Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DCA-PHL Service being cut/downgraded further..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle

Just noticed my flights from DCA-PHL-MAD-PHL-DCA had a schedule change. They removed the 3:15 departure on the Airbus 319. Now there are no decent connections to the Transatlantic flights without sitting in PHL for over 4 hours. It also appears that all but one of the flights are operated by CRJs now with no first class. These flights were usually pretty full, and carried lots of crew members to work. I wonder if this is a slow dismantling of PHL? Do you think the flight will eventually come back? Just surprises me that the DC area is being forced on the JFK/ORD/CLT transatlantic flights if you want to sit the entire way in First/Business.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by chrisk84
These flights were usually pretty full, and carried lots of crew members to work.
If there are lots of crew members on those flights, it probably means "full, but not full of paying passengers".

I wonder if this is a slow dismantling of PHL? Do you think the flight will eventually come back?
Thinking that you might have a better use for an A319 than a 119 mile flight, and figuring 40 minutes in Y might be OK for a DCA passenger connecting to J probably doesn't mean they're dismantling the PHL hub.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:49 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I would imagine they have found better use of the slots, possibly for city pairs with strong O&D demand.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Welcome to the LGA-PHL schedule.....seriously AA has much better things to use these precious slots for than 10x+ per day from DCA/LGA to PHL.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Just noticed my flights from DCA-PHL-MAD-PHL-DCA had a schedule change. They removed the 3:15 departure on the Airbus 319. Now there are no decent connections to the Transatlantic flights without sitting in PHL for over 4 hours. It also appears that all but one of the flights are operated by CRJs now with no first class. These flights were usually pretty full, and carried lots of crew members to work. I wonder if this is a slow dismantling of PHL? Do you think the flight will eventually come back? Just surprises me that the DC area is being forced on the JFK/ORD/CLT transatlantic flights if you want to sit the entire way in First/Business.
Very unfortunate to hear. That flight was always full of pax connecting to int'l destinations. I know I've used it tons of times. They should have cut the stupid 11:40am departure on the CRJ that is ALWAYS delayed or going tech.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:14 pm

Checked out this thread just because I was curious how they could downgrade the PHL-DCA service...throw pax out the back of the RJ while over the Potomac? Eliminate the bus and make them walk to 35x? In all seriousness, the state of that route is sad. But to OP's comment, the treatment of DCA-JFK isnt much better...mostly 35x single class RJs. If you want TATL all in F, sad to say the most likely way is to do the LGA/JFK split.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
When are you looking at flights? On both Dec 11 and Feb 11 (to choose random days) I see a 3:17 pm DCA-PHL on a 319.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PHL-DCA (and vv) is a route devoid of O&D, as practically all O&D traffic takes the train. US has made extensive TATL schedule reductions this winter, including from PHL. Because practically every passenger on DCA-PHL is connecting, the reduction in frequencies means not as many connecting seats will be necessary on DCA-PHL.

To answer the OP's question: No, this isn't the beginning of the takedown of the PHL hub.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by superweak
When are you looking at flights? On both Dec 11 and Feb 11 (to choose random days) I see a 3:17 pm DCA-PHL on a 319.
I checked random dates in Jan/Feb/Mar and saw the same flight operating.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I checked random dates in Jan/Feb/Mar and saw the same flight operating.
The schedule past Nov/Dec is not fully set. AA is gradually updating the winter schedule and sets the schedule month by month.

If you look at PHL-ORD in Jan there are flights at 9:40, 9:45, 3:50, 3:59 that are likely reminants of the separate AA & US schedules that have not yet been optimized.

The 1:45 DCA-PHL flt does create about a 3 hour connection to the ~6pm hour TA departure bank from PHL. The ~6:45 DCA-PHL flt can handle connections to PHL's ~9pm TA bank.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It makes sense for US/AA to downguage aircraft and frequency on days when it is doing the same for TATL.

1. The northeast micro-hops are the first to be delayed/cancelled when ATC backs up, as it does between WAS-BOS on many days. That causes rebooking nightmares in and of itself.

2. Many people I know who work in downtown DC and still want to fly xPHL, take Amtrak / SEPTA as the door-to-gate time can be faster and is far more reliable.

