't "first", they're economy+. Why do american carriers insist on calling it first when its barely larger or roomier than economy?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nmh1204
those aren't "first", they're economy+. Why do american carriers insist on calling it first when its barely larger or roomier than economy?
22% greater pitch F over Y and 17% greater width F over Y. If you don't find value, you should definitely fly some other carrier.

Perhaps "Club Europe" for a blocked middle seat?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
22% greater pitch F over Y and 17% greater width F over Y. If you don't find value, you should definitely fly some other carrier.

Perhaps "Club Europe" for a blocked middle seat?
looks the same pitch as economy.

club europe is economy with a huge price tag. no thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
You need to broaden your perspective.

BA call their tragic seats on short - medium haul A320 family "Club Europe" and "Business".

The seats are three by three across (middle seat blocked, but it's nonetheless a coach width seat) and offers a most parsimonious 30" (thirty inches) of seat pitch. (Another recent "enhancement" bringing uniformity to their aircraft .)

Fly that and in comparison a US or AA narrow body "First" (yes, IMO they should call it Business, which it magically becomes if it flys out of the USA) and suddenly, we're feeling so much better.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:17 pm

A US 319 has 38 inch pitch and 21 inch seat width.

A BA domestic or Europe 319 has 34 30” inch pitch and 17 inch seat width.

So I have no idea what the poster is is talking about when he calls domestic F simply Y+.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 10, 2018 at 12:26 pm Reason: Correct
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:51 am

A US 319 has 38 inch pitch and 21 inch seat width.

A BA domestic or Europe 319 has 34 inch pitch and 17 inch seat width.

So I have no idea what the poster is is talking about when he calls domestic F simply Y+.
having flown delta "first", my knees were touching the seat in front, and i had no room either side, I'd say that's economy+, wouldn't you? the only airline with first that actually looks like a first product is virgin, or american on their a321t, but that's not the same as their standard first.

And in the picture above, the seat pitch looks exactly the same as economy.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:16 am

having flown delta "first", my knees were touching the seat in front, and i had no room either side, I'd say that's economy+, wouldn't you? the only airline with first that actually looks like a first product is virgin, or american on their a321t, but that's not the same as their standard first.

And in the picture above, the seat pitch looks exactly the same as economy.
You're basing a perception on a photo taken from an angle. Do you have the ability to measure distance precisely with visual queues?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
looks the same pitch as economy.
Looks are deceiving. I can tell you, with my experience of being upgraded to First on 95% of my flights on US Airways when I was a CP, that my flights were way more comfortable than the 5% of the times I was not upgraded. And, on those other flights, I always had either a bulkhead seat or an exit seat.

And I'm talking for the A321, the A320, the A319, the Embraers, the Boeings.....the whole US Airways domestic collection.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:43 am

Just so we can stop the nonsense of how grand First class used to be 20 or 30 years ago, I've found a photo from a.net showing what PanAm first class looked like then...

And that is first on a PanAm 747 (flying international routes).

International business/first is certainly a heck of a lot better today on the hard product.

Here is a domestic PanAm 727

I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of difference between then and today...
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Just so we can stop the nonsense of how grand First class used to be 20 or 30 years ago, I've found a photo from a.net showing what PanAm first class looked like then...

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/im...1025163502.jpg

And that is first on a PanAm 747 (flying international routes).

International business/first is certainly a heck of a lot better today on the hard product.

Here is a domestic PanAm 727

http://www.everythingpanam.com/image...20NA%20727.jpg

I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of difference between then and today...
I'd like to try that domestic first - seat looks very spacious and comfortable. Not a game changer by any means, but comfortable.

That international "first," on the other hand - the designer of the cabin ought to have been sent to prison for that color scheme...

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 16, 2015 at 11:59 am Reason: Deleted IMG tags to avoid repeating images
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by vhrum
I'd like to try that domestic first - seat looks very spacious and comfortable. Not a game changer by any means, but comfortable.

That international "first," on the other hand - the designer of the cabin ought to have been sent to prison for that color scheme...
IADCAflyer is spot on.

The domestic F seat was unyielding, slab-backed crap. Similar, though lower back, (but still scant to no neck support) is the AA 757 "Eisenhower" seat.

The international F was like a hobbled home recliner, size about on par with the way pre-NGBC non-flat "woolly mammoth" AA F product, but in cloth. Certainly eclipsed by the older angled lie flat Business product, and even the previous recliner with leg rests Business seat.

And, no, BA CE doesn't offer decent seat pitch on the Airbus products; to the contrary, it offers a miserly thirty inches of seat pitch. Fly that on, say, LHR-ATH or IST and if you're tall you're feeling like you've been pretzelled for hours.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 16, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.