3. Once under a SOC, I'm not sure how AA operates TATL hubs at JFK & PHL, both of which are subject to the same ATC and WX vagaries. The terms of the US acquisition of AA require than PHL survive as a hub for three years, but that doesn't mean the exact same volume.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
The terms of the US acquisition of AA require than PHL survive as a hub for three years, but that doesn't mean the exact same volume.
That's not quite true. Here's what I found on the matter:

In the settlement agreement with the state Attorneys General, the new American has agreed to maintain its hubs in Charlotte, New York (Kennedy), Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago (O'Hare), Philadelphia, and Phoenix consistent with historical operations for a period of three years. In addition, with limited exceptions, for a period of five years, the new American will continue to provide daily scheduled service from one or more of its hubs to each plaintiff state airport that has scheduled daily service from either American or US Airways.

Thus, new AA needs to provide service at hubs "consistent with historical operations". I interpret that to mean that if a hub has 350 daily departures, it needs to maintain that level but not necessarily to the same cities.

Furthermore, the 5-year guarantee for daily service to the airports served by either carrier to the states that joined the suit, provides flexibility to change hubs but still maintain that promise.

In light of the discussion of the PHL-DCA service, as pointed out, it's primarily there for connecting traffic to Europe. Since new AA has other hubs with Europe service, it may be less reliant on the DCA-PHL service. Also, taking into play the close distance between both cities, it may be prudent to adjust that service. Given that DCA is also slot constraint, those slots may be better utilized elsewhere.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nova08
The schedule past Nov/Dec is not fully set. AA is gradually updating the winter schedule and sets the schedule month by month.
If the schedule is not fully set, how would one know now that their flight is no longer operating; and thus, this thread?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
That's not quite true. Here's what I found on the matter:

In the settlement agreement with the state Attorneys General, the new American has agreed to maintain its hubs in Charlotte, New York (Kennedy), Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago (O'Hare), Philadelphia, and Phoenix consistent with historical operations for a period of three years. In addition, with limited exceptions, for a period of five years, the new American will continue to provide daily scheduled service from one or more of its hubs to each plaintiff state airport that has scheduled daily service from either American or US Airways.

Thus, new AA needs to provide service at hubs "consistent with historical operations". I interpret that to mean that if a hub has 350 daily departures, it needs to maintain that level but not necessarily to the same cities.
Historical operations is a pretty loose concept. As opposed to current operations. About a decade ago, CLT only had about 550 daily departures. Today, it's over 700 flights. Moreover, is the term operations referring to capacity or flights? You can switch out 6 daily E145 flights with 4 E175 ones. Service would be cut by 1/3; but capacity would slightly increase.

And what are these AGs going to do anyway? Dissolve the merger? Right! The cake is baked. The two airlines are now operating under 1 FAA certificate. I think these AGs were more concerned with not losing service in their repective states at the smaller airports. Like ILM in NC. Or ROA in VA, for example.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
It makes sense for US/AA to downguage aircraft and frequency on days when it is doing the same for TATL.

1. The northeast micro-hops are the first to be delayed/cancelled when ATC backs up, as it does between WAS-BOS on many days. That causes rebooking nightmares in and of itself.

2. Many people I know who work in downtown DC and still want to fly xPHL, take Amtrak / SEPTA as the door-to-gate time can be faster and is far more reliable.

3. Once under a SOC, I'm not sure how AA operates TATL hubs at JFK & PHL, both of which are subject to the same ATC and WX vagaries. The terms of the US acquisition of AA require than PHL survive as a hub for three years, but that doesn't mean the exact same volume.

All understood, but the biggest gripe I have is that this is the only remaining mainline flight to PHL. There's a morning flight on Republic (usually operates between 7:40-7:59 depending on the schedule), and then an evening one during the 6:00 hour which is usually too late for most TATL connections. Why they don't axe one of the numerous CRJ or Dash flights if they need the slots is beyond me. If they need the slots, they should just run a 5-6 175s or Airbuses a day, similar to the way DCA-JFK is now being operated (which is now all 737s, 175s, and one 145).

Last edited by GotCalcio4; Aug 15, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.